"farang Girls Phuket" On Facebook

Manda

Hi Girls,

Farang Girls Phuket” is a group of girls in Phuket, Thailand on Facebook.

I started “Farang Girls Phuket” because since I moved here I don’t find it all that easy to meet girls my age. I hope that by starting this group, girls in Phuket can find themselves new friends, expand their network and have a great time here.

So are you around the age of 30 or at least young at heart? And would you like to meet new people and go for drinks, see a movie, go clubbing, and all those fun things you did back home but do now miss the friends for?

Please request to join and let’s have a good time together!

//e-mail removed as per forum rules//

Ps. If you're not living in Phuket, sorry! Feel free of course to start your own group, I know Bangkok already has one! :o

• 1 month later...
Hi Girls,

Farang Girls Phuket” is a group of girls in Phuket, Thailand on Facebook.

I started “Farang Girls Phuket” because since I moved here I don’t find it all that easy to meet girls my age. I hope that by starting this group, girls in Phuket can find themselves new friends, expand their network and have a great time here.

So are you around the age of 30 or at least young at heart? And would you like to meet new people and go for drinks, see a movie, go clubbing, and all those fun things you did back home but do now miss the friends for?

Please request to join and let’s have a good time together!

//e-mail removed as per forum rules//

Ps. If you're not living in Phuket, sorry! Feel free of course to start your own group, I know Bangkok already has one! :)

Question is ..... why ????? yr in Thaliand go for thai girls........although the farang will be "low hanging fruit" in Thailand

The question is not why, but why not? Lighten up a little bit, life is too short to be not thinking outside the box!

Sounds like a good idea, but can I say please, about the term , " Farang".

I think it's racist as it means " Caucasian"

Thais don't call foreigners from other Asian countries by this term, only western, white skinned people.

And I am assuming other races are allowed to join your group ?

And presumably fully grown women, referred to as " Girls" really panders to the idea, and the resultant language usage- that being a "woman" is somehow undesirable, adult females should all aspire to be " Girls" ( i.e. young and sexually attractive.)

For perspective on the wide use of this term, " girls", ( I know it's totally acceptable, but that is what worries me,)

would a group of males of the same age as yourselves call themselves , "... Boys Club ?"

I know your club is about fun, but when I see these terms propagated, I have to speak up.

How about the Foreign Women's club?

Good luck

CFIT

Thais don't call foreigners from other Asian countries by this term, only western, white skinned people.

And presumably fully grown women, referred to as " Girls" really panders to the idea, and the resultant language usage- that being a "woman" is somehow undesirable, adult females should all aspire to be " Girls" ( i.e. young and sexually attractive.)

For perspective on the wide use of this term, " girls", ( I know it's totally acceptable, but that is what worries me,)

would a group of males of the same age as yourselves call themselves , "... Boys Club ?"

I know your club is about fun, but when I see these terms propagated, I have to speak up.

Good luck

CFIT

THANKS MOM... you are for sure not the "Around 30" or "Young at heart" this farang girl/foreign woman wanted to join the group....

Good luck

CFIT

I dont think the OP wants to sit about with a bunch of coffin dodgers knitting, making jam and talking about the war ?

Lighten up on the wording as well. Who cares if they want to start a girls club. As for being called Farang ? So what ! It has never been said to me in a negative way in all the time I have been here. :)

Good luck

CFIT

Farang doesnt mean Caucasian, it means westerner. Its a general term. The way it can be said can sound racist, but its not a negative word (imo). Just, if someone were to say "Men!" or "Women!" in a derogatory way, it could be deemed sexist. Personally the term farang doesnt bother me in the slightest (..but when my bf says "women!" doesnt bother me either.) I guess its down to what you infer the meaning to be. Sometimes people can be too paranoid or sensitive when there really is no need to be. Anyway, if you go to the general forum, there are a lot of ongoing threads about the term "farang". I lost interest in reading it because i just dont care, but, it you may find it helpful/interesting.

