Public Places To Work

myauq

i've been living in bangkok for a year or so, and i've established some good contacts and resources for freelance research consultancies. i also like writing and publishing my own research, when time permits.

i often work from home, but i'd dearly like a place away from the distractions and comforts that sometimes compromise my productivity here. back in farangland i could just go to a public library or an office space at uni for a few hours and get things done. i've been trecking around grung teep for a few months now and i haven't found anywhere similar to work.

all i need is a quiet space with a desk and power supply, preferably in a public or university library, from which i can use my laptop to write reports for about 4-6 hours per day. i don't mind paying a fee, and i don't necessarily need wireless or internet access. a central location would be nice too.

i note that macdonalds and starbucks provide wireless (as well as tables, comfy chairs and beverages :o). despite what people have told me i feel a bit weird about staying for long periods of time on just an iced coffee. what's the story with these places - will they let you stay for a couple of hours, without hassling you to buy more cake and coffee? i'm not sure.

i've been to a few libraries too - nelson-hayes, the one in lad prao, the british council and another in the central world offices in siam. at lad prao and nh they thought it was odd that i just wanted a quiet place to work, and said that it was ok provided i pay for the electricity charges (B300 per day). it seemed like they just didn't like the idea at all. lad prao just refused, saying that only thai students could use the library (fair enough if really if they are students paying fees). this was the same story at the british council, even though it looked like there was plenty of spare tables to go around. the library at central world library seemed ok, but the shared desks for private use were over crowded and didn't offer much privacy.

any where else that people know of?

maybe i should simplify my question...

what is starbucks like as a place to work in with your laptop for a few hours?

seems like a better alternative to McDs. They have free wifi at Soi 8 pub if you want something stronger than coffee. I hear some bars in Nana and Cowboy will offer wifi soon - not for customers - for the girls however.

i don't mind paying a fee,

what better place to write than at The Oriental

http://www.mandarinoriental.com/bangkok/bu...s/at_the_hotel/

:o

Failing that, there are many places/hotels/cafes on the river that must be 100 times better for one's cerebral zen than sitting in a dingy pub or library.

i'm not sure the mandarin oriental hotel will let me sit around for free in their business loby, allowing me to work all day.

i like the idea of working near the river - could you give me a few names and addresses of these zen cafe-shrines you speak of?

libraries are peaceful, full of people studying, some with desks overlooking panoramic river/city views. most are great places to work, free of distractions.

hehe have you EVER known Thai people to ask someone to leave because they were loitering? I see people loitering everywhere all the time, nobody would ask you to leave Starbucks if you bought one coffee and sat there for 10 hours, nobody. I used to do it so ya that is first hand experience. Dont worry about getting a good seat because if you are there long enough the prime seats will open up eventually. Starbucks at emporium has a good spot to set up your laptop, the only problem is its a little hot being right next to giant windows, there are tons of better starbucks all over Bangkok, just emporium was close for me.

i don't mind paying a fee,

what better place to write than at The Oriental

http://www.mandarinoriental.com/bangkok/bu...s/at_the_hotel/

:D

Failing that, there are many places/hotels/cafes on the river that must be 100 times better for one's cerebral zen than sitting in a dingy pub or library.

i'm not sure the mandarin oriental hotel will let me sit around for free in their business loby, allowing me to work all day.

but you did type, and i quoted "i dont mind paying a fee".... :o

hehe have you EVER known Thai people to ask someone to leave because they were loitering? I see people loitering everywhere all the time, nobody would ask you to leave Starbucks if you bought one coffee and sat there for 10 hours, nobody. I used to do it so ya that is first hand experience. Dont worry about getting a good seat because if you are there long enough the prime seats will open up eventually. Starbucks at emporium has a good spot to set up your laptop, the only problem is its a little hot being right next to giant windows, there are tons of better starbucks all over Bangkok, just emporium was close for me.

i went to a public library in lumpini today and was very disappointed. it was full of people, had no spare desks and - WORST OF ALL - every power socket was taped over with electrical wire, preventing people like me from bringing in their laptops and working there (<deleted> - WHY????)

after that i went to starbucks. Sabum, you're right, it was very laid back - a not so nice tasting sausage roll, chocolate cake and iced tea bought me a few hours of undisturbed peace and quiet. not bad.

only problem was that the wii-fi seemed a bit pricey - B150 an hour. anyone know anywhere cheaper for public wii-fi, except for pubs (sorry james)?

Actually, I was asked to get up out of my seat and leave because the seat was for their customers only.

The seating in question was just a few tables outside the entrance to a few small shops. I thought it was general seating and sat down to drink something I'd just bought. I didn't know it was seating only for the smoothie cart that set up shop there at night. hel_l, the night was over and nobody was around anyways. Just some mobile cart guy being a random jerk.

i went to a public library in lumpini today and was very disappointed. it was full of people, had no spare desks and - WORST OF ALL - every power socket was taped over with electrical wire, preventing people like me from bringing in their laptops and working there (<deleted> - WHY????)

after that i went to starbucks. Sabum, you're right, it was very laid back - a not so nice tasting sausage roll, chocolate cake and iced tea bought me a few hours of undisturbed peace and quiet. not bad.

only problem was that the wii-fi seemed a bit pricey - B150 an hour. anyone know anywhere cheaper for public wii-fi, except for pubs (sorry james)?

Starbucks is fine I agree! And I get claustrophia from spending to much time in my appartment.. There is also the added benefit of chatting up random people when you need a break.

