June 17, 20242 yr My old passport is already full, so I applied for a new one at my embassy, and it's now ready for pickup. Obviously, the embassy will somehow invalidate the old passport by cutting or marking it, except for the pages with my existing long-term visas, (like the 10-year American visa). However, I have a question about leaving Thailand. Currently, I'm on a 30-day extension of the initial 30-day exemption stamp, which technically isn't even a visa but rather a "permission to stay" under Thai law, if I'm not mistaken. What should I do in this case? I plan to do a "visa run" next month, traveling to another country for a few days and then returning. But before that, should I transfer those stamps somehow? Or should I just present the old passport with the page containing my current stamp (assuming it's not destroyed) and return using the new passport?
June 17, 20242 yr Take it to the IO along with the old pp and any paperwork from your consultant and they’ll transfer the stamps onto the new pp. You’ll need to get it transferred before you can exit the country. Edited June 17, 20242 yr by novacova
June 17, 20242 yr Popular Post OP, just exit Thailand with both passports. The current permission of stay is still valid. You planning to exit Thailand via air or land border.
June 17, 20242 yr As @DrJack54 said, just go with both passports. When I did this at Suvarnabhumi a few years ago, I was taken away from the immigration counter and taken to a little room where the officers did a bit of admin, so factor in a little additional time for that especially if you're the type of person who usually cuts things fine time wise.
June 17, 20242 yr Popular Post Just take BOTH passports with you when you exit the country. There is no need to transfer stamps when you're here on 30 day visa exempt or the 30 day extension from it. Just use both to exit the country They'll stamp you out on the new one and make a note that your entry/extension is in the old one No need to go to immigrations before you leave
June 18, 20242 yr they will transfer nothing with a visa exempt entry or even tourist visa Take both passports an show them < You will be stamped out on new one, turn around and enter on new one
June 18, 20242 yr I had to have the immigration office transfer everything to my new passport, non o extension and reentry. Lost one way back when and same same but with exempt
June 18, 20242 yr On 6/17/2024 at 11:38 AM, grav said: My old passport is already full, so I applied for a new one at my embassy, and it's now ready for pickup. Obviously, the embassy will somehow invalidate the old passport by cutting or marking it, except for the pages with my existing long-term visas, (like the 10-year American visa). However, I have a question about leaving Thailand. Currently, I'm on a 30-day extension of the initial 30-day exemption stamp, which technically isn't even a visa but rather a "permission to stay" under Thai law, if I'm not mistaken. What should I do in this case? I plan to do a "visa run" next month, traveling to another country for a few days and then returning. But before that, should I transfer those stamps somehow? Or should I just present the old passport with the page containing my current stamp (assuming it's not destroyed) and return using the new passport? Just show both passports when leaving; valid "visas" are still valid in a cancelled passport.
May 19, 20251 yr Hi. I travel the world with my two citizenships/passports. I plan to renew my expiring US passport this summer when I am in Thailand. Would it be wise to enter and exit Thailand with the other passport? Or am I missing something (e.g. issue place Bangkok with no evidence of Thai boarder crossing, etc)?
May 19, 20251 yr When you exit, Thai immigration needs to determine what type of vise you entered on, and when you entered (e.g. to figure out if you overstayed). I believe for that reason alone you must exit on the same passport that you used to enter.
May 19, 20251 yr 11 hours ago, Alex_Ander said: Hi. I travel the world with my two citizenships/passports. I plan to renew my expiring US passport this summer when I am in Thailand. Would it be wise to enter and exit Thailand with the other passport? Or am I missing something (e.g. issue place Bangkok with no evidence of Thai boarder crossing, etc)? If you enter on the US passport you will have to leave on it, presenting both on departure. It will cause a very small delay whilst they make some remarks in the new passport. Enter on the other passport and leave on it will be no issues. You didn't mention anything about visas? If you enter on a visa you of course will have to leave on the same passport.
Create an account or sign in to comment