Kai Ut Sai - Where To Go For One?

IanForbes

I was turned on to a lovely meal in a little street cafe in Kanchanaburi. I was told it was called Kai ut sai. It is a thin Thai omelet wrapped around various ingredients inside. I now make them for a great meal when I'm home in Canada. Mine taste different than the ones here, but are just as tastey.

Anyone know where they might make on in Chiang Mai? Some Thai places don't understand my Thai very well.

Here is how I make one. I start with 3 eggs and a very hot wok. I only use a tiny bit of oil or grease so the eggs stick JUST A BIT to the pan, but don't glue themselves to the pan. You rotate the pan on its edge to allow the eggs to flow around the wok and form a thin crepe.

I previously make a big stir fry which I only use a small portion of for the omelet

Stir_fry_veg_Em.sized.jpg

Omelette_1_Em.sized.jpg

I like to add some sharp chedder cheese on top of the stir fry to add extra flavour.

Omelette_2_Em.sized.jpg

Just fold over the edges and you've got a great meal for one big guy or two smaller ladies.

Omelette_3_Em.sized.jpg

I was turned on to a lovely meal in a little street cafe in Kanchanaburi. I was told it was called Kai ut sai. It is a thin Thai omelet wrapped around various ingredients inside. I now make them for a great meal when I'm home in Canada. Mine taste different than the ones here, but are just as tastey.

Anyone know where they might make on in Chiang Mai? Some Thai places don't understand my Thai very well.

Here is how I make one. I start with 3 eggs and a very hot wok. I only use a tiny bit of oil or grease so the eggs stick JUST A BIT to the pan, but don't glue themselves to the pan. You rotate the pan on its edge to allow the eggs to flow around the wok and form a thin crepe.

I previously make a big stir fry which I only use a small portion of for the omelet

Stir_fry_veg_Em.sized.jpg

Omelette_1_Em.sized.jpg

I like to add some sharp chedder cheese on top of the stir fry to add extra flavour.

Omelette_2_Em.sized.jpg

Just fold over the edges and you've got a great meal for one big guy or two smaller ladies.

Omelette_3_Em.sized.jpg

I have found dishes which look very much like your final photo--both in vegetarian restaurants [ specifically the one half way up Wualai Road, this one is stuffed with a veggie mix] and various other street stalls, though these are usually filled with minced pork--even seen them in the fresh cooked Thai food section at Topps, ground floor Central Airport Plaza--again these have had a 'pad kaprou' [holy basil, I think] style minced pork stuffing---keep searching you'll find them.

Thanks for the replies, and especially the one with the Thai cooking forum. I'll have to check that one out. I enjoy cooking, but only do it when I'm home in Canada. I catch a lot of salmon and trout in Canada and have some great recipes for their meat. Some are original and some are borrowed.

Anyone who hasn't tried a Kai yat sai should do so. The vegetarian ones are just as delicious as the ones with meat.

The Good Friends bar/ cafe on Loy Kroh road have something similar, but it is their version of Pad Thai. It is the normal stir fried noodles, but it is wrapped in an omelet (English version - omellett) similar to the Kai yat sai. It is a great meal.

Kow pat is my most common meal of the day. It's quick, nutritious and inexpensive.

Start by stir frying ground pork in a hot wok.

Kow_Pat_1.sized.jpg

Add some chopped up veggies: onion, peppers, sliced carrots, tomato and greens

Kow_Pat_2.sized.jpg

Add a bowl full of pre-cooked rice and crack in an egg while continuing stirring.

Kow_Pat_4.sized.jpg

Kow_Pat_5.sized.jpg

And in about 2 minutes... presto... it's done. Serve with sliced cucumber

Kow_Pat_served.jpg

Many (most?) of the small restaurants that do just about any one-dish Thai food do a decent Khai Yad Sai. It's basically a sweet & sour type stir-fry wrapped in an omelet.

If you have trouble pronouncing it then print this: ไข่ยัดใส้

Wow, thanks. There are many Thais that can't understand the slightest mispronunciation but they certainly can understand the printed version... if correct.

Hi Chaing Mai-ees

Our Photo Challenge #2, Thai Food,

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Photo-Challenge-2-t248397.html

is now open until 25th March 2009, so please post your entries. We thank you :D

"Thai Food," which is our second one starts from 10th March until 25th March 2009, Thai Time.

All "Entrée" must be your own blah..blah.. rules are "Pinned" so please take a look at them Here

Good luck to one and all. Lets show them what we can do with this most delicious topic :o

Have fun :D

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

P.S. The next topic will be "Dogs" in 16 days time and after that Songkran/Easter (April 2009) :D