Relocating To Bangkok - What Do You Think Of On Nut For Expat Residence?

didinoel

Hello again. I'm posting new post here.

I will be relocating to Bangkok end of this month and am currently looking for apartments/condo.

I know that the usual places for expat would be in CBD and I do prefer to live somewhere there.

However found a place that I particularly fond of in On Nut - I have been on BTS but never got to On Nut so can someone advise me what is that place like? Are there many restaurants, malls? Is it expat comfortable? I like the "modernisation" around Siam, Chidlom, Phloenchit, Asoke (have not been past Asoke unfortunately) so would I like On Nut?

Greatly appreciate your assistance here.

I will be relocating to Bangkok end of this month and am currently looking for apartments/condo.

I know that the usual places for expat would be in CBD and I do prefer to live somewhere there.

However found a place that I particularly fond of in On Nut - I have been on BTS but never got to On Nut so can someone advise me what is that place like? Are there many restaurants, malls? Is it expat comfortable? I like the "modernisation" around Siam, Chidlom, Phloenchit, Asoke (have not been past Asoke unfortunately) so would I like On Nut?

On Nut is OK. There are Lotus/Tesco (right on the skytrain station) and Carefour (across the road + 10 mins walk). It's on BTS, if I had to live in the city I would consider it before other places.

What did you find? If you see something on the Internet they won't tell you the drawbacks.

On Nut is OK. There are Lotus/Tesco (right on the skytrain station) and Carefour (across the road + 10 mins walk). It's on BTS, if I had to live in the city I would consider it before other places.

What did you find? If you see something on the Internet they won't tell you the drawbacks.

Really depends how far down you are as the traffic in the mornings can be tough. Lived there years ago and didn't mind it at all. Close enough to Carrefour or Lotus and not that bad to get to Seacon Square.

think_too_mut & bkkjames : I was actually looking at The Muse on Sukhumvit 64/2. The owner said that the BTS is 20 mins walking distance so for that, I am actually quite worried. My husband would need to commute everyday to Asoke on the BTS so its important to have the BTS nearby.

Are both of you familiar with The Muse? I cant gauge how far is 20 mins walking distance :o The only place I am familiar with distance in Bkk is from Platinum Mall up to Four Seasons in Rajdamri Road - based on this, would you say the distance is the same or do I have to walk from Platinum to Four Seasons and back to Platinum to be equivalent to The Muse to On Nut BTS?

Safety ok? What is the area like? Modern? Big pathway?

I have lived in On-Nut for a few years, I like it. there are plenty of malls around, some great restaurants if you look for them. traffic can get get bad most mornings but it does clear quickly. your husband can take a motorsy taxi to the BTS, it is a straight run. and depending on the time of day and which day, you can be in silom central BKK between 15 minutes and 50 minutes, thats if you take the motorway. once you live there for a while you will get to know the short cuts. it is a safe area to live, I have not heard or seen of anything bad happening, it probably does but I have never heard of it.

I lived in On-nut 6 years ago for a year and have been there now for nearly 3 years, on soi 101/1.

I hope that helps! :o

think_too_mut & bkkjames : I was actually looking at The Muse on Sukhumvit 64/2. The owner said that the BTS is 20 mins walking distance so for that, I am actually quite worried. My husband would need to commute everyday to Asoke on the BTS so its important to have the BTS nearby.

It's a long distance. Imagine downpours or relentless heat. Your husband may be turne into a wad of sweat.

Only 3 months a year you get neither but still, 20 mins (plus add some extra that the owner is not mentioning) is too far.

Are both of you familiar with The Muse? I cant gauge how far is 20 mins walking distance :o The only place I am familiar with distance in Bkk is from Platinum Mall up to Four Seasons in Rajdamri Road - based on this, would you say the distance is the same or do I have to walk from Platinum to Four Seasons and back to Platinum to be equivalent to The Muse to On Nut BTS?

Safety ok? What is the area like? Modern? Big pathway?

Safety is Ok. Pathways are yuck as anywhere in BKK. The 20 mins walk means a mile.

