15 Years Of Free Education Program Launched

sriracha john

Trang people satisfied with free education policy

TRANG, 23 May 2009 (NNT) – Students’ parents and guardians in Trang are satisfied with the free education program, even though they pay some extra expenses, while expecting the policy will be continued from now on.

After the government launched the 15-year free education policy this semester for the first time, Thai children got needed support to access fundamental education and some burden of their parents could be shared during the economic crisis. Most parents and guardians were satisfied with the policy.

A guardian of grade-one student in Trang Kindergarten School, Mr.Charnwit Chaimanee said that currently he had received money from the government completely and was satisfied with the policy, because it could help guardians a lot, although they still had to pay for some expenditures.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2009-05-23

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fine. Let's see if this is more than a publicity stunt. Let's see if it lasts more than a news cycle. This country is still decades behind war-wracked Vietnam and Cambodia and despotic Myanmar in its educational system. Let's see them reform the teachers and the administrators.

Now why would we want to educate the peasants? The only way up is to become a small time criminal, if you are ruthless enough and live long enough to survive the shark pool and make the big time you can buy your way into society and get yourself or your well-educated kids into the military or parliament. Donate to a wat, build a school, fund a project and the bloodstains magically disappear as your face increases with your bank account.

"forget it Jake, It's Chinatown..." :)

I think this was really aimed at the north, where parents are forced to pay tuition fees, and pay for uniforms, books, materials and activities. This law is an attempt to give parents the right of 15 years of free education for their children. It probably would make more sense to send out auditors and investigators to the northern provinces and clamp down on corrupt directors and administrators who were extracting fees, rather than have the MOE dump more money into their pockets.

My Thai wife's three kids are in public school...two different schools south of Pattaya...Here parents had to buy all the stuff mentioned in the quote..Hey, this is the first time I've used a quote....this term my wife was given just over 500 baht for each kid...It is a help but does not cover all the expenses. One of the schools says the books are free this year. Last year the oldest daughter had to pay a 500 baht service charge for the computer class...now, both daughters are in the same school...don't know about the lab fee yet. Girl and boy scout uniforms are required also. This is a good start.

Why don't you sent your wife's children to ISB or BKK Pattana?

In my case there would be the tiny problem of coming up with five hundred thousand to a million baht per year.

Even in rich western countries this is about half to a full average yearly net salary, and far beyond the means of common people. Here in Thailand, for somebody who is not on an expat package, or independently rich ... :) ... forget it.

In my case there would be the tiny problem of coming up with five hundred thousand to a million baht per year.

Even in rich western countries this is about half to a full average yearly net salary, and far beyond the means of common people. Here in Thailand, for somebody who is not on an expat package, or independently rich ... :) ... forget it.

If they were your children (instead of your wife's), would you act otherwise? Just curious.

If they were your children (instead of your wife's), would you act otherwise? Just curious.

From what he says, he could not afford to pay such large fees.

I certainly couldn't afford to pay 500K to 1 mill per year to educate my stepchildren. But I'm interested in what you are saying, so please let me know how having a child from my blood will increase my income so much! I didn't realise that this happened.

This program resulted in 500฿ in discounts for the already over priced pirated books and a 1000฿ discount on the tuition. I'm not complaining seriously it's better than nothing for sure but in no way is it free. My daughters school simply put it like this, if we take the 1,500฿ the government is giving us per semester per student what kind of teachers, books and resources do you think we can have for your children, I agree with them 100%. Free busing on the other hand would save a lot of money in fuel and cut down on the traffic jams in the city.

I certainly couldn't afford to pay 500K to 1 mill per year to educate my stepchildren. But I'm interested in what you are saying, so please let me know how having a child from my blood will increase my income so much! I didn't realise that this happened.

It will not increase your income, but it might increase your willingness to part your savings.

It will not increase your income, but it might increase your willingness to part your savings.

I can assure you that in my case it wouldn't be possible. To pay out that sort of money, I would have to sell my Uk property as I have little in the way of savings. If I sold my property, then no rental income to support the family.

