Oz Spouse Visa

How many months after approval of an Australian spouse visa does one get to leave Thailand and arrive in Aus?  3 or 6?

Thanks!

It depends on the date you indicated in your application as wanting to arrive in Australia. If it is longer than 3 months after the date of issue then you will be given six months. If you are not then you ought to go back and ask for a reissue.

How many months after approval of an Australian spouse visa does one get to leave Thailand and arrive in Aus?  3 or 6?

Thanks!

hey Taxidriver, MIne, which was a multiple entry, valid until cancelled one that permits working, but no medicare or welfare access, had a compulsory requirement that she travel to OZ within 12 months of issue, even if she only stayed a day, which she sort of did. We got the visa Feb 2003, she went in feb 2004 for 3 weeks.. This entry into OZ apparently activates the next stage of the process.. permanent residency I think.

The visa was issued 2 years ago next month but havent heard a word since & wonder if it is normal or because we dont stay there much. We have both been back again last year for a month or so but thats all in the 2 years.

Maybe they have changed it since.

Hope this assists.

Thanks!

hey Taxidriver, MIne, which was a multiple entry, valid until cancelled one that permits working, but no medicare or welfare access, had a compulsory requirement that she travel to OZ within 12 months of issue, even if she only stayed a day, which she sort of did. We got the visa Feb 2003, she went in feb 2004 for 3 weeks.. This entry into OZ apparently activates the next stage of the process.. permanent residency I think.

The visa was issued 2 years ago next month but havent heard a word since & wonder if it is normal or because we dont stay there much. We have both been back again last year for a month or so but thats all in the 2 years.

Hope this assists.

In the next two year period, she has to stay in Oz for the total 12 months of the last year. Every overseas absence is added on. Without the 12 month in country stay, Oz citizenship is not achievable

The spouse does get the medicare card on a 309 visa kiwijack.

The date she must enter Oz is on the supporting letter she gets with the visa, I dont know how long it is.

My wife got hers in late february and had to enter b4 the end of november, we applied for the visa in november so maybe its a year from date of application.

Have never been able to work that one out.

Remember also that if she returns to LOS, then another police clearance is neccessary.

Thanks!

Hope this assists.

In the next two year period, she has to stay in Oz for the total 12 months of the last year. Every overseas absence is added on. Without the 12 month in country stay, Oz citizenship is not achievable

Thks doc for the info.. As I am working in China at present I havent been able to check on status easily.

Do I understand u correctly that now, given 2 years have elapsed from the initial application during which time only brief periods have been spent in OZ, that it is imperative that over the next 2 years she must spend 50% of the time, ie 12 months, in OZ or 12 months continuous, & if so does that have to be the 4th year from lodgement date? Or can she stay continuously for any 12 month period within the next 2 years?

Thks too Bronco for medicare advice.

Thanks!

Hope this assists.

Thks doc for the info.. As I am working in China at present I havent been able to check on status easily.

Do I understand u correctly that now, given 2 years have elapsed from the initial application during which time only brief periods have been spent in OZ, that it is imperative that over the next 2 years she must spend 50% of the time, ie 12 months, in OZ or 12 months continuous, & if so does that have to be the 4th year from lodgement date? Or can she stay continuously for any 12 month period within the next 2 years?

In the last 12 months every day out of Oz is added to that 12 months.

Thanks!

Hope this assists.

In the last 12 months every day out of Oz is added to that 12 months.

Thanks Doc..... But it must be my Paddy ancestory as still uncertain what is required. I will check with OZ Embassy when back in BKK , April, but meanwhile, do I understand correctly that during the 3rd& 4th years, from application date, she must stay in OZ without a break for 12 months before the permanent residency is considered/offered. Furthermore if this isnt done in the 4th year then she gets more time to do it.. ie the current visa situation just continues until she completes a 12 month continuous stay?

I might add that we didnt initially want PR but were told that after getting 2 tourist visas that they wouldnt give us any more ( " because we had had 2 already!!") & staff, incl. expat. visa dept. head, insisted that we apply for the partner visa.. 302? So didnt check it all out that thoroughly at the time. Now I have decided to take it all the way for future benefits for her .

If it is not a hassle can u say it simply for me, otherwise I will wait til April. I do appreciate the attempts!! Thank you.

Well, we have finally got everything together and we will apply on Friday, however I need to ask a few more questions please:

Can we pay cash at the embassy?

Will just 2 stat decs suffice?

Her passport has got English, so we didn't translate it and it also has her name change from when we got married. Is this ok or can someone at the embassy certify it if neccessary?

Thanks!