Zen In Thailand?

Shido

I'm a Zen practitioner of many years, and I'm wondering if there are any Zen teachers and/or sanghas in Thailand these days?

Thanks.

Shido

:D I'm not sure about Zen practice in Thailand...it's possible but I just don't know.

However, you will find an active Zen discussion on

www.e-sangha.com

which is a forum dedicated to Buddhist discussion. One of their subforums includes Zen in Japanese, Chinese, and Korean varients. You will need to register (it's free) to get on the forum. Pick a user name for yourself, read the rules of conduct (no name calling, be courteous even if you disagree with a poster, certain banned topics (too many arguements started by some discussions),etc.), and log on to post. Might be a few Zen practitioners in Thailand on the forum that can give you info of where to go and what's available. Anyhow, it's worth a look, and you will find a lot of opinions on Zen and Zen practice.

A lot of Zazen.

:o

P.S. Watch out for those red-bearded Persians.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Say ff978472, I had a look at the web site, but it's all in Thai, and the links only lead to photos. Also, I did a quick Google search of the wat and the teacher and didn't come up with anything.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Shido

I'm a Zen practitioner of many years, and I'm wondering if there are any Zen teachers and/or sanghas in Thailand these days?

Thanks.

Shido

Try Wat Rom Bodhi Dharma: http://www.rombodhidharma.com

Luang por Bho Sri Suriya teaches dharma with sudden enlightment concept based on Sutra of Wei Lang.

Hope it's what you are looking for.

Intriguing monastery and teacher. Do you have any personal experience there?

Hi there shido..

I was in the same boat as you. Prior to going to Thailand, my exposure to buddhism was of the zen sect, specifically Thich Nahn Han (not sure how to spell it). I found a link www.thaiplumvillage.com that is the thai offshoot of thich nahn han's plum village. Unfortunately the site is in Thai, but you can email them to ask about retreat information. Here is some info they sent to me in December:

We will have retreat in April 11-15 2009. There will be Thai - English program. Now we are preparing about the schedule and the place. The program will press in the end of January or early February on the website (in Thai and English version). Please check the site again on that time. Breath and smeil Tee+

หมู่บ้านพลัมประเทศไทย

ติดตาม ข่าวสาร ทาง www.THAIPLUMVILLAGE.ORG

ติดต่อ สอบถาม ทาง 085-318-2939 และ 086-688-4984

You may also wish to try vipassana meditation, which I did last year twice and highly recommend. The technique is different, in that you focus on feeling sensations, but I felt very strong sense of calm during the retreat and after too. I actually prefer this over what I learnt from zen.

Anyhow, good luck on your search!!

I teach Zen philosophy and Zen psychology at a local university in English, you are welcome to sit in my classes, we also have an Aikido class taught by a master from Japan on campus which is free. PM me for details if you are interested.

Say ff978472, I had a look at the web site, but it's all in Thai, and the links only lead to photos. Also, I did a quick Google search of the wat and the teacher and didn't come up with anything.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Shido

I am not sure what you are looking for, history of the wat/Luang por Bho Sri Suriya or his teaching.

If you want to know the history or other information, I have no information also :-)

But if you want to hear his teaching, you may try to listen online from:

http://www.rombodhidharma.com/Pg-04-Dharma.htm

Unfortunately, all teaching is in Thai.

• 1 month later...
I teach Zen philosophy and Zen psychology at a local university in English, you are welcome to sit in my classes, we also have an Aikido class taught by a master from Japan on campus which is free. PM me for details if you are interested.

I would love to visit your classes, unfortunately I'm living in Pattaya :)

You mentioned that you have Japanese Aikido master teaching Aikido there. Is it T. Hattori ???

Thanks.

Shido

:D I'm not sure about Zen practice in Thailand...it's possible but I just don't know.

However, you will find an active Zen discussion on

www.e-sangha.com

which is a forum dedicated to Buddhist discussion. One of their subforums includes Zen in Japanese, Chinese, and Korean varients. You will need to register (it's free) to get on the forum. Pick a user name for yourself, read the rules of conduct (no name calling, be courteous even if you disagree with a poster, certain banned topics (too many arguements started by some discussions),etc.), and log on to post. Might be a few Zen practitioners in Thailand on the forum that can give you info of where to go and what's available. Anyhow, it's worth a look, and you will find a lot of opinions on Zen and Zen practice.

A lot of Zazen.

:)

P.S. Watch out for those red-bearded Persians.

I've got to check this out for the Zen flaming and arguments. Too ripe for satire :D