Thaksin Reportedly Sought Royal Pardon

george

There was an article in he China Daily yesterday, quoting Mr Thaksin as saying that he was short of money and had barely enough to keep is current life style going. He was apparently in Dubai at the time of the interview.

It brought a tear to my eye.

Cheers, Rick.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thaksin already denied that he has asked for a Royal Pardon, so Suthep could stop looking where the three letters are. It would of course be a good thing for the country when they found common ground. After all Thaksin has done more good than bad for the country and bigger criminals were able to keep their money ask senator Choonhavan how Chatchai came away with it. In the case of Thaksin all comes down on good old jealousy. He has money and I do not have money. They love him and they do not love me, that hurts in certain circles.

After all Thaksin has done more good than bad for the country

Matter of opinion.

bigger criminals were able to keep their money

There are bigger criminals? The scale of corruption under Thaksin was unprecidented.

Besides which, citing previous injusticies as a reason for allowing another makes no sense - unless justice means nothing to you.

Matter of opinion.

There are bigger criminals? The scale of corruption under Thaksin was unprecidented.

Besides which, citing previous injusticies as a reason for allowing another makes no sense - unless justice means nothing to you.

Unprecedented. Now that is definitely a matter of opinion. The only reason it appears unprecedented is the fact that a lot of it came to light. I don't doubt that he feathered his bed, but so have many others during their time in office with many more to come.

Matter of opinion.

Unprecedented. Now that is definitely a matter of opinion. The only reason it appears unprecedented is the fact that a lot of it came to light. I don't doubt that he feathered his bed, but so have many others during their time in office with many more to come.

And that's reason not to prosecute him? What a great foundation to base a legal system on. Let's see, Jack the Ripper never got caught, therefore anyone murdering prostitutes in London can get away free? If the start is made now, then perhaps the many more to come will have second thoughts, or will face justice once caught.

Thaksin already denied that he has asked for a Royal Pardon, so Suthep could stop looking where the three letters are. It would of course be a good thing for the country when they found common ground. After all Thaksin has done more good than bad for the country and bigger criminals were able to keep their money ask senator Choonhavan how Chatchai came away with it. In the case of Thaksin all comes down on good old jealousy. He has money and I do not have money. They love him and they do not love me, that hurts in certain circles.

Murdering 3000 people is usually enough to get lifetime in jail....

And that's reason not to prosecute him? What a great foundation to base a legal system on. Let's see, Jack the Ripper never got caught, therefore anyone murdering prostitutes in London can get away free? If the start is made now, then perhaps the many more to come will have second thoughts, or will face justice once caught.

This is the sad mentality of Thaksin followers. Unable to defend their man from crimes that virtually no one (save for perhaps the man himself) denies he commited, they quickly turn the conversation to others who have allegedly done as bad or worse and use these examples as a reason why Thaksin should get off. It's pathetic.

Don't fight for one man to evade justice because others have. Fight for them all to be held accountable. I do.

This is the sad mentality of Thaksin followers. Unable to defend their man from crimes that virtually no one (save for perhaps the man himself) denies he commited, they quickly turn the conversation to others who have allegedly done as bad or worse and use these examples as a reason why Thaksin should get off. It's pathetic.

Don't fight for one man to evade justice because others have. Fight for them all to be held accountable. I do.

Good post; until Thaksin and all the thugs in the PAD like Sondhi and Chamlong are locked up, Thailand will not be at peace. Abhisit must fight for them all to be held accountable.

After serving his time he could go before the Thai people and ask forgiveness for his sins and it will be given.

Which sin?

His wife bought a land. No fault. No corruption. The land is still hers. He signed ok for her to buy as per the law. Another law says he must go to jail for doing that.

:o

Using laws this way will bring Thailand to the top of funniest list.

Ignoring the laws like that would bring it to the top of the international pariah list.

He broke the law, she didn't.

How did he break the "law"? Because he was her husband?

You must ask "which law". Laws made after a coup?

Are there laws for those who protested at airports that people had to close down airports?

The title of this topic would benefit from a redraft.

ps Why doesn't Abhisit close down Patpong, NEP and Cowboy? - It could be done with five rolls of barbed wire. That would be a huge symbol of modernisation if he were to give the sign that Thailand is no longer willing to see the daughters of Isaan peddled in this fashion. I realize 'policemen get $ from them' but so what? He is bigger than they.

Good post; until Thaksin and all the thugs in the PAD like Sondhi and Chamlong are locked up, Thailand will not be at peace. Abhisit must fight for them all to be held accountable.

