Best Flea Precaution For Cats?

hi everyone,

our two cats have quite a lot of contact with the stray ones from the neighborhood. i do not really want to know what lives in their hair ;O)

is frontline really the only (poisonous & expensive) alternative, or is there something else? i do not prefer to poison them once a month ;(

thanks!

There are flea collars containing natural citrus oils for sale here, think I saw them at the pet shop in the soi behind Villa Market on Sukhumvit and maybe also at Chatuchak. Whether they work, I can't say. Need to be cautious though about any kind of collar as they may get caught on things and choke the cat, especially if the cat goes outside which sounds like yours do. If you go that route make sure it is snug enough that it is not likely to catch on anything.

If you want to know if the cat has fleas it is very easy: hold the cat above a blank white unlined sheet of paper and vigourously ruffle the fur (or comb if you have a very fine toothed comb) then examine the paper. If you see tiny black dots, those are flea feces.

The worst time of year is the cool season, that's when the fleas really seek out warm bodies to live on.Doesn';t seem to be so bad in hot season.

unfortunately those collars don't work, even those with perithrinin - the only one working effectively are frontline and similar. My neighbours cat has once a year antiflee injection, works as well and is cheaper than frontline. I use frontline from time to time, when I see that flees went out of controll and cat scratches itself

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

with a furless cat problem with flees and the other insects solved - but cat's skin easily burns from the sun and fur is a protection from cuts to it, so race like this is an indoor one. Even trimming the fur, to alleviate insects problem (like it's done on dogs), is not recommended on cats.

My friend had a cat who lost it's fur because of the skin illness and veterinarian advised to put the cat to sleep