Fiancee Visa Application Question

Hi all

I met my now Fiancee in Thailand in 2001 and we have continued a relationship. I returned to TLand in March of last year to see her and her family and my Fiancee travelled to the UK last year on a 6 month tourist Visa. We have known each other just over 3 years.

My Fiancee handed in her Fiancee Visa application last month to the British Embassy, she was contacted by them and was asked to bring in some additional documents. She went to the Embassy last week with the documents and while she was there the Embassy also asked her some questions about our relationship and about myself for which she answered them.

The last question they asked was what date we are getting married. My Fiancee answered by saying she dosen't know as a date cannot be set for a marriage in England until both parties are present in England ( she knew that a date cannot be set until she is in the UK ), so far as we were concerned. We were to set a date once she was in the UK. I spoke with my local Registry office who confirmed that they cannot give us a wedding date until my Fiancee is with me in the UK. Surely the Embassy staff know this but they still asked the question ? How can I furnish them with a wedding date ?

How would be the best way that I can respond to the Embassy regarding this issue, should I email them, phone them or should my Fiancee contact them( she can speak English ) ? We have an appointment in March this year for an interview as I will be in Thailand then, I would obviuosly like to straighten out this issue before then.

I would appreciate anyones views or advice on this.

Thank you

Regards

C Sorts

Clive,

You have to marry within 6 months of your fiancée arriving in the UK. The visa officer will be aware that it will not be possible to arrange a date as yet but is probably looking for an indication of the likely date just to establish that plans are afoot. Either write a letter or send an e-mail along the lines of, we expect my fiancée to arrive in the UK on such and such a date. We then have to wait x weeks before we give notice of our intention to marry, so we intend to tie the knot circa (date).

Cheers,

Scouse.

Clive,

You have to marry within 6 months of your fiancée arriving in the UK. The visa officer will be aware that it will not be possible to arrange a date as yet but is probably looking for an indication of the likely date just to establish that plans are afoot. Either write a letter or send an e-mail along the lines of, we expect my fiancée to arrive in the UK on such and such a date. We then have to wait x weeks before we give notice of our intention to marry, so we intend to tie the knot circa (date).

Cheers,

Scouse.

Hi Scouse

Thank you for reply and advice.

I will do the email to the Embassy and explain the date we have in mind for the Wedding.

I am travelling back to the UK in mid march, should I say that my Fiancee will be travelling to the UK then with me or would that come across as presumptuous ? I suppose I should say " she plans to travel " then ?

We intend to marry 4-5 months after arrival to UK.

Thank you

Regards

Clive Sorts

Clive,

I've just posted in another thread about a change in the immigration rules governing marriage. Providing that your fiancée has the settlement visa there won't be a problem but from 1/2/05 you will no longer be able to just pop down your local registrar in order to give notice of the marriage. Check out the other thread.

Scouse.

Edited by the scouser

Clive,

I've just posted in another thread about a change in the immigration rules governing marriage. Providing that your fiancée has the settlement visa there won't be a problem but from 1/2/05 you will no longer be able to just pop down your local registrar in order to give notice of the marriage. Check out the other thread.

Scouse.

Hi Scouse

I had a read of the new rules, if i see it right if we have the Fiancee visa we can go to the registry office and marry.

It seems people on non Fiance/ee & Marriage visas need to apply for " certificate of approval " from the Home Office.

Also, spoke to Embassy staff today regarding the wedding date problem, Lady there said to obtain a letter from the registry office explaining that we are unable to fix a wedding date because both parties are not in the UK at the moment and to bring the letter to the interview. To be on the safe side I am contemplating on bringing some brochures on wedding venues also to the interview.

Regards

Clive Sorts

Hi Clive,

Strange, as the letter from the registrar will only prove what the embassy staff already know. Ah well, there's no harm in obtaining the letter.

From the Home Office website it would appear as if you can only give notice at one of the designated offices:-

People who are subject to immigration control will also be required to give notice to marry to a registrar at one of a number of designated register offices throughout the UK.

Although it does seem that as your g/f will hold a fiancé(e) visa she won't require a certificate of approval.

Scouse.

Edited by the scouser