I think you won't find many wrong doings from Sondhi and Chamlong.....At least not enough for putting them into jail.

For those who have been found guilty by the courts it is appropriate for the Prime Minister to fight for those individuals to face justice. For those not convicted, it's no business of the Prime Minister and he should in no way be involved in deciding who needs to be "locked up" (same goes for you Jumnien!). The Prime Minister must simply fight for the judiciary to be allowed to get on with doing their job without interference and in accordance with Thai laws.

For those who have been found guilty by the courts it is appropriate for the Prime Minister to fight for those individuals to face justice. For those not convicted, it's no business of the Prime Minister and he should in no way be involved in deciding who needs to be "locked up" (same goes for you Jumnien!). The Prime Minister must simply fight for the judiciary to be allowed to get on with doing their job without interference and in accordance with Thai laws.

We seem to agree in principle, it is your infatuation with Abhisit and his patrons that I do not share.

Is it worth fighting for? If the coup-makers apologize and humbly go before the Thai people and ask forgiveness, it will be given.

If I had a vote, I would say hang him high

I have to agree, if there was no taksinthere wouldnt be any major political problem in Thailand, there would be no red Taksin supporters, and there would be no yellow taksin haters trying to bring every PPP [people power party] prime minister down from power, accusing them of following taksins orders.

I think you won't find many wrong doings from Sondhi and Chamlong.....At least not enough for putting them into jail.

I hope theres enough evidence to lock them up, i dont want another PAD vs nor por chor [red shirts] fight in thailand, it had such a bad impact on the economy, and i dont beleive the economy has recovered from that airport terrorist take over. If something like that happens again now, i dont think thailand's economy can withstand both the global economic crisis and a mob.

There are bigger criminals? The scale of corruption under Thaksin was unprecedented.

Besides which, citing previous injustices as a reason for allowing another makes no sense - unless justice means nothing to you.

Seems like we've been down this same road before... when the question,"Was Thaksin More Corrupt Than Previous Governments?" was asked 2 Christmases ago... but the answer is still the same...

Thailand’s Auditor-General Khunying Jaruwan stated that corruption of every sort exists at unprecedented levels under the present administration.

- The Nation / Nov 14, 2004

(said whilst Thaksin was the "present administration" and before he really took it up several notches to even higher "unprecedented" levels).

I hope theres enough evidence to lock them up, i dont want another PAD vs nor por chor [red shirts] fight in thailand, it had such a bad impact on the economy, and i dont beleive the economy has recovered from that airport terrorist take over. If something like that happens again now, i dont think thailand's economy can withstand both the global economic crisis and a mob.

The bad impact on the economic is almost nothing in compare to the huge corruption. But if a government need to hide in Chiang Mai or somewhere in the south, basically unable to do anything. That would hurt in such difficult times.

And to recall the Airport stopped on itself for security reasons. PAD did not force them. (At least official)

^Its important to note that nobody in PAD said the '<deleted>' word whilst holding their rally at the airport.

If they'd said '<deleted> this' and '<deleted> that' ...they would not have been allowed to form a Government, they would have faced 2 years in the clink.

We seem to agree in principle, it is your infatuation with Abhisit and his patrons that I do not share.

Please share what there was in my comment above that led you to believe i am infatuated with anyone? I simply stated the remit of the Prime Minister in terms of his duties and responsibilities.

You seem to feel that the Prime Minister is within his rights to personally make judgements on who is guilty and on who needs to be locked up (a standpoint funnily enough your friend Mr Thaksin seemed to agree with you on, judging by his time in office).

And to recall the Airport stopped on itself for security reasons. PAD did not force them. (At least official)

:D

It's truly wonderful to see some people still trying to get this dodo to fly.......... :o

It is the official version....PAD had a rally OUTSIDE the airport and the airport chief (who is close to Thaksin) decided to halt airport operations due to security concerns.

Later the PAD went inside the Airport because of security concerns (for themself).

I know that it is bizarre, but it seems the airport-chief signed that and as the courts in Thailand usually follows the laws to the word (while in other countries the can follow the intention of the law) they might come away with some charges for wrong parking.

Another bizarre detail is that when the PAD arrived they got official permission to use some special secure VIP parking places. A PAD friendly airport staff gave the permission.

I of course know that the real world looked different, but that is what the documents say. At many damaged things it will be "unknown people" and the leaders are not responsible. At the speed of the Thai courts there won't be nothing before 5-10 years.

before you are bashing me: This is just my bet on how it will be at court in 5-10 years if ever.

