My Hairs Bigger Than Yours!

Shola

I'm sure I can't be the only one who's noticed this but it seems to me the the higher status of a Thai woman, i.e the wealthier she gets the more obnoxious her hair becomes!

These large, rock hard buffont formations seem to state wealth and command respect!

Just an observation over the years here!

I call it granny hair.

Me and my hubby often notice these women in department stores or resturants, we often have a giggle and can work out easily who the 'mother hen' of the group is by the size of her buffont! (and that they're usually wearing one or two extra bling encrusted rings!)

It's not just in Thailand. I remember a dozen years ago sitting in a restraunt in Winnipeg watching my drunken roomate and his drunker girlfriend throwing toothpicks into the 'beehive' hair of a lady sitting behind us.

She left without noticing the three stuck in her nest. :o

cv

same all over the world though :o

I wouldn't say i've noticed it as a status symbol anywhere else though, a few women with bad fashion sence yeah but here it really seems to dipict there expected respect factor and wealth!

I think it's a physcological thing of wanting to look bigger than you actually are, sort of like thew animal kingdom, (Hey I'm a fan of Nat Geo O.K!)

Don't you disrespect me my hairs huge!

The most intriguing of this whole thing I find that moment in a woman's life when she apparently thinks "Ok, away with the nice long hair, I'm joinging the 'big hair' crowd".

Willing to bet it's around the same time when hubbie gets a mia noi. Without the big hair. But.......... what comes first? The mia noi for hubbie or the big hair for the missus?

The most intriguing of this whole thing I find that moment in a woman's life when she apparently thinks "Ok, away with the nice long hair, I'm joinging the 'big hair' crowd". 

Willing to bet it's around the same time when hubbie gets a mia noi.  Without the big hair.  But.......... what comes first?  The mia noi for hubbie or the big hair for the missus?

I picture it along these lines. As soon as hubby notices an upward trend in the hair department, he takes one look and says to himself " Jesus H, the hairs starting to move and so am I...I'm off to find some new fish"

As time goes on, the bigger the hair gets, the younger the mai noi gets. :o

I picture it along these lines. As soon as hubby notices an upward trend in the hair department, he takes one look and says to himself " Jesus H, the hairs starting to move and so am I...I'm off to find some new fish"

LOL (or 5555 for the thai ppl in here)... the mental picture is crackin' me up.

I've always vowed never to let the "big hair" concept grow on me, but who knows, maybe in 20 years or so.... pray for me peoples!

Big-hair hi-so ladies. Where would Thailand be without em? :o

I remember years ago reading about a mudmee silk sale at the Palace, sponsored by the Queen. I wanted to buy some for my mom so we went. I found myself tussling with lots of big hair hi-so ladies. It was just like a scene in a movie, piles of silk on tables, me pulling one end of a piece of fabric, some big haired lady pulling on the other, giving me the evil eye. Oblivious farang that I was, I won :D Usually, I am guessing, a lesser haired woman would have let her have it.

:o I picked up on this as well... It really became crystal clear during New Years's in Hua Hin when the missus and I were having dinner at La Villa's. Place was packed with big hair all over the place. I thought all the gals from the Thai soap operas had come in to town. I made the comment.. no actually.. I made her promise that when we were rich, that she couldn't make her hair like that :D

:o I picked up on this as well... It really became crystal clear during New Years's in Hua Hin when the missus and I were having dinner at La Villa's.  Place was packed with big hair all over the place. I thought all the gals from the Thai soap operas had come in to town. I made the comment.. no actually.. I made her promise that when we were rich, that she couldn't make her hair like that   :D

:D

I made my wife promise that she wouldn't pluck her eyebrows, then waste time and money painting on false ones every day. :D

Edited by Gazza

Right. I'm just going to make a fool of myself to entertain you lot a bit here.

This's my hair when I went to my friend's wedding last month. Big enough for a 31-year-old lass? :D

MyHair.jpg

But I promise I don't usually do that. Only when I go to a wedding held at a 4* or 5* hotel. :o

I think a lot of it has to do with copying the Queen, older thai ladies try to emulate her, regardless of their wealth or status in society, they all want to copy the Queens style. I know in the MIL's house that any new outfit she wears is copied around town a couple of weeks later, lots of middle aged thai ladies slaving over their singers to get the same outfit! Lucky the MIL has a short pixie hair style but when I moved back to the Uk, she was very happy with the hairspray & carmen rollers I left for her that I fear she may have gone the "big hair" route :o Set as high as possible & sprayed in place so it resembles a rock solid football :D

Right. I'm just going to make a fool of myself to entertain you lot a bit here.

This's my hair when I went to my friend's wedding last month. Big enough for a 31-year-old lass? :D

MyHair.jpg

But I promise I don't usually do that. Only when I go to a wedding held at a 4* or 5* hotel. :o

Lovely profile LC, but it still does not quite cut the mustard. The big haired grannies

don't have the tunsamai curls down the side like you do. :D