That place "Muse" is a holiday short term rental, you would not want to live there.

If you tell us what your budget is and for how long you are going to stay, we (board members) may be able to post more info. (I am not a real estate agent, I live in Tokyo).

64/2 is quite a way from the BTS. The extension opens (hopefully) June 2010, and one of the stations would be very convenient for 64/2 then. I live on 101 and commute to work Mon-Fri and it currently takes about 1 hour each way. I work near the Saladaeng station.

thanks everybody for being so helpful with the insights.

hubby too feel that 20 mins is really far to walk to the BTS on a daily basis. its just that this particular apartment is brand new and we would be the first person who will stay there so i guess that point is really pulling me towards it.

i only have a budget of THB20,000 for an apartment/condo and apparently with that budget, it doesnt get me much in CBD. my preference was actually siam, rajdamri, phloenchit, asoke, thonglor and ekkamai. but the apartments here are either too expensive for me or too old for my liking.

i am looking for an almost new apartment with modern furniture, decent kitchen for western cooking, internet ready, cable TV option and clean, modern toilet. a lot of the apartments have old wooden furniture which i dont like.

i would love to have this particular place at The Muse if its not too far away. Although now I am concern with think_too_mut's note where it is a holiday home and i wouldnt want to live there.

i am arriving on 25th march and will spend the first 2 days looking at apartment before choosing one that we like. what is the renting market in bangkok at the moment with the economic downturn and all? do we have much bargaining power?

thanks everybody for being so helpful with the insights.

i only have a budget of THB20,000 for an apartment/condo and apparently with that budget, it doesnt get me much in CBD. my preference was actually siam, rajdamri, phloenchit, asoke, thonglor and ekkamai. but the apartments here are either too expensive for me or too old for my liking.

i am looking for an almost new apartment with modern furniture, decent kitchen for western cooking, internet ready, cable TV option and clean, modern toilet. a lot of the apartments have old wooden furniture which i dont like.

i am arriving on 25th march and will spend the first 2 days looking at apartment before choosing one that we like. what is the renting market in bangkok at the moment with the economic downturn and all? do we have much bargaining power?

have you looked at the many online condo for rent websites? the photos should give you good ideas.

for 20000-25000 or so you could probably get a 1 bedroom on asoke somewhere like grand park view (easy walk to work and also is located on top of shopping mall).

Edited by namoo

phetaroi : yes, i have at a whole lot of the online agency's website ; which is why i know the budget i have is rather low for a modern condo in CBD area.

My impression is that places are cheaper (but more difficult to find) on the northern branch of the Skytrain route -- Soi Aree, Phayathai, Phayonyothin.

Try JC tower on Thonglor. It may fit your budget.

The last time I checked (early 2007) they had a 1 bedroom 60sqm place going for B20-25k.

However it is closer to Petchaburi then Sukhumvit. So hubby will have to either motosy taxi it to the BTS or get on the Klong boat (which is just outside) and get to Asoke MRT

My impression is that places are cheaper (but more difficult to find) on the northern branch of the Skytrain route -- Soi Aree, Phayathai, Phayonyothin.

For soi Ari, you do need to shop around a bit but it's a great place to live. The prices on the soi 7 side can be steep (40 to 50++ at Baan Yoswadi). There are condos above the old Villa market on soi 8 but I don't know the price. They are about 5 min walking from the BTS and close to restaurants, etc. Further into soi 7 the condos are cheap but they are of course further from the BTS. Victory Monument is another area to consider but does not have the same feel as soi Ari.

do we have much bargaining power?

Look at more expensive apartments and make them an offer. I guy I know got a 50,000 a month place, offered them 25,000...they took it.