To answer your question about WIFI. True Wifi has several Wifi packages that allow you to get online anywhere that has connection, which most central starbucks have. 100 baht buys you 24 hours,you can get it in some 7-11 and Family Mart(you can split it up), you can also buy much cheaper wifi with True, but my thai reading is too poor to figure out their site (no english).

I hate it when some tool with a laptop takes up a whole table in starbucks when there is nowhere to sit for people who just want to have a coffee and leave. What better place for peace and quite than your own room.

It's a free world...

this topic has aroused me....

GreenSnapper Posted Yesterday, 2009-03-17 22:48:56

True wifi can be had for free, just sign up for 'bkk green wifi'.

Otherwise, DTAC edge for about 3B/h is another good solution.

Is it me or is the green bkk free wifi in Thai language only? press on the English version and the free green BKK wifi mysteriously disappears! go figure, must a mistake in the websites coding !!!! Nothing free here for you farang !

I think the Op needs to ask where you can also plug your laptop into the mains for a longer stay than battery life only...

this topic has aroused me....

GreenSnapper Posted Yesterday, 2009-03-17 22:48:56

True wifi can be had for free, just sign up for 'bkk green wifi'.

Otherwise, DTAC edge for about 3B/h is another good solution.

Is it me or is the green bkk free wifi in Thai language only? press on the English version and the free green BKK wifi mysteriously disappears! go figure, must a mistake in the websites coding !!!! Nothing free here for you farang !

I think the Op needs to ask where you can also plug your laptop into the mains for a longer stay than battery life only...

yes, a quiet place for reading and writing for a couple of hours is what i'm looking for.

though free or cheap wifi is definitely an added bonus. i don't really want to pay B150 at starbucks to connect to their - the food/coffee is bad enough.

i see on the stickman's site that coffee world offer free wifi, which i might check out tomorrow. other than that, it might be worth finding a good spot to work at then going to the nearest seven-11 and seeing what packages they have if they've got any for that area.

i went to the british council today, and it seems like they used to allow people (farang and thai) in to use the facilities - desks, chairs, study areas etc. now, however, because they are in the process of renovating it's not really a feasible place to work until all the work has finished. it also seems like an idea place because of the free wifi in that area (siam sq). great.

although i don't mind setup in starbucks, i don't find it such a comfortable place to work for long periods of time. it just seems weird to stay for long periods of time on a small purchase.

might try and explore some uni libraries later in the week. anyone have any suggestions?

You can set up round my pad while I'm at work, as long as you don't eat my biscuits or wee on the toilet seat. Oh and if you could iron a few shirts and wash a couple of plates that would be great. Once a week change the sheets - you know how to use a washing machine, right? And if you could water the plants when they look thirsty. Oh yeah, and when you leave if you could just drop the trash off at the bins.

But yeah, use my wifi. As for fees, how about 300 baht a day... no, tell you what, just give me 5,000 baht a month.

Oh, and please make sure the ice tray is always full.

i went to the british council today, and it seems like they used to allow people (farang and thai) in to use the facilities - desks, chairs, study areas etc. now, however, because they are in the process of renovating it's not really a feasible place to work until all the work has finished. it also seems like an idea place because of the free wifi in that area (siam sq). great.

although i don't mind setup in starbucks, i don't find it such a comfortable place to work for long periods of time. it just seems weird to stay for long periods of time on a small purchase.

might try and explore some uni libraries later in the week. anyone have any suggestions?

I don't understand mate, why you need to be away from your home in order to write or whatever you do online? Surely Sbucks wouldn't mind if you buy two coffees - one per hour?

At Chidlom station, you can spend the morning in McD's and the afternoon in Sbucks next door.

At Chidlom station, you can spend the morning in McD's and the afternoon in Sbucks next door.

oh joy

was being sarcastic PC, get with the programme mate. nice avatar :o

I wasn't, I was being deadly serious. Ahem.

(PS - your avatar looks a bit wonky. As if the wheels have come off, or something. I'm sure it wasn't like that before Saturday)

Starbucks Langsuan is a good place to work, but also very popular with students taking up tables for hours on end. The staff don't seem to mind if/when you buy your drinks. They have True wi-fi, so connecting with a free Greenspace account is a good idea so long as you don't need huge bandwidth for music/video etc.

Black Canyons offer free WLAN wi-fi with a purchase - they need a copy of your ID (passport number) and they'll print you out the log-in and password which can be used for 1 day only. It's quite fast too.

Other popular places where folks I know have virtual offices are Bug & Bee and Coffee Society on Silom and TCDC on top floor of Emporium - a good place to work but requires a membership.

There is a Facebook group called "free wifi in Bangkok" where people share other places too.

I hate it when some tool with a laptop takes up a whole table in starbucks when there is nowhere to sit for people who just want to have a coffee and leave. What better place for peace and quite than your own room.

I totally agree....nothing worse than a kee-niaou farang "free-rider" filling up the space of paying customers..........seen this so many times.......

I totally agree....nothing worse than a kee-niaou farang "free-rider" filling up the space of paying customers..........seen this so many times.......

...and you've never seen a thai person using a laptop in starbucks? to speak from my own limited experience, i have only ever seen thais do this - sometimes they like to show off when meeting someone, or just sit there working (like me, drinking coffee and eating the odd snack).

there is no need to make what was just an (unfounded though not too offensive) jibe into a racial one. and how do you know if they are freeloaders if you yourself haven't outstayed them long enough to know?

i hate people who prejudge others like this.