"marriage Visa"

I'm a British national, 46 years old and have been living in Thailand for almost 7 years.

Looks like I'm going to get hitched later on this year, so am hoping to get a "marriage visa" in due course.

I'm up to speed with all the documentation we'll need, I'm just a bit confused over the financial requirements.

I believe I will need to show 400,000 in a Thai bank account, or an income of 40,000 a month, or a combination of both.

My question is, does the income have to be coming into a Thai bank. I can show a gross income of 100,000 from my property in the UK and a net income of 65,000 after deductions -ie mortgage, letting agent's fees etc. This is deposited in my UK bank and I live off the ATM over here.

If I have bank statements and statements fro the agents showing the income, will this suffice to get the visa?

To get a Class O visa, just go to Thai diplomatic post with copy of marriage certificate and signed copy of wifes ID card and house registration, anbd they will give you the visa. With that, you can enter Thailand with a non-immigrant entry permit, which will initially be valid for 90 days.

If you are talking about getting a long-term extension to that entry permit on the basis of supporting a Thai spouse, then what you need to do is open Thai bank account beraing your apssport name, and remit into that account from overseas an amount of at least 400,000 baht - and do so each year.

Money overseas does not count. Money withdrawn via ATM does not count. All that counts (unless you have legal income from legal employment within Thailand) is - exactly - documentation of 400,000 baht remitted from overseas into a Thai bank account bearing your passport name.

So - bring over 400,000 baht - and then live by spending that down. Meanwhile, each year, accumulate a fresh 400,000 baht in an account overseas, which you can then trigger to wire money to your Thai account. Once you have that amount prepositioned overseas, then you can revert back to living off ATM withdrawals, using fresh overseas income. But - in advance of applying for annual renewal of your extended entry permit, wire the next 400,000 baht to your Thai account. You can continue this pattern forever.

I is not worth the effort to fight this. Just go along with it.

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Will add that the bank account can be a joint account with your wife and that you will be considered employed overseas in the eyes of immigration with that is your source of funds.

It should always be savings coming into a Thai bank account, from previous tax year, to avoid any question of tax payment due.

The 400k does not have to come into Thailand in one transfer but the larger the transfer the less the fees will hit you.

I would use a local atm card to live on your bank account here rather than drawing funds from outside that are not going to help you prove support. Also no fee for local cards.

Unless you are employed here would not try to use combination of funds/income - the income has to be paperwork from your Embassy if you do use it. Easier to just show the 400k each year at extension time for most people.

To get a Class O visa, just go to Thai diplomatic post with copy of marriage certificate and signed copy of wifes ID card and house registration, anbd they will give you the visa.  With that, you can enter Thailand with a non-immigrant entry permit, which will initially be valid for 90 days.

If you are talking about getting a long-term extension to that entry permit on the basis of supporting a Thai spouse, then what you need to do is open  Thai bank account beraing your apssport name, and remit into that account from overseas an amount of at least 400,000 baht - and do so each year.

Money overseas does not count.  Money withdrawn via ATM does not count.  All that counts (unless you have legal income from legal  employment within Thailand) is - exactly - documentation of 400,000 baht remitted from overseas into a Thai bank account bearing your passport name.

So - bring over 400,000 baht - and then live by spending that down.  Meanwhile, each year, accumulate a fresh 400,000 baht in an account overseas, which you can then trigger to wire money to your Thai account.  Once you have that amount prepositioned overseas, then you can revert back to living off ATM withdrawals, using fresh overseas income.  But - in advance of applying for annual renewal of your extended entry permit, wire the next 400,000 baht to your Thai account.  You can continue this pattern forever.

I is not worth the effort to fight this.  Just go along with it.

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

I thought all you had to do each year was "top-up" the Thai bank account to 400K and show that balance in your account.

In other words if you had spent 300K through the year and had 100K left, just before you went to apply for next years extension you would transfer 300K in to make the balance 400K.

TH

:o

To get a Class O visa, just go to Thai diplomatic post with copy of marriage certificate and signed copy of wifes ID card and house registration, anbd they will give you the visa.  With that, you can enter Thailand with a non-immigrant entry permit, which will initially be valid for 90 days.

If you are talking about getting a long-term extension to that entry permit on the basis of supporting a Thai spouse, then what you need to do is open  Thai bank account beraing your apssport name, and remit into that account from overseas an amount of at least 400,000 baht - and do so each year.

Money overseas does not count.  Money withdrawn via ATM does not count.  All that counts (unless you have legal income from legal  employment within Thailand) is - exactly - documentation of 400,000 baht remitted from overseas into a Thai bank account bearing your passport name.

So - bring over 400,000 baht - and then live by spending that down.  Meanwhile, each year, accumulate a fresh 400,000 baht in an account overseas, which you can then trigger to wire money to your Thai account.  Once you have that amount prepositioned overseas, then you can revert back to living off ATM withdrawals, using fresh overseas income.  But - in advance of applying for annual renewal of your extended entry permit, wire the next 400,000 baht to your Thai account.  You can continue this pattern forever.