RAZZ

Namoo : Yup, am also looking at Asoke Grand Park View :o

Phetaroi & Desi : The thing is I have never been to any of these places on the northern BTS line so its quite scary for me to consider. Being a tourist before this, the places that I've always go to when I'm in Bkk if of course Chidlom, Rajdamri, Siam and Phloenchit. When hubby got a job in Asoke, that was the first time I was on a BTS outside of these places and I found Nana soi quite scary with little cramped shops, dirty lanes. So for me to venture out to the other BTS stops, I think I would probably do that on my 2nd year there. And also to find this apartment, I only have a 1 week to find it, view it, sign contract, move in and buy household stuffs before returning to KL. Hubby will be staying on on his own for the first couple of months, which also explains why i dont have the time to really look around at other areas.

Razz : Really?? Dropped to half from the initial opening price? I actually asked earlier on how great is our bargaining power as renter in Bkk now with the economic downturn? Are owners desperate enough to rent out their units, even if its means taking a cut? Or do they have the attitude of "you want, you pay my price" kind of thing.

I only have a 1 week to find it, view it, sign contract, move in and buy household stuffs before returning to KL. Hubby will be staying on on his own for the first couple of months, which also explains why i dont have the time to really look around at other areas.

Get an estate agent... Before moving here I found the house I wanted online but it was an estate agent who drove me around looking at others. When I went to move again, I wandered around. But when I went to buy I used the same estate agent as before. Other friends looking to rent also used an estate agent. They drive you around so it's easier on you.

Get an estate agent... Before moving here I found the house I wanted online but it was an estate agent who drove me around looking at others. When I went to move again, I wandered around. But when I went to buy I used the same estate agent as before. Other friends looking to rent also used an estate agent. They drive you around so it's easier on you.

When you use one of these agents, what are the stipulations?

When you find something you like, does it go for the posted rental price, or is it negotiable?

I don't understand the question.

When you find something you like, does it go for the posted rental price, or is it negotiable?

You can negotiate. Or, you can ask the agent to negotiate for you. But remember, the agent is getting paid by the condo owner so make sure they do negotiate as far down as possible. I believe they get so many months rent from the condo for bring you in, so they might see it as more beneficial to themselves to avoid getting you a good price on rent.

The company I have a lot of respect for is Eve House. Ask to speak with Im (if she's still there).

Razz : Really?? Dropped to half from the initial opening price? I actually asked earlier on how great is our bargaining power as renter in Bkk now with the economic downturn? Are owners desperate enough to rent out their units, even if its means taking a cut? Or do they have the attitude of "you want, you pay my price" kind of thing.

This is what my mate told me. I've no reason to doubt him. He said only about 4 out of 20 odd apartments were let in the block.

There are 1000's of empty properties. Don't ask don't get :o

RAZZ

I don't understand the question.

I'm sorry. What I meant was, does the person seeking a condo rental or apartment pay a fee, are you then restricted from looking independently or switching agencies for some given time, and so forth.

The condo owners pay a fee to the estate agent bringing in the client/renter. That's why you need to make sure you get a good deal. The higher the rent, the more the estate agent gets.

Other places might do this differently, but this is how it worked for me and my friends. One of my friends used someone else and they paid more than I was told previously, for the very same condo.

The condo owners pay a fee to the estate agent bringing in the client/renter. That's why you need to make sure you get a good deal. The higher the rent, the more the estate agent gets.

It is 1 month rent that goes to the agency.

How can you get a deal on that? They (real estate agents) may drop you for a 2000B discount. Not much for 1 condo but builds up when they have hundreds.

Having an agency to make the contract prevents many problems, seen on this site.

It is 1 month rent that goes to the agency.

How can you get a deal on that? They (real estate agents) may drop you for a 2000B discount. Not much for 1 condo but builds up when they have hundreds.

Having an agency to make the contract prevents many problems, seen on this site.

The agency may negotiate in their favour. Two or ten over, it all adds up to the renter.

The agency gets one month so of course it's in their best interest to make it a good months worth...

When I asked about a condo for my friend I was quoted 35 thou. My friend showed up with an agency and they got her much more. What a bargain. Not. And that's why I say beware when using an agency.

I'm not saying to avoid using an agency, I'm saying to try and get as much of a discount as you can, get involved with the bargaining.

