Cobra In The Front Garden

sbk

I don't need a dog; the wife is very good at snakes. We had a cobra in the kitchen and she got her extra-length broom out and in a couple of minutes had ushered it into a strategically-placed plastic bin bag. (Actually just strategically thrown in that general direction by me.) She then took the bag down to the local swamp and undid it.

here here... good for your wife... it's terrible that people can so easily want to kill snakes. :o

far better to simply shush it away. It's not like they move forward and attack, which many dogs DO.

Basically a snake, any snake, is simple to remove by following these simple steps.

1) Under no circumstances try and kill it. Many people get bitten while flailing away at a snake.

2) Get a long stick (a broom handle or piece of bamboo is ideal)

3) Keeping out of striking range attempt to get the stick across the snake's back as close to the snake's head as possible, and using gentle pressure, pin the snake to the floor.

3) Roll the stick up to just behind the snake's head keepinng it pinned to the floor.

4) Once the snake's head is securely pinned down, maintaining pressure on the snake's head, grab the snake behind the head keeping it pinned to the floor but don't pick it up yet.

5) Once you have a safe grip on the snake's head, release the stick and with your free hand grab the body near the tail so it can't wrap itself around you and pick it up and get it outside.

6) When releasing the snake drop the tail first and throw the head away from you.

Basically a snake, any snake, is simple to remove by following these simple steps.

1) Under no circumstances try and kill it. Many people get bitten while flailing away at a snake.

2) Get a long stick (a broom handle or piece of bamboo is ideal)

3) Keeping out of striking range attempt to get the stick across the snake's back as close to the snake's head as possible, and using gentle pressure, pin the snake to the floor.

3) Roll the stick up to just behind the snake's head keepinng it pinned to the floor.

4) Once the snake's head is securely pinned down, maintaining pressure on the snake's head, grab the snake behind the head keeping it pinned to the floor but don't pick it up yet.

5) Once you have a safe grip on the snake's head, release the stick and with your free hand grab the body near the tail so it can't wrap itself around you and pick it up and get it outside.

6) When releasing the snake drop the tail first and throw the head away from you.

Sounds easy Prof. There was a program tonight on UBC about the Russells Viper in Sri Lanka. The pommie expert ( A Ginger with a goatee) had a special claw like hand for them because they were so dangerous, rather than the normal snake stick. Christ the thing was as aggressive as buggery. Rather you than me mate.

sorry wrong

never give anti venom as each snake as its own type even in hospital they tend to give supportive treatment first (iv, oxygen, etc) because depending on time of year (for pit vipers that estivate -- sleep out the winter-- their venom is many times stronger in spring) etc...the amount of venom is diefferent and the types, and improper i.d. of snake can kill a person... we had a one year old bitten this year, his mother is a nurse and she gave him mouth to mouth , he had stopped breathing, and we called ahead to the hospital with the snake i.d. ed by me (i'm the animal person ) the baby still has deep muscle damage to leg but was saved by his quick witted mother

this was in april and our local snake population was just waking up and their eggs were hatching we had snakes every where and it was really a nightmare even for zoo people like me..so we let the cats and weasels do their job ...

the best is just to get to hospital fast with good decscription of snake not waste time killing it even --

a good long handled hoe is a good weapon but unlike pit vipers which are usually slow , other types can be very fast... i am not a 'a good snake is a dead snake' type person, although my thai worker disagrees.with me so have had many an agressive but (semi poisonous) fairly harmless coin backed racer (translated from the hebrew) show up dead in my office as a trophy .

foxes are vulpes and their medical treatments and behavior are similar to cats;

wolf, Family: Canidae Genus: Canis Species: Canis lupus

fox: Family: Canidae Genus: Vulpes Species: Vulpes vulpes

dog:Family: Canidae Genus: Canis Species: Canis lupus Subspecies: Canis lupus familiaris

good site for budding zoologists: http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site...nts/information

anyway: seems to me that tropical snakes are faster than our night hunting desert vipers..... and nastier.....

is there a market for eating them?? my worker didnt want the ones he killed as they were 'too small' (not as thick as his arm, so not worth the bother)

Edited by bina

It really is easier than you may think. If you have to wait for a professional to turn up the snake could get anywhere in your house.

If you really don't want to handle the snake then do steps 1-3 as above and then cover with a basket and slide it to the door using your stick to push the basket.

Bina, a polyvalent anti venin will counter most of the main symptoms of snakebite if the species is unknown.

Chuchok,

The guy in question is Mark O Shea. If you do get snakes in your house on a regular basis then you can buy those snake grips at the Snake Farm in BKK.

sorry wrong

never give anti venom as each snake as its own type even in hospital they tend to give supportive treatment first (iv, oxygen, etc) because depending on time of year (for pit vipers that estivate -- sleep out the winter-- their venom is many times stronger in spring) etc...the amount of venom is diefferent and the types, and improper i.d. of snake  can kill a person... we had a one year old bitten this year, his mother is a nurse and she gave him mouth to mouth , he had stopped breathing,  and we called ahead to the hospital with the snake i.d. ed by me (i'm the animal person ) the baby still has deep muscle damage to leg but was saved by his quick witted mother

this was in april and our local snake population was just waking up and their eggs were hatching  we had snakes every where and it was really a nightmare even for zoo people like me..so we let the cats and weasels do their job ...

the best is just to get to hospital fast with good decscription of snake not waste time killing it even --

a good long handled hoe is a good weapon but unlike pit vipers which are usually slow , other types can be very fast... i am not a  'a good snake is a dead snake' type person, although my thai worker disagrees.with me so have had many an agressive but (semi poisonous) fairly harmless coin backed racer (translated from the hebrew) show up dead in my office as a trophy . 

foxes are vulpes and their medical treatments and behavior are similar to cats;

wolf, Family: Canidae Genus: Canis Species: Canis lupus

fox: Family: Canidae  Genus: Vulpes Species: Vulpes vulpes

dog:Family: Canidae Genus: Canis Species: Canis lupus Subspecies: Canis lupus familiaris

good site for budding zoologists: http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site...nts/information

anyway:  seems to me that tropical snakes are faster than our night hunting desert vipers..... and nastier.....

is there a market for eating them??  my worker didnt want the ones he killed as they were 'too small' (not as thick as his arm, so not worth the bother)

Bina,

As profart pointed out,Mark O Shea an English herpetologist was in Sri lanka catching Russells vipers to extract venom. These vipers were anything but slow. Normally the Doctors were giving Indian russells viper anti-venom to bitten people.They needed the real McCoy, as the Indian one did not work on all people.

Makes you think about the Russells Viper in Thailand??

O'shea said that the Russells was perhaps the most or at least number two most dangerous snake in the world.

To see just how aggressive this snake was and to see the extra care that O'shea was taking was a little scary.

I for one would be standing defiantly and with no fear on a very tall object asking it to leave quietly in the best Queens English, if I see one again. :o