Do You Still Own A Film Camera?

Film camera's  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Still shoot MF a great deal - 50/50 with with digital stuff.

Never use, and can't see the advantage, of 35mm film however.

Was nice in it's day though - I love the depth and feel of film.

Leica SL2 - 50mm Summicron - Velvia 50ASA - flatbed scan

Went to a reenactment/living history event about the War For Southern Independence yesterday. I used two Chinon CP5s for prints, an Argus (Loreo) for stereo images, and a Zenit Horizon 202 for some 'battlefield' panoramics. I also shoot a Kodak stereo, a ViewMaster, some Argus C3s, and various wood field cameras. I would use my 4 lens linticular cameras if I could find a reliable place to get prints. Working on building some daguerrian & wet plate cameras and a field camera to shoot 14"x 25" negs. For the grandchildren I will eventually get a Pentax digital when they start coming out onto the secondary market. (All my good glass is PK mount & I like them!!) There is a Thai couple who have a photo shop here in the Fort Worth metroplex who do all my colour work. They include a cd along with the proof sheets. I shoot colour but print sepia & hand tint when I can find the time. My daughters tease me about being dragged kicking & screaming into the 20th century , someday......... I do enjoy photohistory.

I've still got my Olympus Om 2s and OM40 with assorted lenses, sitting in the cupboard.

Every time I walk past them, I promise myself that I will get them out and use them again, but so far, that's as far as I've got.

BTW, I don't own a DSLR. I've just lost the bug for photography.

For me there is something in the grain, colour and contrast of film that digital still lacks. There is also the excitement of taking the rolls to be developed......if you know a little about photography the results can be quite often surprisingly satisfying.

I have the Canon 400d with the 50mm lens for portraits and stuff at night like parties......I have kids so its quite easy to shoot off 50 or so pics of them in an afternoon……this can become a little expensive with film.

Perhaps it is the expense that puts off most people and also digital is instantly gratifying. However Bangkok is a great place to experiment with film as it is relatively cheap to process and scan (60baht for negative or cross processed 35mm and 100 baht for B&W or MF)

When I shoot film I’m hoping to catch more of an atmosphere or feeling......and so it then becomes more of an expressive art form rather than just snap shots of friends, family or a holiday......

.....film is not dead....

Went to a reenactment/living history event about the War For Southern Independence yesterday. I used two Chinon CP5s for prints, an Argus (Loreo) for stereo images, and a Zenit Horizon 202 for some 'battlefield' panoramics. I also shoot a Kodak stereo, a ViewMaster, some Argus C3s, and various wood field cameras. I would use my 4 lens linticular cameras if I could find a reliable place to get prints. Working on building some daguerrian & wet plate cameras and a field camera to shoot 14"x 25" negs. For the grandchildren I will eventually get a Pentax digital when they start coming out onto the secondary market. (All my good glass is PK mount & I like them!!) There is a Thai couple who have a photo shop here in the Fort Worth metroplex who do all my colour work. They include a cd along with the proof sheets. I shoot colour but print sepia & hand tint when I can find the time. My daughters tease me about being dragged kicking & screaming into the 20th century , someday......... I do enjoy photohistory.

Interesting!

Hmm.. Do you have a website?

Maybe not? Wrong century... :D

I know nothing about what said but it sounds very interesting so that why I would like to read more about these cameras and see photo´s of them etc

:o:D:D

Edited by svenivan

• 3 weeks later...

Just a few months ago I gave my daughter my old minolta with lenses and a Bronica MF with two lenses. The bronica was purchased in Hong Kong in 1968. My daughter has gotten very interested in photography and will put them to good use. I still have my 1968 NIKONOS and will be using that when I kayak or relax on the beach.

Some time around 1971 I was leavening Ayutthaya I left my Nikonos on top of my VW and didn't notice it until at 50 mph when I heard this clang and in the rear view mirror saw the camera bouncing down the road and finally jumped into the rice patty. A truck driver behind up saw what happened, picked up the camera and took it into the truck cab. When we got to him he claimed he saw nothing and had no camera. We explained that the camera was probably completely smashed, the insides were full of water and useless to him. We were interested in the film and offered 200 baht reward for finding the camera. He then remembered where it was and accepted the reward. The early Nikons are almost indestructible and we got back our slightly scratched but working underwater camera.

The combination shutter and film advance sometimes sticks - perhaps I should have it repaired in another 40 years or so. It still takes great pictures, doesn't mind being buried in the sand and loves to wallow in the water on the floor of my kayak.

Interesting appraisal/comparison here for us film users

- http://jbcrane.zenfolio.com/p572167072

its true the cost of professional medium format digital equipment is out of this planet, by the time you ad on the cost of computer equipment to deal with the software you have to become a merchant banker first.......

i saw on BBC Tv a few days ago an interview with a famous french vogue photographer who to my suprise is still using film and polaroids. I stiil have a swc hasselblad that i am loathed to part with. But for most pics a 10 meg 35 mm with a schnieder lens and a good simple software programme like i photo that will do just fine and on 'save the planet' terms no one can justify using film

Interesting appraisal/comparison here for us film users

- http://jbcrane.zenfolio.com/p572167072

its true the cost of professional medium format digital equipment is out of this planet, by the time you ad on the cost of computer equipment to deal with the software you have to become a merchant banker first.......

i saw on BBC Tv a few days ago an interview with a famous french vogue photographer who to my suprise is still using film and polaroids. I stiil have a swc hasselblad that i am loathed to part with. But for most pics a 10 meg 35 mm with a schnieder lens and a good simple software programme like i photo that will do just fine and on 'save the planet' terms no one can justify using film

The biggest problem with MFD is that the "nearly affordable" backs i.e. sub $4,000, are a 1.6 crop and are nigh on useless to a wide angle user. I was recently offered a 16 megapixel Imacon Ixpress in mint condition for the same price as a new 5D MKII. I was tempted until I realised the crop factor, and further deterred when I also discovered the fungus problem that our humidity causes to these sensors. $300 a pop for a sensor clean buys an awful lot of film!

Whether it's ECO friendly or otherwise, MF film is definitely alive and evidenced by Kodak recently releasing numerous new variants of Ektar.

I have an Olympus OM10 back in the UK, that I regret not bringing with me but I've been experimenting with Lomo cameras, mainly the Holga Medium Format Pinhole Camera, which is hit and miss but can be a lot of fun, It doesn't get more than lo tech than that camera, it's literally a plastic box with a shutter and a winder.

I still have an old Canon EOS 500 35mm film camera bought in the late 1990s. Nowadays, as far as I'm aware, the only thing salvageable from it is the lens which can be used on modern day digital Canon EOS cameras.

I still have an Olympus OM10. Lost my first one in a canoe accident. Replaced up (twice) when Olympus went through all those problems and eventually got out of Olympus totally. Years later, found a second hand OM10 in the UK and bought it for the memory. I don't use it. I now use a Canon Kiss.

I still have an Olympus OM10. Lost my first one in a canoe accident. Replaced up (twice) when Olympus went through all those problems and eventually got out of Olympus totally. Years later, found a second hand OM10 in the UK and bought it for the memory. I don't use it. I now use a Canon Kiss.

Haven't used a film camera since 1999.

Apart from the throwaway ones you get for a few quid...Great when you're out on the beer :o

RAZZ