As for the "girl" comment. Doesnt bother me either. Personally I find it quite endearing and cute. Ive also heard men call themselves boys and have heard and used the expression "boys night out/girls night out" in the UK.

I personally cant quite understand why any of these terms bothers some people so much, but of course its your choice. Just think its really not as big a deal or as negative as you may think.

• 2 months later...

Good luck

CFIT

I dont think the OP wants to sit about with a bunch of coffin dodgers knitting, making jam and talking about the war ?

Lighten up on the wording as well. Who cares if they want to start a girls club. As for being called Farang ? So what ! It has never been said to me in a negative way in all the time I have been here. :)

i agree dunc, what a twot !,i expect hes sat on the pc smokin a pipe with a flat cap on,! lol :D:D

cool! great i'll join up-- i belong to the bangkok group- but its so far from home..

im 39 very young at heart .. i still call myself girly.. and still love to go out on the town.. drinking, clubbing...

nothing wrong with a good binge.... it cleanser's the soul.. :) ...

id be up for it...

id love to meet up with any girlies any age, im not ageist.... your as old as you feel... coffee, shopping or nights out....

charlie xx

Good luck

CFIT

I'm sorry but I have to also come to the OP's defense here. What utter nonsense GFIT. As others already said, farang doesn't mean "Caucasian." It actually comes from the word "foreigner." Other Asians are in fact technically farang, but because there are more specific words available for them, "farang" typically isn't used to describe them. There was absolutely no implication the OP was excluding any nationality, I am sure Thai girls are even welcome. Only in your head does "farang" appear exclusionary, in the same way the word "girls" somehow inexplicably comes to mean one has to be "young and sexually attractive." What rubbish. "Girls" is perfectly acceptable term. It's unbelievable to me that someone trying to do something good gets called a racist, as if you are starting a "White girls club", which is what GFIT is essentially saying.

Now go have fun farang girls!

Edited by Scubabuddha

farang doesn't mean "Caucasian." It actually comes from the word "foreigner." Other Asians are in fact technically farang

No, Farang is only used about westerners.

ฝรั่ง

[ ฝะ-หฺรั่ง ]

fà-ràng

Translation คำแปล

[ Adjective, Noun ]

Westerner ; Caucasian ; "farang"

Western

The origin of the use of the term ฝรั่ง to describe all white-skinned Westerners remains somewhat uncertain. Some speculate that it's a derivation of ฝรั่งเศส ("France/French"), from a time of early French links with the Thai kingdom of Ayutthaya, which caused Thais at the time to view "white man" and "Frenchman" as interchangeable. But given that the French were far from the first Europeans to Ayutthaya - arriving 150 years after the Portuguese, and at least 50 years after the Spanish, Dutch and British - this theory seems somewhat unlikely.

The alternative and most well supported theory seems to be that it's a word the Thais picked up from early dealings with Middle Eastern traders, and that it's a derivation of "farangi", a Persian word for foreigners or the similar "farenghi" (Hindi) or "faranji" (Arabic). All are ultimately thought to have come from the Franks, the ancient empire that ruled over substantial parts of Western Europe.

Source: thai2english

Good luck

CFIT

I dont get this post????

so girls mean young and attractive,i know many youngish ladies and some are very ugly.

would a group of males of the same age as yourselves call themselves , "... Boys Club ?" I agree with this poster. If you thik it is not polite to be calles "farang" simply dont come here. He is right, it comes from the French word meaning Foreigner (farangie) nothink wrong with that. And the OP is just trying to get through life the best way she can and have fun while doing it. Ithink some people are just not ment to travel if they cannot accept the counties concepts, cultues, language etc etc.

