Change Of Visa From Non-0(thai Wife) To Non-o-a (retirement)

Does anyone have any experience or expertise in changing a NON-O Visa (Married to a Thai National) to a NON-O-A (Retirement Visa) within Thailand?

I have had a NON-O Visa (Married to a Thai National) for the last 5 years, of which I have made dual trips to procure each year (1 trip to make the application...the 2nd to get the acceptance stamp)....Now that the immigration offices have changed and the distance is even further than the 175 kilometers I previously traveled (twice for each renewal anniversary date), I am pondering the option of a change to a RETIREMENT VISA as it requires only 1 short visit to the immigration office each year.

It is my understanding that the requirements (printed in Thai and English from my immigration office) state: NEEDED:

1. Application Form TM-7 with one photograph (4x6 cm)

2. Passport and a certified true copy of such.

3. Application Fee of 1900 Baht

4. Account Deposit in a Thailand Bank of not less than 800,000 Baht (for 3 months or longer)

(OR):

Income from Pension/Social Welfare or combination of not less than 65,000 Baht per Month (certified letter of income required from applicants embassy)

(OR)

A combination of Account Deposit and Pension/Social Welfare payment equal 800,000 Baht annually.

Can this change be made within Thailand as opposed to traveling back my home country?

You do not change your visa, but change your reason of stay. Yes, you can do that in Thailand in the way you describe without any problem.

Note that for the 800,000 in the bank option you will need a letter from your bank and your bankbook to show the money there for 3 months. Immigration also might want to see some transactions in your bankbook to show you have money to live on and spend it. No fixed ammount is required for that last one.

Immigration is actally more happy to do the extension request based on Retirement than on Marriage.

A friend of mine did it 14 days ago.Ready in 20 minutes.

However be aware of the financial requirements and I would not do it ,if you are borderline with the retirement financial requirements ,given the exchange rates "problems".

Edited by dutch

Sorry for sidelining the OP slightly but is it possible to change reason for extension of stay before my current extension expires, currently have 9 months left on my extension based on work? Would like to change reason for extension to Thai wife/child and just show 400k in the bank.

Sorry for sidelining the OP slightly but is it possible to change reason for extension of stay before my current extension expires, currently have 9 months left on my extension based on work? Would like to change reason for extension to Thai wife/child and just show 400k in the bank.

Generally you have to apply within the last 30 days of your current extension.

However, if you lost or quit your job that would be a different situation.

You could always exit the country and cancell your current extension. Re Enter and start all over again. But that is a bit desperate.

Just out of interest, in a few years I will be getting an extension based on retirement. As with the extension based on marriage, does the B800k have to be in an account in the applicant's name only or can it be in a joint acc? Also, can it be a time deposit/higher interest acc? I'd hope so, cos who'd put B800k in a simple current acc with zero interest?!!

Just out of interest, in a few years I will be getting an extension based on retirement. As with the extension based on marriage, does the B800k have to be in an account in the applicant's name only or can it be in a joint acc? Also, can it be a time deposit/higher interest acc? I'd hope so, cos who'd put B800k in a simple current acc with zero interest?!!

It would have to be in your Account. Not a joint.

Most Immigration offices have accepted fixed (time) deposit accounts. Having said that, at the moment a normal savings account is 0.5% and a Fixed Account is 1% for a years deposit. Hardly worth the bother.

Ours is locked away for a few years yet and is in our joint names. We're getting 5%!! So, I must wait uintil this matures and then transfer B800k of it into my own name account? I thought Immig accepted either (applicant only OR joint).

They will if you have 1.6 Million Baht. They will reason that half of the money is your Wife's.

They will not accept the kind of account you have at the moment. It has to be instantly accesible.

They will reason that half of the money is your Wife's

So, LB, you're saying that they will accept a joint a/c if

* the amount is over B1.6m

* it is accessible/used for daily living

Yet they won't accept a joint a/c for a marriage extension?!! Clowns in uniforms, that's what they are!!

