Pianowire Traps For Bike Riders?

Cuban

There was another post by a chap chased by locals on 2 bikes with one of the passengers wielding a 4x2.

Was that on the new road by the railway track? A woman was walking home a few days ago and got robbed by a guy on a bike along there. He forced her to get on the bike, took her to a quiet spot, robbed her and thumped her.

It would be worthwhile getting a flat 2" x 1/2 inch steel bar around 20" long (ground into a v on the front) mounted vertically on the handle bars. A local engineering shop could make a strong mounting fairly cheap. It would cut through tie wire, string, light rope, copper cable, piano wire. It's a brute force approach, but it would work.

Reminds me of something out of the Mad Max movies.... :o

Gentlemen - please avoid the focus on whether it was piano wire, a washing line or super high-tech monofilerment for deep-sea fishing. My choice of the term; 'pianowire trap' was to use a phase that communicates the image of the hazard in one short line.

I'm glad that the images have been posted to support this thread, as I did not see the origin of those images nor find any referance on the Pattaya news web sites I looked at, so I did not feel it was correct to say they were without question related to the incident.

In the original thread that I read in another place suggests that this incident is not being covered in the local 'news' media - has anyone seen it covered anywhere 'offical'?

Was theft the objective (I am assuming it was not a targeted attack) ?

Read this yesterday and thought about it a bit.

Brulliant guessqork to get the wire.cord to exactly the height of the vicrims throat. No scraping down jis face or rubbing up his chest.

And the guy must therefore have been riding upright, not leaning forward at all.

Does he have exceptionally long arms, or extended handlebars?

I have doubts about the whole thing happening as described.

....And the guy must therefore have been riding upright, not leaning forward at all.

Depends on the soi (I think) - Was he robbed or an intended target, personal attack? (They really wanted his head? - thinking of the bridge case in BKK a few weeks ago.)

If the rope/line/wire was adjusted to avoid catching the mirrors on most bikes I guess it would ride up the guy's chest as he went through the trap. I further assume that the line was being held by the attacker so that it could be dropped and would not attempt to stop a truck or passing police rider?

It does seem a particular method to employ, static traps would normally be for a reason - if mugging were the motive wouldn't a mobile attack carried out from another bike be more effective - they are common in Pattaya for that very reason.

Brulliant guessqork to get the wire.cord to exactly the height of the vicrims throat. No scraping down jis face or rubbing up his chest.

And the guy must therefore have been riding upright, not leaning forward at all.

You don't exceptionally long arm or handlebars to ride a scooter and these things can get quite a bit of speed up, I can get my Nouvo up to 90Kmh and I'm a guy who is 120Kg.

So my guess is he was probably riding a scoot and not a motorbike.

I'm with you on this. The injury goes over half way around the neck which implies it wasn't really taut when it wrapped and it wasn't something strung between 2 fixed points. So one ore more people holding it, or one end tied to someting that had some give.

Upon impact, the motorcycle would continue forward as would his body. Like a clothesline tackle in American Football. As he's knocked off, the ends of the wounds should wrap upward or scrape upward. Instead they're effectively level. Hard to imagine how that happens if there's any speed involved. Has to be a smack then release of pressure.

A lassoing type of thing does seem to fit. Can cause injury around the neck in one quick motion before the person's body starts going forward. Well, guess you could tie the cable low on a post or something, but someone still has to be throwing it.

The police here aren't going to help you much beyond directing traffic around the Sawang Boriboon Foundation people as they zip up your body bag.

The police these day's don't want to get involved in anything after sunset on the dark side. can't say I blame them really, what's the point of carrying a gun when your out numbered five to one by the kid's out there carrying the same.

It happened to me years ago in the 70's in the UK, fishing line slung across the road and tied off to two lamposts.

Thankfully the fishing line snapped and didn't do to much damage. Unlike the guy in the posted images, I was left with a very thin cut (stung like <deleted>, like a burn) about half way round my neck.

I was riding a sports bike, I would say that for most people on a bike their shoulders and neck would be about 1.3 meters from the deck.

Think about it, doesn't take much guesswork to get the correct height for the line to do maximum damage and the line can be static. If a passing car hits it, the line breaks, simply renew it and wait for an unsuspecting rider to come through.

Looking at the images I would say a steel wire wasn't used since the guy's head is still attached.

To protect his identity, the guy is European and lives in Pattaya. He is not a small guy either and was riding a Honda CB 400. THe weight of both probably helped. He did not come off the bike, whatever it was snapped and he was able to keep riding. He also plays pool, he is very good at it and plays for money. Unfortunately takes the same route home every night after playing. I don,t doubt it was targeted.

He is making a good recovery but I think will carry that scar for life.

There was another post by a chap chased by locals on 2 bikes with one of the passengers wielding a 4x2.

Was that on the new road by the railway track? A woman was walking home a few days ago and got robbed by a guy on a bike along there. He forced her to get on the bike, took her to a quiet spot, robbed her and thumped her.

It would be worthwhile getting a flat 2" x 1/2 inch steel bar around 20" long (ground into a v on the front) mounted vertically on the handle bars. A local engineering shop could make a strong mounting fairly cheap. It would cut through tie wire, string, light rope, copper cable, piano wire. It's a brute force approach, but it would work.

And if you were unlucky enough to hit a pedestrian, what damage would they suffer?