Thaksin gives Chalerm the nod

Thaksin's sister Yingluck Shinawatra has got his blessing to become the party's secretary-general, according to the sources.

Thaksin wanted his sister to be secretary-general since she was to all intents and purposes his representative, according to the sources.

1284392.jpg

Thaksin sister and perspective Puea Thai Party Secretary-General Yingluck is the former President and Chairwoman of the Board of Directors of SC Asset.

More arrest warrants sought for Thaksin, wife

- MCOT / 2007-08-16

BANGKOK – Thai authorities are expected to obtain additional arrest warrants for deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife, Pojaman, shortly on charges of concealing their stock portions of SC Asset Corp, said Department of Special Investigation chief Sunai Manomai-udom.

Three other defendants, namely Yingluck Shinawatra, Busaba Damapong and Pensome Damapong, are also obliged to hear formal charges over the SC Asset scandal on Friday. Arrest warrants will likely be issued should those persons, who are closely connected with the deposed prime minister and his spouse, fail to show up as well, he said.

The DSI chief had said earlier that Thaksin, while serving in the Cabinet of an earlier government, and his wife, had secretly owned stocks through nominee companies in SC Asset, a real estate company operated by the Shinawatra family.

The couple allegedly violated regulations requiring them to disclose corporate information to the Stock Exchange of Thailand. Thaksin was also charged with holding shares in publicly listed companies despite a prohibition against serving Cabinet members to do so.

Thaksin urges supporters to vote for Puea Thai in phone-ins

Thaksin Shinawatra made two phone-in addresses to supporters in Mukdahan and Ayutthaya yesterday, urging them to support his attempt to return to "serve the Thai people again" and vote for his ally the Puea Thai Party.

Thaksin, now in self-imposed exile abroad, started his 10-minute talk by greeting supporters in Mukdahan, who had not expected the call, with his customary words: "I miss Thailand very much."

Some clapped their hands while others wept as his voice was heard.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/1337...ai-in-phone-ins

Thaksin gives Chalerm the nod

By The Nation on Sunday Published on March 15, 2009

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has given Chalerm Yoobamrung the nod to become the new Pheu Thai Party leader, sources said yesterday.

Thaksin's sister Yingluck Shinawatra has got his blessing to become the party's secretary-general, according to the sources.

Yongyuth Wichaidit, who is not an MP, is currently the party leader and Suni Luangwichit the secretary-general. Both have been criticised for being "unable" to take the party in the direction that its supremo expected. Thaksin is pushing to replace them with Chalerm and Yingluck, the party sources said.

The Constitution stipulates that the opposition leader must be an MP from a political party that has none of its members in the working Cabinet. Veteran politician Chalerm is expected to be appointed opposition leader after he becomes Pheu Thai leader.

Thaksin wanted his sister to be secretary-general since she was to all intents and purposes his representative, according to the sources.

Pheu Thai MP for Nakhon Phanom Paijit Sriworakan said yesterday that the party would meet on March 24 to select a new leader, who was expected to be appointed opposition leader before the censure debate on March 26.

Party MP for Loei Preecha Rengsomboonsuk said Pheu Thai would elect a new executive board to replace the one that was elected on December 7.

A good move seeing as how all the others he nominated failed miserebly, at least it's one way to get rid of Chalerm once and for all - seems that a nod from Toxin is the "kiss of death".

Thaksin, now in self-imposed exile abroad, started his 10-minute talk by greeting supporters in Mukdahan, who had not expected the call, with his customary words: "I miss Thailand very much."

Some clapped their hands while others wept as his voice was heard.

These people obviously don't read Thaivisa.

It has been declared long time ago, and now it's a prevailing opiion in London as well, that red shirt movement is way past Thaksin and is fighting for genuine democracy.

I'm going to sound politically incorrect and I'm ready to endure the full rath of out resident reds, but it appears that rank and file of red shirt movement are buffaloes who don't even listen to Thaivisa gurus, and to that beacon of light who fled to London to fight for them from safety.

Rank and file reds have been designated as fighters for genuine democracy, not mourning Thaksin fans. What's so difficult to understand there? Why all the tears again? Put on the happy faces, get your clappers - "clap clap de-mo-cra-cy clap clap de-mo-cra-cy". Why don't they play their assigned roles? Time for re-education in "Principles of red shrit movement" camps?

SJ, was that not the same Auditor-General, whom Thaksin/TRT allegedly had locked-out from her own office for a couple of years while they tried to replace her, because she was too successful at finding corruption and inconvenient situations to investigate ?