Edited by jamesjdaly

You could always exit the country and cancell your current extension. Re Enter and start all over again. But that is a bit desperate.

Thank you Lite Beer. Am I right in saying then that if I surrender my WP(quit my job) then I would not need to leave the country and start all over again? If the change of reason for extension does require leaving then I wouldn't bother.

Thank you Lite Beer. Am I right in saying then that if I surrender my WP(quit my job) then I would not need to leave the country and start all over again? If the change of reason for extension does require leaving then I wouldn't bother.

If you quit your job you would have to leave on the day you quit. Or go to Immigration and apply for a 7 day extension. This gives you time to sort yourself out, leave and get another kind if Visa.

Try and stick it out if you can.

As you have a Thai Wife you also have the option of quiting your job and applying for a 60 day extension to visit your Wife. This would give you the time to have the required money in the bank for 60 days. Its all a bit drastic though.

Here is the rule.

2.24 In the case of an alien

visiting a Thai spouse or child:

Permission

will be granted for a period of not more than 60 days at a time

(1) Proof of relationship.

(2) In the case of a spouse, their marital relationship shall be de

jure (legitimate) and de facto.

Do you have to be 50 years or older to change from Non-O to O/A or is age not an issue at all?

Robert

The Non O-A Visa is for retirement, you have to be over 50, meet the financial requirements and it can only be obtained in your own country.

For a 12 month extension in Thailand for reitrement you have to be 50.

Do you have to be 50 years or older to change from Non-O to O/A or is age not an issue at all?

Robert

The Non O-A Visa is for retirement, you have to be over 50, meet the financial requirements and it can only be obtained in your own country.

That statement is a little misleading I think. I just got a Non O-A Visa is for retirement on Friday at the immigration office here in Chiang Mai, (not my own country). I'm 50+ and I got the visa based on my monthly income, (certified by a letter from the CND consulate) and I didn't have to show any bank statements with the rest of my paper work. I was in and out of there in 45 mins! :o I think it would have been shorter only for I showed up at 12:30, (mid of lunch)

Does anyone have any experience or expertise in changing a NON-O Visa (Married to a Thai National) to a NON-O-A (Retirement Visa) within Thailand?

I have had a NON-O Visa (Married to a Thai National) for the last 5 years, of which I have made dual trips to procure each year (1 trip to make the application...the 2nd to get the acceptance stamp)....Now that the immigration offices have changed and the distance is even further than the 175 kilometers I previously traveled (twice for each renewal anniversary date), I am pondering the option of a change to a RETIREMENT VISA as it requires only 1 short visit to the immigration office each year.

It is my understanding that the requirements (printed in Thai and English from my immigration office) state: NEEDED:

1. Application Form TM-7 with one photograph (4x6 cm)

2. Passport and a certified true copy of such.

3. Application Fee of 1900 Baht

4. Account Deposit in a Thailand Bank of not less than 800,000 Baht (for 3 months or longer)

(OR):

Income from Pension/Social Welfare or combination of not less than 65,000 Baht per Month (certified letter of income required from applicants embassy)

(OR)

A combination of Account Deposit and Pension/Social Welfare payment equal 800,000 Baht annually.

Can this change be made within Thailand as opposed to traveling back my home country?

A retirement visa requires that you check in with immigration and show proof of address 4 times a year. It is not a one time a year event. It is four visits to immigration

That statement is a little misleading I think. I just got a Non O-A Visa is for retirement on Friday at the immigration office here in Chiang Mai, (not my own country). I'm 50+ and I got the visa based on my monthly income, (certified by a letter from the CND consulate) and I didn't have to show any bank statements with the rest of my paper work. I was in and out of there in 45 mins! :o I think it would have been shorter only for I showed up at 12:30, (mid of lunch)

My statement is 100% correct. A Non O-A Visa can only be obtained in your own country.

What you have is a 12 Month Extension of your Temporary Permision to stay in the Kingdom based on Retirement. Not a Visa.

