Fox Flames

Upcountry

I emailed FOX recently, to see if they would consider rebroadcasting their "hard news" programs during the Thai day, which is 12 hours ahead of EST during non-daylight savings time.

The response was that they do the same thing all over the world, and that they don't want to send out 'old news'. That's bogus, of course, and cheapness too. After all, the newspaper is many hours 'older' than TV news. My goal was to get them to not resend their stupid "opinion" propgrams several times a "day".

I'm surprised there aren't more flames about the lack of good North American news over here (after all, the CNN we see is more like BBC than anything). Somehow, we have to get cable TV here to expand their English-language news programming beyond FOX and ABC Asia. If they charged extra for CNN/BBC I'd sign up in a second.

So what's worth laughing at about FOX?

I'd like to see a comedy program make fun of them - the over-the-top pretention with "we report, you decide", the trailer trash hair-dos of some of the female anchors and personalities, the rabidness of Hannity etc. How about the obvious pandering to what they think is the christian majority (Jesus-land) mentality of their viewers?

I watch it for the small snippets of Americana and U.S. viewpoints that I can get. Sadly, their approach is blatantly slanted. It's incredibly hard to believe that their slogan isn't more along the line of "We decide for you, you couch "potatoes" you!" :D

I just noticed on "the BIG story" that Amber Frey sent Scott "The Purpose Driven Life", which she obviously saw promoted on FOX. :o

I really need to try to get more NPR on the Internet! :D

I don't know whether its too obvious to mention , but the showing of world weather every ten minutes , and the world stock exchanges on CNN, both with totally agravating background music (though CNN worse) instantly make me reach for the remote on both channels , probably this is the U.S. commercial break period, so not much hope of changing anything for us 'aliens'.

This 'problem' does not seem to afflict the BBC news Channel or Bloomberg, available in many Thai packages but not on Sophon Pattaya's cable provider making the interminable breaks inescapable if a news channel is required.

Edited by fisherd3