Close Aides To Blame For Thaksin's Political End: Samak

george

Close aides to blame for Thaksin's political end: Samak

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Samak Sundaravej said ousted leader Thaksin Shinawatra's political demise could mainly be blamed on his close aides, adding that he realised this when he was made PM in 2008.

"After I became prime minister, I knew right away that the politicians who worked with Thaksin were all selfish and worried about themselves instead of the country," Samak said.

"Most of the aides were not good and gave bad advice to Thaksin. They were more concerned about their own benefits," the former leader said in an interview with the Dok Bia magazine recently.

-- The Nation 2009-03-24

So now his aides are added to the long list of those blamed for his downfall. It's amazing that such a successful businessman and politician could be such a poor judge of character. Until Thaksin can face up to the fact that the vast majority of his problems are entirely of his own making and take the blame like a man, he will be left to continue squeaking in to red rallies from abroad like the mouse he is.

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Samak Sundaravej said ousted leader Thaksin Shinawatra's political demise could mainly be blamed on his close aides, adding that he realised this when he was made PM in 2008.

"After I became prime minister, I knew right away that the politicians who worked with Thaksin were all selfish and worried about themselves instead of the country," Samak said.

"Most of the aides were not good and gave bad advice to Thaksin. They were more concerned about their own benefits," the former leader said in an interview with the Dok Bia magazine recently.

-- The Nation 2009-03-24

So, Thaksin's political demise is really from his own close aides and not the Privy Counselors he just blamed it on.

Careful guys, your emotions towards Thaksin are affecting your judgement again.

Samak said Thaksin's downfall could be down to his close aides. That is Samak's opinion.

He's also pointing out those around Thaksin were acting in their own interest instead of the country's.

Sorry to interrupt another misinformed anti-Thaksin rant, please do carry on.

Samak said Thaksin's downfall could be down to his close aides. That is Samak's opinion.

He's also pointing out those around Thaksin were acting in their own interest instead of the country's.

good comment

Ballpoint doesn't like Thaksin , does he?

If, sometime in the future - maybe decades away - he did come back would ballpoint put on a different colour shirt on thaivisa.

Samak could be wrong.

He said what he said, we take it as it is, there's nothing "misinformed" about it.

Thaksin's political demise is a reality, his aides are real, they were supposed to give me advice and it turned out bad. Who is to blame? Samak thinks that it's time to mention the aides, no one mentioned them before.

...."After I became prime minister, I knew right away that the politicians who worked with Thaksin were all selfish and worried about themselves instead of the country," Samak said......They were more concerned about their own benefits"....

And it took you all this time to work this out for yourself, eh? Just why are you trying to save your own skin at this late point? Get back into government under a new coloured shirt?

good comment

Ballpoint doesn't like Thaksin , does he?

If, sometime in the future - maybe decades away - he did come back would ballpoint put on a different colour shirt on thaivisa.

Not that it's got anything to do with this thread, but no, I wouldn't. My reasons for disliking Thaksin have been given in a number of posts, in a number of threads. Suffice it to say, he had the chance to be one of the great PM's of the country (not that there's been many of them), and not only blew it, but stole it, killed it and gave it a good kicking too. If that wasn't reason enough, his continued bleating, refusal to take responsibility for his actions, and attempts to drag the country back when it needs to be going forwards, would have done it. If, however, he faced up to his crimes, did the time and was legally elected at some future date I wouldn't be advocating his ouster by anything other than election, unless he went back to his old tricks again. I wouldn't like it, and I certainly wouldn't be waving his flag, but I would accept it. I can't see him changing though. Unfortunately, I can see him trying to come back in the great power struggle which will take place sooner or later. I just hope I'm as wrong about that as I was when I thought a millionaire from the PDP who formed his own party would be a good choice for PM.

Back on topic, why has Samak come out and said this now? Do you really think he hasn't discussed it with Thaksin? If not, why does he feel the need to be making excuses for him? If the allegations are true, then why was Samak able to see through these aides in a few months when Thaksin couldn't in a few years? And, more importantly, what does being surrounded by a bunch of "selfish" people who were "worried about themselves instead of the country" have to do with Thaksin's obvious corruption? Is he going to say they forced him to do it? The poor man was just a puppet in some aide's scheme to make Thaksin even richer? Or is he a good man, but without the willpower to do the right thing when surrounded by evil, and so went along with it, to his own benefit? Answers please. Relevant ones with facts, rather than just pitiful attacks on those who don't agree with you.