Many people who live here are living on an income, they don't necessarily have large amounts of savings to draw on.

Rayong teachers and parents content with government's free education scheme

RAYONG, 27 May 2009 (NNT) - Teachers and parents in Rayong were satisfied with the Government’s 15-years free education scheme which would significantly lighten parent’s financial burdens and make good quality education accessible.

Mr. Winai Chimwong, the Director of Rayong Office of the Welfare Promotion Commission for Teachers and Education Personnel (OTEP), said he was satisfied with the government’s free education scheme. He said the scheme helped students better concentrate on their study as they did not have to be worried about their parents’ difficulty in paying tuition. Moreover, teachers were glad with assistance provided to their students, resulting in higher teaching efficiency.

The Rayong OTEP director expressed his thankfulness to the government for its scheme that was very helpful for learning and teaching. He pointed out that parents in Rayong were also content with the scheme and asked the government to continually maintain it.

The free education scheme could well reflect the government’s determination in enhancing the quality of national education and easing parents’ financial burdens, said Mr. Manit. The scheme also exposed students to equal access to high quality education.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2009-05-27

Schools pressure HIV-infected kids to quit

By: CHAROENLUCK PHETPRADUB

Published: 27/05/2009 at 05:09 AM

YASOTHON: Some schools are forcing children from the Yasothon-based Ban Home Hug, a child welfare organisation, to leave after learning they are infected with HIV.

Children under the foundation's care face discrimination from directors and teachers at some schools and have been barred from studying at the establishments, said Suthasinee Noi-In, the founder of Ban Home Hug.

The schools fear many parents will not allow their children to mingle with HIV-infected children, she said.

Ms Suthasinee said three HIV-infected children from Ban Home Hug had been asked to leave a kindergarten in a northeastern province. Another HIV-infected boy who was about to start Mathayom 1 (Grade 7) was rejected by the school.

The discrimination faced by these HIV-infected children comes after their lives at Ban Home Hug were made public.

The discrimination against HIV-infected children shows the failure of the Public Health Ministry's campaign to create better public understanding of HIV/Aids, Ms Suthasinee said.

"The ministry's campaign to educate people on the issue has failed. Many people, even knowledgeable people like teachers, still lack understanding of this disease," she said.

... continue here

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 27/05/2009

• 3 weeks later...

DEPRIVED CHILDREN

2.5 Billion Baht to go on education

The Education Ministry plans to spend 2.5 billion baht over three years to offer a standard education to ethnic minority and alien workers' children in Thailand. Deputy Education Minister Chaiwuti Bannawat said yesterday that with the money the Education Ministry would provide new school buildings, residences, lunches, and training and returns for teachers so the underprivileged children would receive a standard education.

He will seek Cabinet approval for the spending on Tuesday. The ministry plans to help about 200,000 underprivileged children. Half of the kids being targeted are ethnic minority children such as Hmong, Karen, Muser, Akha, and Moken, and the rest are the children of foreign workers from Burma, Laos, and Cambodia.

The children live in the provinces of their ethnic groups such as Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Tak, and Kanchanaburi or the workplaces of their parents, including border provinces and provinces that are industrial bases such as Tak, Kanchanaburi, Samut Sakhon, and Bangkok.

Continued:

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-06-13

Sure do sound good on the surface, let's hope that the funds are indeed use as plan and not be a spinoff for other things, many many young kid in rural Thailand/Isan area can't afford school, must work, sell flowers with mom at local market to put rice on the table, these folks can't afford, school uniforms, books, pen paper and other school supplies, this money if use properly should be directed as such need, I hope the people in charge will do just that but I would bet on it, there will be a zillions excuse why the money isn't spent for this. :D:) sure hope I'm wrong on this one.

Mandatory school uniforms have kept more kids out of school

than EVER inculcated a sense of national-self in those that CAN afford them,

which was the original aim. 'Branding' a grand set of peoples, at a crossroads of cultures,

into a 'Thai branded one nation' of the same same people, regardless of origins and sub-cultures.

