Fundraising In Chiang Mai-how To Let People Know?

brickroad

I volunteer my free time and skills to help people Thai or otherwise. Any extra money I receive for doing extra work from my place of employment goes into a scholarship fund for poor students that are struggling with financial problems. My father told me many times "charity begins at home" so, perhaps find a volunteer position where you may be of service (call it home) and don't worry so much about the giving of money but give of yourself.

If you are a Thai, you do not need advice from farang. Let Thais do it. Let Thais raise money for Thai wats, schools, orphanages, Burmese, dogs, cats. Not our job and besides, we do not have work permits to do it.

What a silly response, not to mention a very sad one.

And who said everyone on her is Farang anyway, not to mention that there would be a lot of excellent advice available here no matter the race of the TV member!

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

If a Farang member of this forum was asking other members to donate to a charity organization for which he doesn't work at all but believes is worth supporting, would it be legal/allowed by Thaivisa? (It's a genuine question, not an attempt to stir sh.t)

Just out the top of my head:

* Placing ad's on online classifieds both in English and Thai where that is allowed.

* Make a good website

* Ask a local newspaper or magazine to come over and have them write an article, or write the article yourself and give to them with pictures.

* Make flyers an distribute them

* Put up flyers in supermarkets and other establishments.

* Ask the CEC, CMFG or the Informal Northen Thai Group if there is interest in a talk about the charity. Inform about Thai possibilities. Maybe Thaino1 can give suggestions.

* Organize a fundraising event and have the local news (Thai and English) involved.

Maybe others can add idea's.

Case in point, I think UNICEF are a worthy cause, and they do many projects in Thaiand:

http://www.unicef.org/thailand/support_2498.html

(Admittedly that's stirring shit, but that's as much to do with it being a remarkably prevalent substance on the forum as it is to do with the act of stirring. )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

* Ask a local newspaper or magazine to come over and have them write an article, or write the article yourself and give to them with pictures.

Right, and not just local papers; take some good pictures and write a press release and send it to the Bangkok post or the Nation; they'll print anything.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Just out the top of my head:

* Placing ad's on online classifieds both in English and Thai where that is allowed.

* Make a good website

* Make flyers an distribute them

* Put up flyers in supermarkets and other establishments.

* Ask the CEC, CMFG or the Informal Northen Thai Group if there is interest in a talk about the charity. Inform about Thai possibilities. Maybe Thaino1 can give suggestions.

* Organize a fundraising event and have the local news (Thai and English) involved.

Maybe others can add idea's.

Peaceblondies point is very valid. If you are farang do not get involved in even unpaid work. It is illegal. It is not a thaivisa rule perse. It is against Thai law.

Peaceblondies point is very valid. If you are farang do not get involved in even unpaid work. It is illegal. It is not a thaivisa rule perse. It is against Thai law.

That statement is completely incorrect. And the word 'farang' is completley out of place as well, obviously for nationalities other than Thai (not just Farang, mind) there are rules that you must comply with, such as having the appropriate visa and work permit. Or are you suggesting that UNICEF staff at their Bangkok office are there illegally?

Also there are many examples of exemptions, sometimes de-facto exemptions. You'd not need to look further than tourist police volunteers, people affiliated with religious organizations and so on. The examples stretch all the way from Western are Rotary Club members to biker clubs organizing events that help people.. you won't find them shaking in their boots on being illegal to contribute to society. It's yet another example of somethign that seemed like a simple rule for a forum but ended up completely skewed in its implementation. This is ironic because Thai labour law has that rule but at least they're more sensible in its enforcement!

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Fair enough, there are some good suggestions here in answer to the OP's question, particularly Nienke's.

Thai Visa encourages all members to do something for your community.

However, the policy regarding solicitation of donations for charities remains. Thai Visa cannot vet each organization to ensure that they are legitimate and not in contravention of Thai law. As a web portal, we have a certain liability under local law that we must be attentive of.

No matter how worthy, no matter how wonderful you may feel your pet charity is- solicitation is prohibited. Period.

So my suggestion is, if you want to get the word out about your charitable org, follow Nienke's advice. Particularly her advice to start your own website.

Thank you for your understanding; thread closed.