Samak explains Thaksin's downfall

Former prime minister Samak Sundaravej said ousted leader Thaksin Shinawatra's political demise could mainly be blamed on his close aides, adding that he realised this when he was made PM in 2008.

"Most of the aides were not good and gave bad advice to Thaksin.

They were more concerned about their own benefits," the former leader said in an interview with the Dok Bia magazine recently.

Samak said that Thaksin wasn't given the right information by his aides either.

"Like when the People's Alliance for Democracy were protesting, Thaksin's aides told him that there were only some 1,000 protesters at the rallies, when the correct number could have been 10,000."

Since he was given the wrong information, Thaksin wrongly evaluated the circumstances, he explained.

Samak was disqualified as premier for violating the constitution last September. Later he was diagnosed with liver cancer and travelled to the US for treatment. Samak is now recovering in Bangkok.

- The Nation / 2009-03-24

Unfortunately, I can see him trying to come back in the great power struggle which will take place sooner or later.

Dead right there BP.

"And the prodigal son returned, for even though he had taken the family's money, the inheritance of his brothers and sisters, and squandered it on frivolous things, everyone rejoiced at his arrival, for their hearts were heavy."

....its prophecied in the Bible, people ! (Somewhere towards the back)

I expect its in Nostradamus too

Not wanting to throw a spanner in the works but wasn't Thailand better when Taxi was in power. Didn't hear so much about murders high crime rates and drug fuel'd gangs roaming the streets when he was in power.

Not wanting to throw a spanner in the works but wasn't Thailand better when Taxi was in power. Didn't hear so much about murders high crime rates and drug fuel'd gangs roaming the streets when he was in power.

but it was even better before he was in power.....

100% correct! 54 baht/dollar, economy in ruin; how long until the Dems get us back there? Those were the days!

So now his aides are added to the long list of those blamed for his downfall. It's amazing that such a successful businessman and politician could be such a poor judge of character. Until Thaksin can face up to the fact that the vast majority of his problems are entirely of his own making and take the blame like a man, he will be left to continue squeaking in to red rallies from abroad like the mouse he is.

Who cares :o:D

Samak actually comes across as candid and refreshing.

I guess he is looking towards refurbishing his legacy.

He also pretty spot on, maybe not 100%, "could mainly be blamed on his close aides"

but it does seem to fit much of the history I observed.

But I ALSO remember Thaksin saying when one prominent aide left :(paraphrased)

'It doesn't matter if he goes, I am the only one doing any work here anyways.'

Coming from the mouth of Thaksin the listener and delegator of authority.

In this thread, the usual suspects, parsing and weaving, of course

leave the usual rancid taste in the back of the gorge.

Edited by animatic

Didn't hear so much about murders high crime rates and drug fuel'd gangs roaming the streets when he was in power.

At one point media were prohibited to report on daily murders because there were too many - dozens of people every day.

Right now I don't see much news about drug fuel'd gangs or high crime rates either. As for crimes - I remembersit was a concern for a few months back in the Thaksin's time, when people were advised not to cross the roads via pedestrian bridges.

And yes, Dems seem to always be called in to clear up the mess left by the likes of Chavalit, fulfil pledges made by Thaksin's team (future team) to the IMF, only to get all the flack from the Great Ungrateful.

Samak got it right, and also wrong.

Many people have already warned during the height of Thaksin's power about the tale of 'The Emperor's new clothes'!

Thaksin is a man who only likes what he hears (and still is) and thus surrounded himself with 'yes' men. He deceived himself. Why blame others?

Certainly a contributory factor. It is no secret that the advisers are divided and some just plain hate each other. There are also plenty of rumours of all of them liking the money and the power it has given to some of them who otherwise would have remained untalented nobodies. The most interesting people to talk to on any of these issues are actually TRT/PPP/PTP cadres. Plenty of interesting stories there.

Samak was a kind of outside insider and so has a unique perspective of what was actually happening. He is also obviously referring to missteps politcally that led to the coup and Thaksin's further strategic blunders after.