Don't join 100% then you are a regressivist OTHER... clinging to backwardness,

and thus subject to increased prejudice for not being a joiner.

(Insert name of hilltribe trying to not lose it's unique culture here.)

Schools should be able to teach with JUST blank paper and blackboards.

Even if it would be better with books also.

To keep a child from school because the family can't afford books and uniforms,

is a classic prejudicial move against the poor.

Edited by animatic

Mandatory school uniforms have kept more kids out of school

than EVER inculcated a sense of national-self in those that CAN afford them,

which was the original aim. 'Branding' a grand set of peoples, at a crossroads of cultures,

into a 'Thai branded one nation' of the same same people, regardless of origins and sub-cultures.

Don't join 100% then you are a regressivist OTHER... clinging to backwardness,

and thus subject to increased prejudice for not being a joiner.

(Insert name of hilltribe trying to not lose it's unique culture here.)

Schools should be able to teach with JUST blank paper and blackboards.

Even if it would be better with books also.

To keep a child from school because the family can't afford books and uniforms,

is a classic prejudicial move against the poor.

Indeed the annual school uniform and scout/guide kit etc as cheap as it seems to us can casue a lot of heartache in the villages. Seen it myself.

Schools always seem to find something that needs little extra moolah befor eit can be done whether it is schools for the poor or up. Funny thing is however much more money is ploughed in whether the education is improved is very much moot. In many urban areas kids are forced into either incredibly expensive air conditioned tutor schools (run by relatives of teachers and which seem to have an uncanny knack of guessing what is coming on exams) or massive extra-cost "lien piset" after school programs that manage to simplify the incredibly difficult concepts introduced but not so well explained in classrooms. Of course in up country schools it is a bit different and on a lesser financial scale.

I think this was really aimed at the north, where parents are forced to pay tuition fees, and pay for uniforms, books, materials and activities. This law is an attempt to give parents the right of 15 years of free education for their children. It probably would make more sense to send out auditors and investigators to the northern provinces and clamp down on corrupt directors and administrators who were extracting fees, rather than have the MOE dump more money into their pockets.

My Thai wife's three kids are in public school...two different schools south of Pattaya...Here parents had to buy all the stuff mentioned in the quote..Hey, this is the first time I've used a quote....this term my wife was given just over 500 baht for each kid...It is a help but does not cover all the expenses. One of the schools says the books are free this year. Last year the oldest daughter had to pay a 500 baht service charge for the computer class...now, both daughters are in the same school...don't know about the lab fee yet. Girl and boy scout uniforms are required also. This is a good start.

This is how the school in our village did it also. Each kid was given 552 baht with a list of what the money should be spent on. Every one was required to bring receipts to show how the money was spent. The stupid thing about this was the books alone cost over 500 baht. A better way to do this would be for the school to buy all the books and hand them out the first day of class. Then the school would be able to get a quantity discount and the parents would not have to go into Chiang Mai to buy the books.

Some else mentioned a requirement for new back packs and clothes every year. I have never heard of this at our school.As long as the clothes and back packs are still serviceable they are still used.

Jurin vows to improve 15-yr-free-education scheme

BANGKOK, 22 June 2009 (NNT) – Education Minister Jurin Laksanawisit vows the Government’s free education scheme will improve next year and admits that this year’s implementation has problems.

The minister said the 15-year-free-education scheme was deemed successful despite some difficulties in the beginning. He added that the ministry would launch another project aimed at developing education in small schools across the country. The ministry hoped that the project would improve the quality of teachers and the schools’ basic facilities, Mr Jurin said.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2009-06-22

The only good thing about this free education program is that they teaches you that Cambodia belongs to Thailand. So is Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, Southern China, Malaysia and especially Singapore.

However, the Thais were so generous, they gave all these away, temporary.

All schools required to provide free education to disabled children

The Education Ministry will issue a directive to require all schools to allow children with a disability to study without paying tuition fees, Education Minister Jurin Laksanawisit said Thursday.