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

I thought all you had to do each year was "top-up" the Thai bank account to 400K and show that balance in your account.

In other words if you had spent 300K through the year and had 100K left, just before you went to apply for next years extension you would transfer 300K in to make the balance 400K.

TH

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

TH

That will satisfy them. Top up is permitted.

I will go and live with my Thai wife in Bangkok in 2006 We will get me a non-immigrant O visa as well. And I thought I had everything figured out until I read the above. I don't need 40k to get the non-immigrant o one unless I want a long term extention? So if I want to stay there for the rest of my life I need to have 40k for three years until I get my permanent residence permit?

I will go and live with my Thai wife in Bangkok in 2006 We will get me a non-immigrant O visa as well. And I thought I had everything figured out until I read the above. I don't need 40k to get the non-immigrant o one unless I want a long term extention? So if I want to stay there for the rest of my life I need to have 40k for three years until I get my permanent residence permit?

You will need 400k not 40k and you should not expect to receive PR in only three years in any case. That is the minimum requirement to even apply.

Ok. 400k(= € 8255,93) a year on a Thai bankaccount. At the end of each "term" I will have to make sure it is 400K again.

Every 90 days I have to "report" which can be done in written.

Even though my wife can support me I will have to show I have at least 400K in a Thai bankaccount? Even though www.thaivisa.com says:

" Application Form TM.7.

Copy and original of passport or substitute document.

One 4*6 cm photo

Marriage certificate

1,900 Baht fee

If an alien is the spporter, he must submit financial evidence, proof of employment, work permit and tax receipts " ?

"IF" doesn't mean that the wife can support the husband as well I guess? :o

Edited by frumau

Unless you are employed here would not try to use combination of funds/income - the income has to be paperwork from your Embassy if you do use it.  Easier to just show the 400k each year at extension time for most people.

So am I correct in stating that this is different from the retirement visa? My understanding up to this point was that I could easily meet the monthly income requirement for a retirement visa, but since my wife is Thai (dual U.S.) that it would be cheaper/easier to go the marraige visa route. But I don't know about being able to accumulate 800KBaht (or even 400)- saving money isn't part of my make up :o

Unless you are employed here would not try to use combination of funds/income - the income has to be paperwork from your Embassy if you do use it.  Easier to just show the 400k each year at extension time for most people.

So am I correct in stating that this is different from the retirement visa? My understanding up to this point was that I could easily meet the monthly income requirement for a retirement visa, but since my wife is Thai (dual U.S.) that it would be cheaper/easier to go the marraige visa route. But I don't know about being able to accumulate 800KBaht (or even 400)- saving money isn't part of my make up :o

Perhaps you should learn? :D

Immigration is not going to be very happy without some money in the bank for either type of extension of stay. For retirement you have the option of O-A obtained in your home country which would not require any money in a Thai bank the first year but later you are going to have to live by what your local immigration office wants to see. And they may want more than a statement from your embassy.

Most of us feel it is prudent to keep a cash supply handy in case of emergency and it only has to be full one time each year.

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Hi Indo-Siam,but this is not what the immigration website says,it says thaibank or income certified from oversea,or evidence of income with related papers,anywyas i know this website is bullshit,but u seem like u know that so i would appreciate it if u could tell other people

Hmmm I got lil question here.

My bf & I are planning to get married here in Thailand and let him live on non-immi (O) for a year or 2 till he get a job

What I'm wondering is... if my bf transfer money into thai Bank say .. 600K and he's granted that visa (based on marriage of couse) And during the year, he tried to look for a job and only used 100K of that money in the Bank a/c. My question is .. When he has to go to Immigration office to extend this visa for another year(still 500K left in bank), will there be any problem? Will the officer ask us to indentify how can my bf live on 100k for 12 months? And if they ask, will i be able to show the officer that I work and has salary too so I help with some expenses? I talked to immigration officer once and she said "just tell the truth and we'll see case by case" ... I definitely will tell them the truth. But I'm just afraid they won't extend visa for my bf.

I have to ask this cose I know how job hunt situation in Thailand can be. My bf might need quite some time before he can get a job. He wants to be here legally. That's why I decide to marry him and will let him request for Non-immi (O) visa so when he gets it, he can have some time to look for a job. Is that a good plan? Any advices?

BTW, my Bf is from the Netherlands. 25 yrs old. With colledge diploma in multimedia design. Does anyone have some advices on the possibility of he getting job here and what kind of job'd that be? ... Or will he be able to be a teacher(with legal WP and teacher's license)? We don't mind much bout rate of salary. Can be 20 K/month or sth. We just need a job so we can show them that money in Bank account we use as a proof stays still every year. No withdraw, no transfer. Cose he has revenue from job here. Cose I think me & my bf are going to use this 400K bank account as money proof to extend non-imm (o) (supporting thai wife) for many years.

