Another Motorbike Accident. Who Cares? Tit

coalminer

Saturday, I went to the Suzuki service station with my car for the 5,000 km check as always.

At this service station, a young guy in his early 20's, used to work on my car.

He was a wonderful bright guy who didn't care to help me out a few months before when my car was refusing to work and I had an important meeting.

Many co-workers asked his advice if they had problems with a car, and he was able to repair any car in no time.

But this Saturday he was absent.

Asking one of his co-workers if they had any news about the guy, one co-worker braught me the bad news that he was run over on his motorcycle by a car at his home while turning into his driveway Friday night.

The driver of the car was coming back from a night out with his friends and had been drinking whiskey all night long.

The poorr guy was on life-support and the hospital was waiting for his father to give the permission to switch the life-support off as his brains were to much damaged.

A young man, with a good future, wasted by another whiskey addicted fellow countryman.

The driver of the car is happylly driving around and there is no sign that he will ever see his driving permit be taken out like in most Western countries.

NEVER drive a motorbike in Thailand.

I have been driving motorbikes all my life, but I will never drive a motorbike on the road in Thailand.

RIP my good friend.

And to the whiskey addicted guy, I hope you rot in h_ell.

dam_n shame :o

I seen a katoey on a bike broad sided by a car in daylight, he went into the intersection when it turned green and WHACK he was

nailed. I could almost here the cracking bones on impact.

If u are the first to enter an intersection please CHECK BOTH WAYS, i never see anyone look, just blindly speed out

dam_n shame :D

I seen a katoey on a bike broad sided by a car in daylight, he went into the intersection when it turned green and WHACK he was

nailed. I could almost here the cracking bones on impact.

If u are the first to enter an intersection please CHECK BOTH WAYS, i never see anyone look, just blindly speed out

Always remember , the GREEN light only indicates it is your turn to procceed , it does not mean it is SAFE to do so , use all 3 sets of eyes and you may live a little longer to tell the tale :o

My condolences to the family and friends as well as all the customers who relied on this nice guy to take care of their problems.

May the driver's car break down and may no one be able to fix it.

Drunken Idiot

This was a group of rescue workers loading a morotcycle into the back of a pick-up at the side of a road.

I heard that someone saw the victim on television. He lived but needed both his legs amputated.

Warning Gruesome. For adults.

Edited by dotcom

So you're saying we should all give up our bikes? How am I supposed to get around? Walk? Take public transport?

But I suppose you could also die if you walked across the road and were splattered. Many ways to die here.

I have been driving a bike now for a while and it isnt that bad. You just have to be carefull, but even walking or in a car your not safe for drunk drivers. But even if the guys license is taken it doesn't mather much because the police will accept a bribe if he is caught without a license.

My gf always tells me to drive as much to the left as possible.. i dont i take up space because the more space you give cars the more inclined they are to push you even further away.

P.s i will not drive during songkran... i might like my motor cycle but im not crazy.

So you're saying we should all give up our bikes? How am I supposed to get around? Walk? Take public transport?

But I suppose you could also die if you walked across the road and were splattered. Many ways to die here.

Banker!

My, what a lot of thoughtful, safety conscious, boring farts we have here. Never ride a motorcycle, you might get knocked off. Never cross the street, you might get run over. Never cross the train tracks, a train might hit you. Never eat the local food, you might get food poisoning. Never read the Trink page, you might get AIDS. Never piss off a Thai, you might get shot. Never take a shower, you might slip and break your arm. Never leave your house, the sky might fall on your head. Better to stay in bed, live to be 100 and regret the things you never did when you were young enough to enjoy them. Beats me how any of you worked up the courage to get on a plane and come here in the first place.

For those trying to justify riding a motorcycle, good luck. It's not IF you will have an accident, it's when.

Gary A, I have heard that argument before, not just relating to Thailand but other countries too.

I have ridden motorcycles for many years here in Thailand & would guestimate that I have covered in excess of 150,000km whilst doing so & have never had an accident here.

One incident I will relay to you though is, once I got off my motorcycle, took two steps, misjudged my footing and fell down a set of concrete stairs.....fortunately I had my helmet on, but I broke my shoulder, which caused me considerable trouble for some time :o .

With considerable motorcycling experience I can tell you that my only accidents have been trackside & in the bush (dirt bike riding) which is the nature of the beast.

Your theory on this is not as simply and dry cut as you state.

Drunken Idiot

This was a group of rescue workers loading a morotcycle into the back of a pick-up at the side of a road.

I heard that someone saw the victim on television. He lived but needed both his legs amputated.

Warning Gruesome. For adults.

DOTCOM,

That crash happened in Chaengwattana - very sad & terribly sad to hear the crys of his son witnessing the entire thing :o . One of the real scarey things here on the road - DRUNKEN IDIOTS & yes before I'm flamed, you get that in most parts of the world!

I truly do wish you continued good luck. Maybe I should tell you that I love to ride and still do. I ride near home upcountry. I carefully watch for dogs, buffalo, cattle, iron buffalo, kids and a few drunks that are on the road even during the day. I just run over the chickens.

After two VERY close calls while living in Jomtien, I sold my Kawasaki Boss.

Leaving with GF from 2nd road and cutting through alongside Big C shopping centre.

GF was ahead of me and turned right at the junction. M/Bike taxi I was on stopped owing to traffic.

A bike coming up the hill slowed down to turn left when a pick-up rammed it in the back throwing both people off and sending aforementioned bike into the one I were sat on??

Bike missed my leg by inches but I was still thrown off by the impact onto the main road. M/Bike rider had his leg broken and was on the road moaning quietly.

