Crystal Boys

endure

Hi there Endure. Yes - I am bored as I have another 2 weeks before I can return to work after my hernia operation. According to Wikipedia:

Crystal Boys (孽子, pinyin: Nièzǐ, "sons of sin") is a novel written by Pai Hsien-yung and first published in 1983 in Taiwan. In 1988, this novel went into circulation in China; its French and English translations were published in 1985 and 1989.

Nièzǐ means literally "sinful sons" or "sons of sin", but it may also be an allusion to a passage in Mencius in which "friendless officials and concubine's sons" (孤臣孽子) reach positions of power because they have learned to live with a dangerous status.

A movie called Outcasts was based on this novel in 1986. In 2003, the material was adapted by Taiwan Public Television Service Foundation into a miniseries, which has gained great attention.

[edit]Plot summary

The story takes place in Taipei in the 1960s (or, in the most recent film adaptation, in 1973), and follows a short period in the life of a young man called Li-Qing (李青, nicknamed A-Qing).

When A-Qing is expelled from his school because of "scandalous relations" with classmate Zhao Ying (趙英), his father kicks him out of the family home. A-Qing begins to hang out at a park called New Park, a gay cruising area and hangout for gay men, where he meets the novel's other primary characters.

The story focuses on A-Qing's struggle between himself, his family, and a society where homosexuality is taboo.

There's also some You Tube videos. Link is here.

Hope that helps. Peter.

I looked some of the clips that opened from the link above. I became sad for the same reason I didn't like Brokeback Mountain movie - there were simply so much sadness and feeling that living a gay life would not become anything else than misery and failure.

Asians tend to hide their personal life from working colleagues and family if they are gay. This of course, applies mostly to those being upscale in the society. There certainly are issues even in Thailand that have to be faced up front. Just started to think what happened in Chiang Mai and didn't feel good...

Many Thai gays that I know of 'loose face' if the truth is told openly. Sometimes it bothers me, sometimes not. I myself try to be open. Truth to be told, have been having trouble with farang attitudes more than Thai ones.

Yes, novels and movies need a complex plot with drama and action. But the serious ones I have seen, like Brokeback Mountain and Last Song, are tragic throughout. Can we think of happy stories of men who are comfortable with their sexuality and are not killed for it?

I've read the book and I actually have a full set of avi files of Crystal Boys. I was just wondering if anyone had ever seen n EDnglish dubbed version. I've watched it all the way through 2 or 3 time but it's like watching any film in a laguage you don't understand - you miss a lot of the subtleties.

Edited by endure

I was aware of Crystal boys but have never seen it, an English dubbed version would indeed be interesting. I know "New Park", AKA "2/28 Peace Park", very well :o Outdoor cruising grounds aren't my thing, but "the park" is very different. Not a sleazy place with furtive guys wandering off into the bushes for a fumble, but rather a meeting place for Taipei's young gays. Large groups of them hanging around talking and laughing. Of course people do hook up, but then go off elsewhere to consummate their new friendship :D

Never been anywhere else like it, the openess of gay people there is quite the opposite of what you would expect from Chinese culture, or maybe that was the point of the film.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's off topic, but a recent gay movie that is sort of happy ending, or at least not about oppression or suffering, is Kiss the Bride.

I like it a lot and makes me reminisce about friends who got married when you think they shouldn't. I mean when you have concern about their sexuality and whether it truly matters.

I like the witty conversations between the lead and his best friend, although it may seem very cliche. It won't win any Oscar, but I recommend it for entertainment. Besides, the lead actors are hot!!! :D

If you are looking for a Thai one, I recommend "Down The River". It has English subtitle. I think for a Thai film with a small budget, this is a good one, and it's not one of those ridiculous Katoey movies. Visually beautiful cinematography with beautiful music, and it has some great spiritual (Buddhist) wisdom in it, too.

Oh, and for a current non-gay Thai film, I love love love "Best In Time" or Short Memory but Lasting Love. It's not easy finding a good Thai film like this. :o

If you are looking for a Thai one, I recommend "Down The River". It has English subtitle. I think for a Thai film with a small budget, this is a good one, and it's not one of those ridiculous Katoey movies. Visually beautiful cinematography with beautiful music, and it has some great spiritual (Buddhist) wisdom in it, too.

Any idea where I can buy 'Down the River' for shipping to the UK please?

Any idea where I can buy 'Down the River' for shipping to the UK please?

I think I've seen some DVD down in Silom area. I haven't been there for quite a while, but I'm pretty sure you could ask someone to find it for you in Silom. The Thai title is "ตามสายน้ำ".