Laminate Flooring

longball53098

Hey all,

I'm starting to get very close to choosing flooring products for the new house build. I thought the standard tile would do but we are now considering the laminate wood floor products but at this point I am dumb about the quality, durability and cost versus tile.

We would consider the kitchen and bedroom as possible locations for this type of floor.

My budget will allow about 400 baht per square meter for a tile floor including labor.

Can I buy and install a decent laminate floor for this cost?

I will start the research at the local home centers to get an education.

But any experiences from the peanut gallery are welcome

Thanks

Edited by longball53098

The cheapest form of laminated flooring is a piece of finishing paper glued onto MDF boards. Cost including installation is around Bt550-600/m2.

Where not to use laminated flooring: humid or wet areas (kitchen?) and homes having problem with termites.

If bedroom has an attached bathroom, put a rug in the bathroom next to the door to ensure you do not have wet feet stepping on the laminated floor.

My searching over the weekend showed me that indeed there are laminate and engineered wood floors at the home centers.

For my budget the available ones I looked at were too expensive. Just the material cost was an average of 900 baht per square meter. Then you have to pay someone to install it. I'm guessing 150 to 200 /sqm so this type of floor for me is out at this point. I can put down a rather nice tile floor for about 400 /sqm and be happy.

• 4 months later...
My searching over the weekend showed me that indeed there are laminate and engineered wood floors at the home centers.

For my budget the available ones I looked at were too expensive. Just the material cost was an average of 900 baht per square meter. Then you have to pay someone to install it. I'm guessing 150 to 200 /sqm so this type of floor for me is out at this point. I can put down a rather nice tile floor for about 400 /sqm and be happy.

When you buy it a this price home pro installs it for free.

But what about termites ? Any risk in Condo ?

Thanks.

I have laminate wood floor in my kitchen and living room. I have been VERY happy with it and after 5 years it still look as good as new. No problem with spilling a bit of water in the kitchen area.

It is laid on a thin layer of cork, making it much softer to walk on than teak or ceramic tile floor.

post-67623-1247996387_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I rent a house and upstairs has the cheapest form of laminate flooring, (as mentioned above). It's terrible. When ever water comes through the windows, (the windows are crap too), or the kids run come out of the bathroom the floor swells. The house is less than 4 years old and the floor has blisters everywhere.

Laminate flooring looks lovely, Sorensons picture shows this, but just don't buy the cheapest stuff.

I rent a house and upstairs has the cheapest form of laminate flooring, (as mentioned above). It's terrible. When ever water comes through the windows, (the windows are crap too), or the kids run come out of the bathroom the floor swells. The house is less than 4 years old and the floor has blisters everywhere.

Laminate flooring looks lovely, Sorensons picture shows this, but just don't buy the cheapest stuff.

Probably sliding aluminum windows with the outer most ridge piece having the same height as the inner most frame. When it rains, water collects in the sliding channel and wind will just blow water down along the 2 inside corners and onto the laminate flooring.

Same problem with the sliding aluminum windows in many class C condos, if owners bother to look.