Security? from Big C came running over to help telling me to stay were I was, I got up since it had been raining and the water was running down the road where I was lying and I were by now absolutely soaked.

Ambulance came with the BIB and did I want to go to hospital, refused. Another M/Bike from the same rank came and took me home where the GF was outside squating in the road phoning all and sundry. First time I had seen concern in a big way from her. That's why we are still together

Had a shower and went to bed. In morning thought I had taken up rugby again so sore was my back, neck and lefthand side.

My bike is being parked up during Songkran. As usual will look three ways when crossing a one way street

Edited by tmd5855

Gary A,

I understand what you are saying. I strongly believe that 'drivers' from other countries that don't ride motorcycles in their home country or don't ride often, come to Thailand and jump on a hired ride and start ripping around are at the higher end of the risk scale.

For many keen motorcyclists, the control of the motorcycle becomes instinctive, especially for those who have undertaken training and constantly engage in 'best practice' & therefore their entire concentration can be on the road in front, idiots in front, behind, left, right, above and below. The motorcycle simply becomes and extension to the body. For the novice, who is concentrating on balance, gears, braking, position on the road etc etc.....the results are often end in disaster.

What the government should do is show videos like that and also the chaing mai accident one on every television channel for like 2 weeks before any celebration to ram it into their skulls just really what does and can happen when you are drunk or drive like an arse.

But no..........their great idea BAN ALCOHOL.......for 3 days.................JEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZEE

Sad to hear,

if you can go back to the service center and get details to send your wishes to the family,and perhaps translate to thai what you have in your OP i think you may help this family understand that there son in his short life,had made an impression on other people.

Slightly off topic,

Having witnessed many bikers being involved in accidents in the UK, I couldn't believe that bikers in Thailand are just as stupid. Every motorbike crash I've seen, bar 1, has been the fault of the biker and not the car. The most common crash is when cars are sitting in traffic and a biker is illegaly weaving in and out of the said stationary traffic and the traffic starts to move and the biker is caught between moving cars and then they have the cheek to complain that the car drivers should have given way to them just because they are on a motorbike, cyclists are even worse. I rode a motorbike for years and so I've seen it from both sides and whenever I approached stationary traffic, I did what you are meant to do, sit in the queue of traffic and wait. While I'm trully sorry for anybody that is seriously injured or loses their life through no fault of their own like the OP's friend, I've less sympathy for the others who put themselves and other road users in danger.

While Thailand might seem more dangerous, like many othe posters have said, use your common sense.

Brigante7

I would prefer to be dead if I couldn't ride.

FOR SURE I'LL PARK IT FOR 5 DAYS OF SONGKRAN. I'll use the car with the doors locked. Use the pool here in my condo.

You lucky fcuks in Pattaya get to celebrate for a month. Party on!!!!

For those trying to justify riding a motorcycle, good luck. It's not IF you will have an accident, it's when.

Gary A, I have heard that argument before, not just relating to Thailand but other countries too.

I have ridden motorcycles for many years here in Thailand & would guestimate that I have covered in excess of 150,000km whilst doing so & have never had an accident here.

One incident I will relay to you though is, once I got off my motorcycle, took two steps, misjudged my footing and fell down a set of concrete stairs.....fortunately I had my helmet on, but I broke my shoulder, which caused me considerable trouble for some time :o .

With considerable motorcycling experience I can tell you that my only accidents have been trackside & in the bush (dirt bike riding) which is the nature of the beast.

Your theory on this is not as simply and dry cut as you state.

I daily ride a motorcycle, and also have never had an accident. As said you have to ride defensively using all of your eyes>

In 20 years of riding and driving all over Thailand I've had a couple of bumps. Once when a primary school girl ran her motor scooter into the side of my car, and once when a pick up truck pulled out in front of my bike. I'm not naive enough to think it won't happen again, there probably will be more, hopefully as minor as these two, but who can say? I'm not going to sit around the house everyday in case something happens to me when I leave it. I do have some rules I follow - always wear a helmet and proper armoured clothing, never ride after drinking, never ride at night, and never ride anything less than 400cc for any distance on a main road. It's dangerous, and not my idea of fun, having cars constantly overtaking only inches away.

There is, on average, someone killed on a scooter near my place every three - four months, and we don't live near a busy road. Alcohol is usually a factor and, in 90% of the cases, no other vehicle is involved. They hit trees, lamp posts, the little concrete road markers, animals, people, you name it, they hit it, and usually going fast enough for it to kill them. It all leads back to the ambivalence shown to, mainly, young men who get drunk, get on a scooter and speed through the village. Nobody stops them or even says anything to them. This live and let live attitude that many have here is quite simply a live and let die one for many.

My, what a lot of thoughtful, safety conscious, boring farts we have here. Never ride a motorcycle, you might get knocked off. Never cross the street, you might get run over. Never cross the train tracks, a train might hit you. Never eat the local food, you might get food poisoning. Never read the Trink page, you might get AIDS. Never piss off a Thai, you might get shot. Never take a shower, you might slip and break your arm. Never leave your house, the sky might fall on your head. Better to stay in bed, live to be 100 and regret the things you never did when you were young enough to enjoy them. Beats me how any of you worked up the courage to get on a plane and come here in the first place.

I know that's what I felt the way some of the posters are carrying on.

Terrible things happen all over the world, but it doesn't mean you stop living your life because of them.

A rear end smash is the hardest thing to avoid, especially when you are turning into your homeground.

I always, without exception make a lifesavers check when I am turning into a road, path, drive etc. 9 times out of 10 theres no danger.... But for that 1 time out of 1000....