Should Don Muang Airport Be Shut Down And All Airlines Should Operate From Suvarnabhumi?

No problem with closing DM, but the authorities really should get on with building the simple/cheap terminal at Swampy, for low-cost-carriers, which they have been announcing since before the place even opened ! :o Actions speak louder than words, guys. :D

If the latest government needs ideas, on where to spend money to boost transport & the economy, then this is surely a quick/easy option, especially compared to things like a new rail-network, which can only be seen as a very-long-term project.

BKK doesn't have the flight volume internationally or domestically to support two airports in the same general area. London can but not BKK. AOT has enough problems trying to make swampy work efficiently. I think they are having problems just trying to maintain the cracks and dirty windows.

No problem with closing DM, but the authorities really should get on with building the simple/cheap terminal at Swampy, for low-cost-carriers, which they have been announcing since before the place even opened ! :o Actions speak louder than words, guys. :D

If the latest government needs ideas, on where to spend money to boost transport & the economy, then this is surely a quick/easy option, especially compared to things like a new rail-network, which can only be seen as a very-long-term project.

why build a new one when you have an existing airport that can serve as a low cost terminal. It is not as if they are going to rip Don Muang down...it will still be used as an airforce base.....

There's no reason why they shouldn't operate two separate airports, one international and one domestic, provided there is a fast, reliable, convenient mass transit link between the two. It's no bluddy good expecting passengers to lug their baggage via the public taxi service subject to the vagaries of Bangkok traffic.

But of course the ideal, for all parties, must be to operate out of one single airport of sufficient capacity.

The plan was for one airport therefore it is down to the government and AoT to achieve that goal asap. As Ricardo says, where the hel_l is the LCCT they have been talking about virtually since the day Suvarnabumi opened? As anyne who has used the LCCT at KL knows this kind of terminal is little more than a freight shed with some frills so how come they can't even do that in a reasonable timeframe?

decision was already made of relocating all flights from DM to BKK airport - all should happen on 29.03 (so only in a few days). Lenghty disscussion http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Don-Mueang-A...va-t238224.html

in my opinion a wrong move, as good to have a second airport for emergencies, but now looks like they are going back to BKK for good.

How they are going to cope with an overstreched capacity of the airport without a budget terminal is another question. At some stage some airlines will stop flying to BKK and use Phuket or Chang Mai

Edited by londonthai

for sure move the majority of the flights (TG) to swampy as planned 29mar as that would mean less noise polution in an otherwise pleasent nort-western bkk residential areas :o

sure sin or kul single airport several terminals setup is the only proper/logic way to do it.

no need for BKK to emulate the failures of lon/par multiple city airports - well not total failures - alternative setups or should we say 'constraints' ...

I would prefer a low cost terminal similar to the one in Singapore to a separate airport, I agree. It makes more sense in terms of economy as well as passenger convenience.

Did you notice concourse A and B were designed to handle domestic traffic (not a small part of the airport) AND that Don Muang handles about 50 plane movements/day, wow that much yes, beware congestion is near :o

I would prefer a low cost terminal similar to the one in Singapore to a separate airport, I agree. It makes more sense in terms of economy as well as passenger convenience.

Did you notice concourse A and B were designed to handle domestic traffic (not a small part of the airport) AND that Don Muang handles about 50 plane movements/day, wow that much yes, beware congestion is near :o

:D

Don Muang is still a Thai Air Force base as far as I know. Irregardless of what happens, the Thai Air Force will still be there.