New Linksys Router

tigerbeer

Hi everyone,

Very used to setting up routers and modem but totally confused this time round.

So i bought this router today by Linksys. MOdel WRT54GL. When I bought it, I thought it was a modem router. Cause it has an internet input at the back of the device. Doesn't seem like it. Or is it?? So have to attach my older modem to it for internet to work.

Cause the Basic setup on 192.168.x.x gives options for username and password for internet connection. Has DDNS settings, etc etc. just like a modem has. So is this just a router or can it function as a modem as well??? If its just a router, how can i use its settings for Port forwarding, DDNS, etc etc to override the settings on the actual modem?? Cause at the moment all my important settings are on the modem and this linksys router is just functioning as a wi-fi router.

Sorry for this really dumb post but just totally confused!.

post-29436-1237027724_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone,

So i bought this router today by Linksys. MOdel WRT54GL. When I bought it, I thought it was a modem router. Cause it has an internet input at the back of the device. Doesn't seem like it. Or is it?? So have to attach my older modem to it for internet to work.

Cause the Basic setup on 192.168.x.x gives options for username and password for internet connection. Has DDNS settings, etc etc. just like a modem has. So is this just a router or can it function as a modem as well??? If its just a router, how can i use its settings for Port forwarding, DDNS, etc etc to override the settings on the actual modem?? Cause at the moment all my important settings are on the modem and this linksys router is just functioning as a wi-fi router.

You're right, it has no ADSL modem features, you'll need to use a separate ADSL modem for that. The modem should be configured to "bridge" mode, and then you will be doing a PPPoE connection on the router though that. This way no port forwarding or anything else will be necessary on the modem itself, and you'll prevent creating two non-routable subnets (ie 192.168.x.x subnets)

I recommend you give Tomato firmware a shot, it works very well on that router.

Hi everyone,

You're right, it has no ADSL modem features, you'll need to use a separate ADSL modem for that. The modem should be configured to "bridge" mode, and then you will be doing a PPPoE connection on the router though that. This way no port forwarding or anything else will be necessary on the modem itself, and you'll prevent creating two non-routable subnets (ie 192.168.x.x subnets)

I recommend you give Tomato firmware a shot, it works very well on that router.

Veazer,

So on my Zyxel modem, just change the mode to bridge and then do all the settings on my Linksys Router? Is that all?

Problem is that one of my computers on the network shows Internet Gateway in the Network Connections as disabled. Enable it and it goes back to disabled on its own. Have to solve that one as well. !

hate changing routers..

you will have to run your modem in full bridge mode and connect it to the WAN of the 54GL - this is how I run my main 54GL

as said , tomato firmware is great for the 54GL - just get the latest firmware 1.23 from polarclouds site and the major tomato forum is here - http://www.linksysinfo.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=160

there are many mods and hacks you can do to your 54GL to increase its usefulness

I use the Linksys wireless router with a fixed IP address 192.168.1.10 and the enter 192.168.1.1 ( ADSL modem) as gateway in the Linksys setup. So you don't need to change settings on the ADSL modem.

the 54 GL will just become a wireless AP - plug the Zyxel to the 54GL LAN and turn off the DHCP server on the 54GL if you are running a DHCP server on the Zyxel and are using dynamic IPs.

the beauty of the 54GLs and other routers that accept aftermarket firmwares is their ability to become very powerful devices that you can then use/control your network with.

i have updated the firmware to "Tomato". will today bridge the modem and use the router's settings for everything else. thanks everyone.

but still can't figure out why that one particular computer keep's disabling "internet gateway" on its own. Nothing works on that computer. I think I remember deleting "services" such as http, https, ftp etc etc on that computer before. Maybe thats the reason why.

Internet gateway ?

do you mean default gateway when you manually setup the network adapters TCP/IP settings ?

or has this got something to do with windows internet connection sharing ?

I believe he has uPnP enabled on the router and it has added itself to the network device list. i personally feel that uPnP is a security risk and disable it. I'd rather do the port forwarding configuration myself.

Internet gateway ?

do you mean default gateway when you manually setup the network adapters TCP/IP settings ?

or has this got something to do with windows internet connection sharing ?

I believe he has uPnP enabled on the router and it has added itself to the network device list. i personally feel that uPnP is a security risk and disable it. I'd rather do the port forwarding configuration myself.

Hi everyone. Played with Tomato firmware and have to say its superb. Haven't use its advance features which you guys play with. (I am just running a normal internet network here in the office). But i have restricted access to a couple of computers from browsing certain websites, using certain chat clients such as Yahoo, MSN, Skype etc etc. One question I have is if the Access Restriction does not list a certain client/software, how do I assign one? Ie through port numbering?

The computer that did not work with internet yesterday, its settled today. Using a cheap modem as a bridge modem and every other setting is on the Linksys router. I have turned off uPnP and not really sure if that was what the problem was. But I'll leave it off anyways. I manually forward ports.

thanks all for the help. Very happy with the router.

TB..

instead of a new topic I thought I would just post in this thread as those who are interested in alternative firmwares are likely to read it

a worm has been found that infects open firmware routers - estimated 80K routers around the world were compromised

We have come across a botnet worm spreading around called "psyb0t". It is notable because, according to my knowledge, it:

* is the first botnet worm to target routers and DSL modems

* contains shellcode for many mipsel devices

* is not targeting PCs or servers

* uses multiple strategies for exploitation, including bruteforce username and password combinations

* harvests usernames and passwords through deep packet inspection

* can scan for exploitable phpMyAdmin and MySQL servers

http://dronebl.org/blog/8

it has infected by bruteforcing ssh , telnet and webadmin on routers that have ports for these open to the outside world.

a good way to learn about setting up a VPN is with Tomato_openVPN_ GUI and openVPN client on your computer - easyrsa comes with the open VPN install and configuration of your server and clients is not very complicated.

instead of a new topic I thought I would just post in this thread as those who are interested in alternative firmwares are likely to read it

a worm has been found that infects open firmware routers - estimated 80K routers around the world were compromised

We have come across a botnet worm spreading around called "psyb0t". It is notable because, according to my knowledge, it:

* is the first botnet worm to target routers and DSL modems

* contains shellcode for many mipsel devices

* is not targeting PCs or servers

* uses multiple strategies for exploitation, including bruteforce username and password combinations

* harvests usernames and passwords through deep packet inspection

* can scan for exploitable phpMyAdmin and MySQL servers

http://dronebl.org/blog/8

it has infected by bruteforcing ssh , telnet and webadmin on routers that have ports for these open to the outside world.

a good way to learn about setting up a VPN is with Tomato_openVPN_ GUI and openVPN client on your computer - easyrsa comes with the open VPN install and configuration of your server and clients is not very complicated.

I assume these are all off by default, aren't they? I am not sure I turned them off... that worm sure sounds scary. Deep packet inspection?? <deleted>??

On second thought, would compromised machines on my local network also be able to install this worm? They could just bruteforce the admin password... Gonna set the pass to something formidable right now...

Edited by nikster