Meeting Place

Wee Jimmy

On a previous posting I mentioned that ‘’The Meeting Place’’ in Nong Khai had opened again. I was there yesterday and was told that from 1/04/09 (Wednesday) all drinks are 50 Baht and this includes the spirit drinks. Everyday I am told there will also be a variety of 50 Bhat meals.

This is not an advert for ‘’The Meeting Place’’ it’s info for all who don’t know about it and for those on visa runs.

They also have budget accommodation.

Wee Jimmy

But does the 50 baht spirits include mixer :o:D ...only taking the piss Dave.

Lets hope that our new host can do something for the "Meeting Place" where others once failed. If his desired plans go ahead in the near future, its going to be one busy place for sure.

Guemlum

I know the Meeting Place for 17 years now. Meeting Place was nr 2 in town and for many years directed by good old Alan Patterson, he died a few years ago. Many tenants run his place and later a few other guys. Nongkhai now has about 20 places to sleep and to eat and to drink for farang and all places have just a few customers. Hum, usually the owner is the best customer in his place.....

For a guesthouse, Meeting Place is too closely situated to a huge parking lot (and repair) for big trucks. In those wooden rooms you hear everything. I hope this UK guy, I don't know his name but he rented Old Nobbi's place at the soi Rimkhong, will do well over there. But there are so many more pubs and guesthouses and not so many tourists anymore....

• 2 months later...

I don't know. Alan was an expert for expats with long term overstay and knew some guys to get things fixed smoothly (usually for 20 k baht) without lawyer and going to jail. What kind of visa do you mean ? Laos is easy and it is a do-it-yourself-thing. Also retirement visa you can do by yourself when you know the rules and have the paperwork in order.

There are many visa "experts" in town but a few of them are not trusted at the other side of the bridge.

Since there are new rules some visa can only be applied for in the region where you live. If you need a new T visa just go to Laos and apply for it. Takes two days. And queueing up....