But I thought Thaksin was now a fighter for justice, perhaps he has changed his viewpoint, since then ? :D

Blessed are they who eventually see the light ! There is a special place reserved for them, in heaven or Nicaragua, I'm told.:o

:D

It's truly wonderful to see some people still trying to get this dodo to fly.......... :o

It is the official version....PAD had a rally OUTSIDE the airport and the airport chief (who is close to Thaksin) decided to halt airport operations due to security concerns.

Later the PAD went inside the Airport because of security concerns (for themself).

I know that it is bizarre, but it seems the airport-chief signed that and as the courts in Thailand usually follows the laws to the word (while in other countries the can follow the intention of the law) they might come away with some charges for wrong parking.

Another bizarre detail is that when the PAD arrived they got official permission to use some special secure VIP parking places. A PAD friendly airport staff gave the permission.

I of course know that the real world looked different, but that is what the documents say. At many damaged things it will be "unknown people" and the leaders are not responsible. At the speed of the Thai courts there won't be nothing before 5-10 years.

before you are bashing me: This is just my bet on how it will be at court in 5-10 years if ever.

Good post, H90! The PAD scum have truly dominated the government and the courts and no substantial prosecutions will take place. The Honorary General Abhisit will prevail!

Seems like we've been down this same road before... when the question,"Was Thaksin More Corrupt Than Previous Governments?" was asked 2 Christmases ago... but the answer is still the same...
Thailand’s Auditor-General Khunying Jaruwan stated that corruption of every sort exists at unprecedented levels under the present administration.

- The Nation / Nov 14, 2004

(said whilst Thaksin was the "present administration" and before he really took it up several notches to even higher "unprecedented" levels).

SJ, was that not the same Auditor-General, whom Thaksin/TRT allegedly had locked-out from her own office for a couple of years while they tried to replace her, because she was too successful at finding corruption and inconvenient situations to investigate ?

One and the same.... he didn't like an Auditor-General that actually did audits.

But I thought Thaksin was now a fighter for justice, perhaps he has changed his viewpoint, since then ? :D

Blessed are they who eventually see the light ! There is a special place reserved for them, in heaven or Nicaragua, I'm told.:o

Yes the very same competent woman.

Seems any woman the can show up men in their

balleywick of graft is a target for removal or neutering.

Falling star of Thaksin fails to sparkle

A real star will try not to appear in public too much to avoid boring people. But a falling star will desperately try to do everything to place himself in the public limelight.

Take the case of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra - he tries to present himself frequently to his supporters and grabs media space to avoid being forgotten.

Since last week Thaksin has appeared and talked to Thais frequently. Basing himself in Dubai, he phoned-in to Thailand almost everyday. Some days he even phoned twice. Sometimes he beamed himself down via video link to talk to his supporters here.

It would have cost him a lot for the phone use - but that's no concern for a tycoon like him.

In his phone-ins, Thaksin repeatedly pleaded with supporters for sympathy and showed his concern for the economic problems. He created some hope for his listeners, saying he could save Thailand if Thais gave him a chance and helped him return to the country.

When Thaksin fled Thailand last August he appointed a personal spokesman to deliver his message to Thais on his behalf. But it has proved unsuccessful, so the former PM now has to play the game without help.

Having been divorced by his wife, he now has only his younger sister Yingluk left to coordinate between himself and his MPs, many of whom are reportedly ready to jump ship.

The daily phone-in from Thaksin tells something: he is now alone. He has to fight by himself. He has no one left to stand beside him. He fears losing ground as Abhisit Vejjajiva's popularity gradually increases.

After trying to teach premier Abhisit on how to tackle economic problems, Thaksin then attempted to show his seniority and superior experience to the younger premier, whom he called a "boy".

Thaksin wanted to show that he had more ability and enthusiasm in solving economic problems than Abhisit.

Thaksin even bought an advertisement in a Thai newspaper to promote his speech about the economic crisis, which took place last week at the Foreign Correspondent's Club in Hong Kong, to be re-run on the Democracy Television or D Station of his red-shirted protesters.

However, no matter how hard he tries, apparently, it is not working; people have lost faith and confidence in the former premier as proved by a recent Abac poll. Almost half the respondents did not believe that if Thaksin returned to power as prime minister, the country's economy would improve, while 40 per cent still believed in him.

For Thaksin supporters, his appearance and his speeches may build some hope, but for anti-Thaksin people - they could listen to his pleas without feeling any guilt whatsoever.

- The Nation / 2009-03-17