Single Parent Ex Los With Child

This is a bit novel:

My ‘Friend’ who is a Brit and a girl…has a Thai husband whom she married in the UK about 5 years ago.

They have one little girl, born in Thailand, but with Thai and UK Birth Certificates. She also has UK and Thai Passports. She was born in 2001....If I have got this straight..!!

They, all of them, together. have been to the UK once in 2003…for about 3 months…Mother on UK Passport, Husband on Thai Passport with Visa, Daughter on UK Passport with Thai Birth Certificate to leave Country ie.LOS for first time.

When they returned to LOS…Mother comes in on UK passport, with Non-Immigrant O Visa and then applies for extensions of stay..90 day stuff. Husband and Daughter come in on Thai Passports.

Now ‘Friend’ wants to take daughter back to UK for short ie. I month holiday to see Granny …….nothing sinister here…they have houses, businesses, etc in LOS…..but been ‘suggested’ to her, by Bill, I suppose in Laksi, that she cannot take: Quote: ‘Thai Child’ ie daughter with UK and Thai Passports out of LOS without Husband accompanying. Airline apparently ?Thai confirms they would not let child go on UK Passport nor on Thai Passport with Right of Abode sticker from UK Embassy…Husband must go too!! Can this be true

What if it was other way round also? ie. Guy, Thai or Farang wanted to take young daughter to UK or USA or wherever for month holiday to see Granny, on UK/US Passport ie. Non-Thai, or whatever, too., without GF/ wife?

Are they saying no ‘Thai’, well half Thai, child can leave the country, if he/she entered on Thai Passport, without both parents leaving, together?

OK I accept have to protect kids from ‘kidnappers’ mad/squabbling parents,etc…but real life?

Anyone with any experience of documentation required or case histories, to achieve successful outcome! ?Anyway is any of this true?!

the next logical question that your friends should have asked is that if the father cannot go too, will they accept some sort of official permission slip from the Dad.

From memory, this topic has been brought up on this board before. Try and do a search and see what you find.

Simple answer is for Dad to take them to the airport (carrying his own passport / id card), so that airline or immigration can talk to him if they want to check they've got his permission for them to go.

Personally, I've travelled to the UK with my Thai stepdaughter (on her Thai passport, with a different surname), with me on my UK passport. No issue whatsoever in Thailand, but immigration in the UK did ask where her mother was. (Answer: Already in UK).

However, mother and daughter travelling, same surname, I'd be surprised if there's any issue.

This is common at most airlines/airports these days that a single parent or others must have signed paperwork to allow travel. Should be able to find further information using Google as it came as a surprise to me also when first mentioned in forum a few months ago. Wife and I have traveled with grandchildren of another surname without trouble in the past but they were asked who we were. Seems things are tighter these days.