Joint accounts could be used for marriage extensions in the past is this no longer true? Based on the Korat office.

In the past the financial requirement was for Family Income. Since November 25th 2008 it has to be the Husbands money.

Joint account is no longer accepted.

Robert

Just a little point that would have saved me a year of running around. In Thailand you are "50" years old the day after your 49th birthday. I felt the fool when i went in to get my retirement extension after waiting until I was 50 to have them change my age from 50 to 51 so in reality you can get your stuff the day after your 49th birthday. choke dee

Just a little point that would have saved me a year of running around. In Thailand you are "50" years old the day after your 49th birthday. I felt the fool when i went in to get my retirement extension after waiting until I was 50 to have them change my age from 50 to 51 so in reality you can get your stuff the day after your 49th birthday. choke dee

I think that you will find that Immigration will not issue Retirement Extensions on that basis. This topic has come up before.

Joint accounts could be used for marriage extensions in the past is this no longer true? Based on the Korat office.

In the past the financial requirement was for Family Income. Since November 25th 2008 it has to be the Husbands money.

Joint account is no longer accepted.

I have copied a quote from a previous posting that purports to be an approved translation of the original immigration advice

2.18 In the case of a family

member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child

of his/her spouse):

Permission will be

granted for a period of

not more than 1 year at a time.

(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within a year.

In other necessary circumstances, The Immigration Commissioner or Deputy of Immigration Commissioner may approve on case to case basis.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

One trip for Type O Visa is not true. With a type O visa yearly, you must get your visa renewed. Every 90 days you must get an extension stamp. This must (now) be done at the Immigration office that your home is registered near. For example; My home registration is Hua Hin, I get my stamp from the Singkhon Immigration office. This is the office for (Changwat) Prachuap Khirikhan. Fortunately for me the location is in Hua Hin.

One trip for Type O Visa is not true. With a type O visa yearly, you must get your visa renewed. Every 90 days you must get an extension stamp. This must (now) be done at the Immigration office that your home is registered near. For example; My home registration is Hua Hin, I get my stamp from the Singkhon Immigration office. This is the office for (Changwat) Prachuap Khirikhan. Fortunately for me the location is in Hua Hin.

You seem a bit confused.

If you are talking about 12 month extensions you have to report your address to Immigration every 90 days.

If you are talking about a Multi Entry Non Imm O Visa you have to leave the country every 90 days.

As for the Immigration Office in Hua Hin , it is closing this month and you now have to go to Singkhon which I believe is a long journey from Hua Hin.

Robert

Last year I applied/received my Type O visa in the U S (L.A.Consulate) Acquired all paperwork and was approved. Three weeks ago I applied for and received my first extension in Thailand. I was required to go to my Embassy in Bangkok for a rubber stamp income verification then back to the Immigration office with photo's, House registration book and application for my my passport stamp. You must also get a 90 day stamp every 90 days. This according to new rules must be done at the Immigration office closest to your Thai home Changwat.

Excuse me, but just to clarify , surely the 90 day check-in is NOT to get an 'extension stamp' in the way you apply yearly. You've already got your yearly visa, but a requirement of having that is that you notify Immigration of where you're living every 90 days. It's a formality, more red tape really. Maybe a hassle now with the change about reporting to your Immigration Office local to your home?

I WAS staying in Phuket, but had a Nong Khai issued visa as my family home in Udon. Would that have meant I had to make a long journey every 90 days for a simple notification?

I just read that the extension of a one year retirment visa must be made "within" 30 days of expiration. I had been told that the application for extension must be made "at least 30 days prior to expiration".

Because there was no way to get back to Thailand in the 30 day or more window and they wouldn't accept the application 2.5 months early, I deceided to forgo the reentry stamp and just let the visa be voided, planning to reapply for a 90 day before returning and then convert it as I had done before.

Did I mess it up?? I will be back about 2 weeks before it was to expire but was told at immigration this last time that two weeks wasn't allowed as it was too short a time period for them.