Thai Aubergines

Hadrian1

If I remember correctly, when eating Green Curry in Thailand, I used to mostly get the golf ball sized green aubergines in it. However recently in the UK, I had some pea aubergines in my Green Curry. Which are most prevalent there? I think I prefer the pea ones.

I can't get either where I live. I have got hold of some seeds from Thailand. I have surface sowed both types. Most of the larger ones are sprouting nicely. Not one of the pea aubergines have sprouted yet despite being planted at the same time. I am starting both off indoors. Has anybody else tried growing them? Any tips? Thanks.

I haven't tried to grow either. I have had green curry in Thailand with both. I don't think the pea sized ones are actually considered aubergines.

Anyhow, for your information there is no known nutrients to the first, if you do a search on the web. My friend said that they're full of nutrients but according to my search that's not the case. I don't particularly like them and if there's no nutrients I certainly wouldn't consider eating them. The small pips are also blamed to cause an appendicitis.

Edited by Junglejumbo

good luck with the farming ;-)) It will be nice to have both apple eggplants and pea eggplants... The pea eggplants has somewhat of a bitter tint to them...but you can substitute it with peas for the color and appearance if you really cant get it...

i invite you to watch my video tutorial

Thai Green Chicken Curry - How to Make Authentic Version Recipe

enjoy

Thank you both for your replies.

I've seen your video before aircut. Very good. Maybe you could answer me what makes Thais choose either eggplants or the larger aubergines? Is it personal preference or just a case of what is at hand?

Still hoping for somebody to appear that have tried growing the smaller ones...... :o

I am afraid I can't be of much help, I have grown the pea eggplants but it was simply a matter of sowing the seed. They should sprout as easily as the others since they are, in fact, related. Solanum torvum is the pea sized eggplant and the larger one, also called brinjal is solanum melongena.

I am afraid I can't be of much help, I have grown the pea eggplants but it was simply a matter of sowing the seed. They should sprout as easily as the others since they are, in fact, related. Solanum torvum is the pea sized eggplant and the larger one, also called brinjal is solanum melongena.

Did you surface sow or plant them a few millimetres deep?

It was years ago, but I think i put them on the surface and then gently pushed them in. Didnt' really cover them but gave them a bit of a small depression to grow in.

The small ones are called Makua puang. The birds eat them and "deposit" them all over. Very easy to grow. Best cooked the day they are picked, as the skins toughen up quickly. Lots of info in the farming section re: Makua puang.

Regards.