Note: For myself, I haven't had any problems with agencies or contracts. When I moved out of a house early (breaking the contract) I expected problems. No problem at all, the owner even transferred over the box (tv). When I left the last condo I expected them to try one on (mostly due to reading posts here at TV) and they didn't (they could have as there were discrepancies, things left up to trust from both sides). They were more than fair.

Edited by desi

Have you consider Waterford Rama 4? It's 15 mins walk to BTS Prakhanong station, one stop before the Onnut station.

1bedroom/1bathroom 45-50 sqm is rented out at Bt13,500-15,000 depending on decor while 2bedroom/1bathroom 68-73 sqm is at Bt16,000-20,000.

See this website for photos: http://www.travel-library.com/condos/asia/...ark_rama_4.html

I have just moved to my new condo in ratchadamri (behind four seasons hotel) 3 weeks ago and had been looking for 2 weeks before then, pls dont get me wrong but If you say that you have a budget of THB20,000 and you have a preference in siam, rajdamri, phloenchit, asoke, thonglor and ekkamai and also looking for an almost new apartment with modern furniture, decent kitchen for western cooking, internet ready, cable TV option and clean, modern toilet and finally close to BTS, and also you need to finalise this in couple days?? I would say you will have to give up from some of these. If you are ok with one bedroom, you still may be lucky but you still will need to go up a little and dont forget internet+cable will be extra ( approx 2000-2500 THB depending on the package you get). Good luck & I do hope you find the place will fit you

I have just moved to my new condo in ratchadamri (behind four seasons hotel) 3 weeks ago and had been looking for 2 weeks before then, pls dont get me wrong but If you say that you have a budget of THB20,000 and you have a preference in siam, rajdamri, phloenchit, asoke, thonglor and ekkamai and also looking for an almost new apartment with modern furniture, decent kitchen for western cooking, internet ready, cable TV option and clean, modern toilet and finally close to BTS, and also you need to finalise this in couple days??

I live not too far from you, on Soi Langsuan, and have been looking at other places in the area (just walking into the lobbies and asking whenever I walk by).

Actually, a place that fits what you've just described is "The Grand" just off Rajdamri. The post ads for their rentals on the first floor, and I think they're decent value (but I've only been looking at the 2BR/2BA, which go for 30K baht/month).

I have just moved to my new condo in ratchadamri (behind four seasons hotel) 3 weeks ago and had been looking for 2 weeks before then, pls dont get me wrong but If you say that you have a budget of THB20,000 and you have a preference in siam, rajdamri, phloenchit, asoke, thonglor and ekkamai and also looking for an almost new apartment with modern furniture, decent kitchen for western cooking, internet ready, cable TV option and clean, modern toilet and finally close to BTS, and also you need to finalise this in couple days??

I live not too far from you, on Soi Langsuan, and have been looking at other places in the area (just walking into the lobbies and asking whenever I walk by).

Actually, a place that fits what you've just described is "The Grand" just off Rajdamri. The post ads for their rentals on the first floor, and I think they're decent value (but I've only been looking at the 2BR/2BA, which go for 30K baht/month).

Hi ajc1970, I was referring to didinoel's description of place who started the topic, just to let you know that studios are even more than 60K thb/month in Grand..

Greatly appreciate your assistance here.

Soi 64 is a bit far to walk in the heat and rain to and from On Nut BTS. The walk will be shorter in a year or so when the BTS extension opens.

I have lived near the On Nut BTS for a total of four years and find it enjoyable. There is not much in the way of fine restaurants but the skytrain is just a few hundred meters away so thats not a problem. If you need stores other than Lotus, Carrefour and local shops then once again the skytrain will have you there in minutes. As for security I have never had any problems walking the streets to and from sky train.

You might want to look around On Nut BTS station because there are a number of new apartment/condo's that have been built in the last year and all would be within a few hundred meters of BTS. They are located on Soi 50, 52 and 79 and are all within five minute walk of BTS.

I would suggest you try and find a place within a few minutes walk of skytrain or subway because it makes life easier getting to places you like.