Pratumnak - The So Called Beverley Hills Of Pattaya

expatgaz

There is a Soi in that area also, with a huge family of Black Pigs running around and a lot of poor Thai people living in wooden shacks - drove down there by accident one day, I was quite scared as a drunken Thai man was in the road clutching a bottle of Thai whiskey, he came very close almost touched my arm as i went past on the bike.

That sounds like one of the snobbiest post I have read here.

could get a hel_l of a lot worse,was told today as i walked through the asia hotel that the owners are in talks with some foreign people regading selling out.this includes the golf course.likely to be turned into more condos etc.what worries me is the devastating effect this could have on the thai and farang bars and resterants nearby as in this so called peak period its still very quiet and many are feeling the pinch already :o

could get a hel_l of a lot worse,was told today as i walked through the asia hotel that the owners are in talks with some foreign people regading selling out.this includes the golf course.likely to be turned into more condos etc.what worries me is the devastating effect this could have on the thai and farang bars and resterants nearby as in this so called peak period its still very quiet and many are feeling the pinch already :o

The sooner they close them with their overinflated prices the better.

pattayaparent. would you care to name them as you seem to be annoyed i assume by the high cost of eating around the area i thought it would be accepted in beverley hills to pay slightly more for ones food but would still be good to know which ones to avoid.thanks

There is a Soi in that area also, with a huge family of Black Pigs running around and a lot of poor Thai people living in wooden shacks - drove down there by accident one day, I was quite scared as a drunken Thai man was in the road clutching a bottle of Thai whiskey, he came very close almost touched my arm as i went past on the bike.

That sounds like one of the snobbiest post I have read here.

Snobby or not snobby, the area is a dump with boarded up property.

About 9 years ago stayed at Baan Haad U-Thong condo (blue building) for a while, the area was deserted then and very quiet. It's a sign of the times the way things have gone downhill since, turning into a farang ghetto now. :o

Small world, I stayed there about 8/9years ago. Yep was a lot quieter then...

That area never was safe and clean IMHO. It was (at first) way out in the boonies and hence a target for burglars and never lost that caché now it's in the middle of the Pattaya-Jomtien sprawl. A few years back when I was looking for a rental, a couple of realtors touted this area as being the best location in Pattaya. When I mentioned the high incidence of housebreaking they said not true because some royalty has a holiday home in the area and if it wasn't safe, they wouldn't be there. Yeah right.

One of the Princesses (not sure which one) has a house down on the Jomtien side of the Asia Hotel. If you go down Soi 5 to the entry to teh beach, and then turn north up moo 12 (I think that's what it's called), past the faux-castle hotel, you will eventually reach a manned road block. Her house is beyond that, and yes, it's very, very secure.

It has a very, very large garden as well. Have flown over her place on numerous occasions.

pattayaparent. would you care to name them as you seem to be annoyed i assume by the high cost of eating around the area i thought it would be accepted in beverley hills to pay slightly more for ones food but would still be good to know which ones to avoid.thanks

The quality restaurants in the area OK, you'd expect a higher price for the better quality as you say, but the bars just opposite the Asia Hotel are overpriced beer bars. Better to walk 100m up the Soi and drink and eat at the Thai places.

last year one of the bars across the road from asia hotel had live music on a couple of times a week which i suppose went some way towards justifying the higher than usual prices, but all that seems to have stopped so no real reason to not drop their prices.would have thought its just economical sense to be competative,more so if the talk of the asia closing is correct.

Nearly touched your arm? Call in the cavalry! Thais regularly live in wooden houses, regularly have animals in, out and around those houses, and unfortunately (some) pass thier time getting drunk.

Any resemblance to those fat backsides sitting in the hundreds of overpriced bars around Pattaya??

Get off your high horse and travel outside Pattaya and you'll see thousands of villages just as you describe, all filled with the good, bad and ugly of Thai society. But it IS Thai.

Thats wierd, I have travelled to quite a few places in Thailand over the last 8 years and never seen large families of Black pigs running wild, especialy in the Cities.

Like you say pattaya_girl not so the cities. My reply DID say villages...

Not want realtors want you to know: Raw untreated sewage flows down the hill into ocean through broken concrete pipes. Wooded areas have goings on you do not want to know. With the never ending roberies & assaults of foreigners there is growing concern for personal safety. While condos are more secure, apartment doors get forced open or intruders enter from side balconies. This happens all over Pattaya, the difference is Pratumnak WAS once known for being a safe zone. No longer true.

Nearly touched your arm? Call in the cavalry!

A drunken Thai in Thailand? No way, I've never seen that before! Yep, call in the calvary!

Calvary ??? :o

Pattaya dangerous????????? c'mon! try visting Rio, or any other South American Resort, most American cities, and most Eurotrash resorts....they make pattaya look very very safe...unless you go looking for trouble in Patters you ain't gonna find it(I know there are exceptions)

and the guy who objected to living with pigs...hey Arnold Ziffel was one of the cutest actors ever to grace the silver screen ...count yer blessings oinkoink...

n here's da proof..if you don't believe me

http://www.tvland.com/shows/greenacres/character5.jhtml

Beloved son of Fred and Doris Ziffel, Arnold Ziffel is one pampered pig. The Ziffels let Arnold do pretty much anything he wants, and he can do some amazing things, including play the piano, drink with a straw, deliver letters from the mail box, turn the channels on the television (he loves Westerns and THE CBS EVENING NEWS with Walter Cronkite), predict weather with his curly tail, and play cricket with his own miniature cricket bat.

Like any boy, Arnold goes to school (where he plays practical jokes on the other students.) Arnold delivers newspapers, enjoys sending away for various mail-order products, and can write his name. He also speaks an impressive array of languages - English, French, a touch of Japanese, (and subtitles!)

The only person in Hooterville who can't make sense of Arnold's grunting is, of course, Oliver. While Oliver seems to truly dislike the little porker, he eventually warms up to the anthropomorphic piggy, going so far as to represent Arnold in court. While Arnold's actual age is never specified, he exists in a perpetual childhood somewhere between third grade and puberty.

Edited by jellymeister