Thank you :o

ps. sorry bout my Eng though, hope you guys could get what i was trying to ask.

hi Lopburi,ur 100% right,but where u can get that information on the immigration website,arent u the guy who always said this immigration side is the only place where u can get 100%information?hmmm i think u should think about it again

Perhaps you should learn? :D

Immigration is not going to be very happy without some money in the bank for either type of extension of stay. For retirement you have the option of O-A obtained in your home country which would not require any money in a Thai bank the first year but later you are going to have to live by what your local immigration office wants to see. And they may want more than a statement from your embassy.

Most of us feel it is prudent to keep a cash supply handy in case of emergency and it only has to be full one time each year.

Thanks for all the information.

I'm still confused about the INCOME part. I thought I could show 40,000 Baht a month income (480,000 a year) - minimum - and qualify for the year's extension based on supporting a Thai spouse.

Assuming that I don't have 400,000 as a lump sum, would proof of this income in the UK suffice? Do the authorities want to see it being transferred to a Thai bank account?

Thanks for all the information.

I'm still confused about the INCOME part. I thought I could show 40,000 Baht a month income (480,000 a year) - minimum - and qualify for the year's extension based on supporting a Thai spouse.

Assuming that I don't have 400,000 as a lump sum, would proof of this income in the UK suffice? Do the authorities want to see it being transferred to a Thai bank account?

Extension is for support. Money in the wind (or UK) proves nothing. :o

They are probably going to want to see money in a Thai bank - how much is up to you and them and how your wife explains things and the impression you make. It is one of those grey areas. I believe the income provision is primarily designed to apply to those who make their living here in Thailand and do not have full saving amount in a bank account yet AFAIK.

To get an initial exrtension, you must show that you have capability to support a Thai wife with legal income for one year at 400,000 baht. For follow-on extensions, you must demonstrate that you have actually been supporting Thai wife with legal income - and that you have continuing capability to do so in the future..

If you initially put 400,000 baht in, get an extension, and then - one year later, that bank account still has 350,000 baht in it, and you just want to "top up" - I'd sy that there is a fair chance you will be disapproved - because there is no documentary evidence that you have been supporting your Thai wife.

It does not work to say "wre have been living off wife's income" - because in that case, you do not qualify for extenison based on supporting a Thai wife.

The central point is - if you are not clearly bringing in 400,000 baht from overseas each year, or able to document 40,000 baht per month from legal employment inside Thailand - then the assumption is (often correctly) that you are living off illegal, untaxed income earned while you are in Thailand. I suppose that in a given case, you might talk your way around minor issues - i.e., you only brought 350,000 baht in, because your account still has 50,000 baht left from previous year. But - they are purely looking for evidence that suggests that you are earning illegal, untaxed income - why give it to them?

Steve

Indo-Siam

Thanks again for the info. Reckon I'm getting closer to issue.

I can understand that the authorities here may feel that I'm working illegally in Thailand. However, that is not the case. I can prove, through statements from my letting agents, that I receive a gross income in the UK of 100,000 Baht. After their deductions, there is approx. 85,000 that goes into my UK bank account every month. Bank statements will verify this. After mortgage, endowment policies etc, I'm left with the net amount of @65,000 a month. All taxes are paid in the UK - although I don't suppose that is of interest in Thailand.

Although it costs me money to access the ATM here, I've always felt safer leaving my earnings in the UK. I just spend them here.

I do support my gf/wife to be and she would verify this.

Despite the above, it would seem that what I'm being advised to do is to have the rental income transferred over to a Thai bank each month. Is this the case?

I can understand that the authorities here may feel that I'm working illegally in Thailand. However, that is not the case. I can prove, through statements from my letting agents, that I receive a gross income in the UK of 100,000 Baht. After their deductions, there is approx. 85,000 that goes into my UK bank account every month. Bank statements will verify this. After mortgage, endowment policies etc, I'm left with the net amount of @65,000 a month. All taxes are paid in the UK - although I don't suppose that is of interest in Thailand.

Although it costs me money to access the ATM here, I've always felt safer leaving my earnings in the UK. I just spend them here.

Despite the above, it would seem that what I'm being advised to do is to have the rental income transferred over to a Thai bank each month. Is this the case?

You are being advised to comply with the 400k in a Thai bank account requirement for the type of visa extension of stay you are requesting and that immigration wants to see. Why should police here have to do detective work to figure our your finances? Do what they ask and expect a smooth sea. There is no need to transfer monthly but each year prior to extension time you should top up the bank account here so they can see the 400k in the account and give you approval for another extension of stay. You can still keep most money outside of Thailand if you prefer.

:o You do not have to transfer your total rental income, just open an account and transfer 400K once, and the next year you top the remainder up to 400k.

Although your bankbook should then show that you used at least the bigger part of the 400k within one year, otherwise immi would have serious thoughts about you supporting your wife, if you only use 100k f.e., and they might refuse renewing extension.