It is quite likley that Thaksin is now going to go for it. He no longer has anything tolose. The next few months will be interesting as he is going to unleash the red shirts. The PTP is basicaly in ruins and so factional it cant even discipline MPs who voted for the government in the censure. That leaves only the red shirts and their only option is probably violence of some kind. Note Thaksin is about the only person who already refers tocivil war when ohters are talking of increasing calm. The questions are:

How much support do the red shirts have

How united are the red shirts (as pro-Thaksin movement rather than some leftist one)

If they get out of control will public sympathy turn against them

It is going to be long shot by Thaksin and if it doesnt work he is probably finished. Then again right now it looks like he is drifting into defeat without any effective challenge tothe government. Lets hope however that this analysis of using the red more aggresivley as most analysts seem agreed on as about to start doesnt actually come to fruition or if it does violence is averted.

The reaction of the yellows will also be interesting. They are going to be goaded if they react it gets messy.If they dont it is likely the authorites can take any steps they want to stop the red side with public sympathy. The public remain concerned more about economy and remain bored with politcal conflict imho.

100% correct! 54 baht/dollar, economy in ruin; how long until the Dems get us back there? Those were the days!

You have this completely backwards. Completely backwards.

It was the Dem's that were brought into power after the devaluation to save the country. They succeeded. When Thaksin came into power, Thailand was already well on its way to recovery. The Dem's are the party that people look to when others have raped Thailand for their personal gain, so it is not surprising in the least that following the PPP, the Dem's were once again brought in.

Getting Thailand's economy on track will take time (as it will getting the US's and Europe's economies on track). In addition, the current government is a coalition government, making it all the more difficult to get things done. However, as recently shown, economic recovery in Thailand wouldn't be anymore than a pipe dream if the PPP/PTP were still allowed to govern. At least Thailand now has a fighting chance.

Certainly a contributory factor. It is no secret that the advisers are divided and some just plain hate each other. There are also plenty of rumours of all of them liking the money and the power it has given to some of them who otherwise would have remained untalented nobodies. The most interesting people to talk to on any of these issues are actually TRT/PPP/PTP cadres. Plenty of interesting stories there.

Samak was a kind of outside insider and so has a unique perspective of what was actually happening. He is also obviously referring to missteps politcally that led to the coup and Thaksin's further strategic blunders after.

It is quite likley that Thaksin is now going to go for it. He no longer has anything tolose. The next few months will be interesting as he is going to unleash the red shirts. The PTP is basicaly in ruins and so factional it cant even discipline MPs who voted for the government in the censure. That leaves only the red shirts and their only option is probably violence of some kind. Note Thaksin is about the only person who already refers tocivil war when ohters are talking of increasing calm. The questions are:

How much support do the red shirts have

How united are the red shirts (as pro-Thaksin movement rather than some leftist one)

If they get out of control will public sympathy turn against them

It is going to be long shot by Thaksin and if it doesnt work he is probably finished. Then again right now it looks like he is drifting into defeat without any effective challenge tothe government. Lets hope however that this analysis of using the red more aggresivley as most analysts seem agreed on as about to start doesnt actually come to fruition or if it does violence is averted.

The reaction of the yellows will also be interesting. They are going to be goaded if they react it gets messy.If they dont it is likely the authorites can take any steps they want to stop the red side with public sympathy. The public remain concerned more about economy and remain bored with politcal conflict imho.

With the declining economy and rising unemployment, the Red Shirts know full well that their main chance of employment is to continue earning their money by putting on red shirts and demonstrating. This is their job and they will do what is necessary to continue to earn their money. Hence, as they have already shown, if the job calls for violence, they will oblige.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to money and return on investment. Right now, the supporters of the Red Shirts are seeing little. Therefore, as you have said, they will have to step it up (i.e. violence) and attempt to cause chaos to topple the current government. From their perspective, they really don't have any choice as, currently, they are losing badly.

I suspect the military will be ready for this and seek to end Thaksin 's influence once and for all. As we have said so many times, keep your head down.

-- The Nation 2009-03-24

Surely Samak only became PM with Thakin's full approval? Biting the hand that fed him?

Thaksin appointed 'his advisors' so he must take the blame if they turned out to be totally self serving. Furthermore they were advisors; Thaksin had the executive power. By all means listen to advice but he didn't have to act upon it. His management style was always hands on and very little moved without his say so. Thaksin is of course typically Thai; won't shoulder responsibility for anything and the concept of accountability has passed him by.

Go away Samak. You've had your 5 minutes of fame. Go away and do something commensurate with your abilities - like frying a few eggs.

And Thaksin was not?