Amazon Books To Post Restant?

lifemagic

I need two academic books sent here, not available locally. I found them both at Amazon, but one is only on the US amazon.com and one on the amazon.co.uk. I searched here and found that people have received books OK this way, but I'm only semi-permanent hotel-wise, so would have to use post restant. I walked up to the main one, up by the train station, and the guy said no problem. I'm just checking; anyone done that? You think it would be tax free? Wouldn't be stolen or anything?

But, the other book from amazon in England... they will only ship to the address that is the billing address for the credit card (So many rules in England, I couldn't even open a bank account there). My billing address is in England, but there's no one to send it on. There's no way around this is there?

Lastly, while I'm at it, the only other thing I could do with that I can't get, is St. Johns Wort (the herbal medicine). Would that be ok to send. It would be from a different company obviously. It wouldn't create any issues as it is a medicine, wouldn't create any tax problems?

Thanks for any answer.

Unless the package is sent registered Airmail form the USA (where you must sign for it), you will never receive the package. The U.S. postal service will charge you about $25.00 USD for a 2 lb. registered Airmail package and I don't think (I may be wrong) that Amazon will provide this service for you.

You had better check to make sure that it is legal to posses St. John's Wort in Thailand, and also if it is legal to import. A friend was looking to have some herbal weight loss supplements (legal in some European countries, Canada and America) sent here by post, and a Pharmacist told him it was illegal to posses and import to Thailand and that he could be in a lot of trouble if the package was opened.

Lastly, you may be liable for duty, especially on packages sent from the USA.

Lastly, while I'm at it, the only other thing I could do with that I can't get, is St. Johns Wort (the herbal medicine). Would that be ok to send. It would be from a different company obviously. It wouldn't create any issues as it is a medicine, wouldn't create any tax problems?

Thanks for any answer.

A lot of drug stores stock St John's Wort, try the ones in Airport Plaza - you won't have a problem.

Good answers, thank you.

So... the answer about the book, i.e. I won't receive it unless registered... means it would be stolen at post restante? But if I'm willing to pay expensive postage and find a proper postal address, it would be OK? I might be prepared to pay over the odds for it as my only alternative is to go to Hong Kong where it's for sale.

Concerning St. John's Wort, I certainly hope it's allowed as I bought five months worth from UK, but I'll pop into Airport Plaza when I go to immigration next time.

Thanks again.

It may not directly relevant, but I have had some 20 or 30 hard-cover books sent to me in Chiangmai from England by ordinary post, all with values included in the invoices (some of which were quite substantial). None has ever gone missing. I was once charged a small duty on one volume (which was a mistake, I believe, but one more easily dealt with by simply paying it).

Even better answers. Presumably the book people received were to a postal address.

Having searched other threads, I found most people didn't have such luck ordering, and were recommending Amazon.

I'm trying to think of a place to ask about ordering it, you think it would come in reasonable time?

Megabooks ( http://www.megabooksthailand.com/index.php )accepts orders for books not listd at their website. You may send email direct to their customerservice department.

Asia Books ( http://www.asiabook.com ) likely have a similar sevice. Ditto http://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/indexohb.cgi?AREA=07

There are also two used bookstores (that I know of) in BKK that deliver:

http://dasabookcafe.com.www.readyplanet.ne...359&Ntype=3

and

http://www.thailandusedbooks.com/

Last, but not least there's the many fine second hand bookstores in Chiang mai including, but not limited to Gecko Books and Backstreet Books (next to Gecko main branch, I think).

You could also walk into any Bookazine store to see if they'll accept orders.

The only time I had to pay extra (and boy did I have to pay —2000 Bht for an order of books worth 3000 Bht) was when I ordered from Dover Publications and it was sent by UPS.

Good luck

The only time I had to pay extra (and boy did I have to pay —2000 Bht for an order of books worth 3000 Bht) was when I ordered from Dover Publications and it was sent by UPS.

Good luck

NEVER use UPS or FedEx, etc. to receive items in Thailand unless money is not an issue for you. You will end up paying duty. Use the postal service, registered mail, and have the sender declare a very low value and a "gift". You will not have to pay duty this way.