Jurin said the plan to provide free education for children with a disability was approved by the committee in charge of promoting education for disabled children.

The directive will also prohibit any school from refusing enrollments of disabled students.

Does this scheme include the disabled and blind children??

See http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Blind-Thais-...-E-t275104.html

As per above, yes.

Fortunately, the Education Ministry is run by Jurin (Democrat) and not by the moron Chaovarat (Bhum Jai Thai).

that they teaches you that

Perhaps you could take advantage of some of the free English language classes.

120pxgrammarnazisvg.png

grammar nazi. maybe you should read the forum rules: "However English is not always the first language of our members so don't waste space correcting other members' grammar and spelling where it isn't necessary."

beside that, that "15 years of free education" is not much more that big, big propaganda talk. some 500 baht per year will help the poorest of course, but it doesn't assure an equal change of getting a proper education for everybody.

You mean "an equal chance," don't you?

For many, it equates to a lot more than 500 baht. And while it may be lacking, it's an unprecedented amount of assistance to all Thai people...including the poorest of the poor, who got squat during previous governments.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for sharing this useful information. It's great.

You're welcome and thank you for your first post.

Do you have thoughts or opinions on the unprecedented attempts by the new government to institute free education?

The Dems need to push their universal free eductaion plan as it sets them aside form all other parties and it is a populaist policy that Thaksin resisted to retain support of the up country feudal barons that TRT was full of.

It will be interesting to see if the Dems can market and sell this policy which is something very dear to the hearts of lots of farmers who want their kids to have a bette rlife but who are not aware of this. The Dems arent good at marketing things. TRT were.

Only a party with little support in the rural fiefdoms will offer better education to the poor in them as those with power wont want to risk what better education may do to their suppor bases, natural status and shady business deals.

Interesting but count on PTP and the reds trying to undermine it and likely succeeding due to Dem inability to play the PR game.

Fine. Let's see if this is more than a publicity stunt. Let's see if it lasts more than a news cycle. This country is still decades behind war-wracked Vietnam and Cambodia and despotic Myanmar in its educational system. Let's see them reform the teachers and the administrators.

decades behind Cambodia and Myanmar? Would you have any figures for this, like percentages of children who attend school? In which way is Cambodia and Myanmar more successful at education?

The main trouble with Thai schools is that the state uses is as its main tool for indoctrination of the population, but it seems to be successful at educating the three R's. The Thai literacy rates are amongst the highest in the world and far far higher than Myanmar and Cambodia.

• 3 weeks later...

Poll: Majority satisfied with 15-year free education

BANGKOK, 31 July 2009 (NNT) - The majority of respondents in the recent poll of Suan Dusit Rajabhat University agreed that the 15-year free education program was the most satisfactory while the government's financial management was the worst.

The Suan Dusit Poll was conducted among people nationwide on the Democrat-led government's performance during its first 6 months in office. The poll showed that out of the total score of 10, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva was given a score of 7.38 for his efforts and 6.37 for his accomplishments. The cabinet received a score of 6.30 for its commitment and 5.94 for overall performance. Meanwhile, the entire government was given a score of 6.26 for its intention to work for the country, 6.18 for providing freedom to public servants, 5.82 for its honesty and 5.66 for its unity.

As for overall performance by ministry, the Education Ministry ranked first with a score of 6.69, followed by the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security with 6.64 points and the Ministry of Tourism and Sports with 6.38 points. The ministries receiving the least confidence from the respondents were the Transport Ministry, the Finance Ministry and the Commerce Ministry.

The survey also indicated that the majority was most satisfied with the 15-year free education, followed by the state welfare for the elderly and underprivileged people, the 2,000-baht check handout for low-income earners, the 5 relief measures to aid the poor and the government’s devotion to its duties. On the other hand, the government’s poorest performances included the handling of the country's financial and economic problems as well as the high cost of living, the assistance for the agricultural sector and the preventative measures against the A (H1N1) flu outbreak.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2009-07-31