Good luck

CFIT

I'm sorry but I have to also come to the OP's defense here. What utter nonsense GFIT. As others already said, farang doesn't mean "Caucasian." It actually comes from the word "foreigner." Other Asians are in fact technically farang, but because there are more specific words available for them, "farang" typically isn't used to describe them. There was absolutely no implication the OP was excluding any nationality, I am sure Thai girls are even welcome. Only in your head does "farang" appear exclusionary, in the same way the word "girls" somehow inexplicably comes to mean one has to be "young and sexually attractive." What rubbish. "Girls" is perfectly acceptable term. It's unbelievable to me that someone trying to do something good gets called a racist, as if you are starting a "White girls club", which is what GFIT is essentially saying.

Now go have fun farang girls!

farang doesn't mean "Caucasian." It actually comes from the word "foreigner." Other Asians are in fact technically farang

ฝรั่ง

[ ฝะ-หฺรั่ง ]

fà-ràng

Translation คำแปล

[ Adjective, Noun ]

Western

The origin of the use of the term ฝรั่ง to describe all white-skinned Westerners remains somewhat uncertain. Some speculate that it's a derivation of ฝรั่งเศส ("France/French"), from a time of early French links with the Thai kingdom of Ayutthaya, which caused Thais at the time to view "white man" and "Frenchman" as interchangeable. But given that the French were far from the first Europeans to Ayutthaya - arriving 150 years after the Portuguese, and at least 50 years after the Spanish, Dutch and British - this theory seems somewhat unlikely.

The alternative and most well supported theory seems to be that it's a word the Thais picked up from early dealings with Middle Eastern traders, and that it's a derivation of "farangi", a Persian word for foreigners or the similar "farenghi" (Hindi) or "faranji" (Arabic). All are ultimately thought to have come from the Franks, the ancient empire that ruled over substantial parts of Western Europe.

----------------------------------

Yes you are right! Some additional info.... As you said only white people is Falang. Black people is called "Nicko" for the rest of Asia with Asian looks = SMALL EYES.... they are not being called Falang, they are named after their repr. country i.e. South Korea, Nippon etc etc...

Glegolo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

:)

Good luck

CFIT

HA HA HA foreign womens club?? sounds great NOT ,, leave the girl alone, wat a pointless post, as if anyone would be that picky,, tut tut :D

sorry just had to speak up,,so pointless lol

Interesting point CFIT, but I'm not sure if you have been long here. Foreigners arriving here need to understand that Thais in general are racist :D , and they have a very strong class society where the ruling elite see that the poor should in general run around serving them :D . Though they don't necessarily mean to be rude about it, it's just that this is still a developing nation and foreign attitudes regarding race, gender and equality is not part of the general ethos or education system.

Most average Thais would be even unaware of these issues; except for kids in international schools or Thais with degrees from overseas. These type of discussions are far from common with average Thais. This would require breaking of cultural barriers and in a place steeped in tradition especially in regard to who is where in society, would be extremely difficult to break. The Jao Meuang (the ruling chieftains or sovereign rule) idea is still deeply embedded in underlying culture here even though this still stems from the 8th or 10th century! Remember you are in Thai - Land :D not Farang - Land!

The term farang is not necessarily derogatory though sometimes we certainly could feel this way. These people have no compulsion in asking personal questions like how much do you earn or making statements that,"You fat!" and not mean any harm by these style of comments. I can see your concern, but I wouldn't get too hyped about it here, there are just so many other issues which are of far greater importance at this stage. :)

Good luck

CFIT

Lighten up man

ฝรั่ง

[ ฝะ-หฺรั่ง ]

fà-ràng

Translation คำแปล

[ Adjective, Noun ]

Western

----------------------------------

Yes you are right! Some additional info.... As you said only white people is Falang. Black people is called "Nicko" for the rest of Asia with Asian looks = SMALL EYES.... they are not being called Falang, they are named after their repr. country i.e. South Korea, Nippon etc etc...

Glegolo

Actually the term "Farang" means white fruit. Have you people never bought a farang from a street vendor before?