Cash Into Thailand

maybe this is an old subject, but how much are you officially allowed to carry into thailand :o

As much as you want to bring. To be allowed to take out $US 10,000 or equivalent again you need to declare it on arrival.

If you bring more than 10,000 (?) USD (or equivalent in other currencies) in cash into the country, you'll have to fill out a form and declare it.

maybe this is an old subject, but how much are you officially allowed to carry into thailand :o

As much as you want to bring. To be allowed to take out $US 10,000 or equivalent again you need to declare it on arrival.

If you bring more than 10,000 (?) USD (or equivalent in other currencies) in cash into the country, you'll have to fill out a form and declare it.

IF you want to take it out again.

Kreon,

There is NO limit to how much you can bring in -- the more you bring in, the happier THEY are -- the trouble many fellas get into is when they then, at a later date, decide they want to take most or some of these funds OUT -- without the original transfer receipt it is just plain tough! .. that's the kicker.

Get the "incoming funds transfer" document issued to you when the funds arrive (with you or by SWIFT transfer etc.) -- guard that doc. dearly. You can then safely, and with only a little hemming and hawing, send it all back out again when you later choose to do so.

I've done this many times and it works flawlessly. :o

Kreon,

There is NO limit to how much you can bring in -- the more you bring in,  the happier THEY are -- the trouble many fellas get into is when they then, at a later date, decide they want to take most or some of these funds OUT -- without the original transfer receipt it is just plain tough! .. that's the kicker. 

Get the "incoming funds transfer" document issued to you when the funds arrive (with you or by SWIFT transfer etc.) -- guard that doc. dearly.  You can then safely, and with only a little hemming and hawing, send it all back out again when you later choose to do so.

You have it very right Harmonica :D

thanks all for your responses, it just confirmed what i thought all the way :D

i thought this was the case, but as i was asked at the airport, after they checked my bag(1st time ever in 20 yrs!), why i had 50K on me, i was not so sure :o

i told him that it was none of his business, and that did the job :D

au revoir

I don't know other countries' laws, but when you enter the USA (probably as a citizen or alien), they ask you how much you're bringing in and then warn that it's not illegal to bring in more than $20,000. But it's a crime not to DECLARE it. When you declare more than $10K, they probably send a CTR (Currency Transaction Report) to the IRS, which may later track it against your reported world-wide income.

>>>> I don't know other countries' laws, but when you enter the USA (probably as a citizen or alien), they ask you how much you're bringing in and then warn that it's not illegal to bring in more than $20,000. But it's a crime not to DECLARE it. When you declare more than $10K, they probably send a CTR (Currency Transaction Report) to the IRS, which may later track it against your reported world-wide income. <<<<<

PeaceB, I believe the figure is $10,000 and not $20,000. Others here can correct me. :o:D

You can certainly bring in as much cash as you like.Taking it out is another matter.

No problem if it has been declared on the way in.

better not to declare as it may raise red flags :o

anyway, its just as easy to bring it as it is to take it out, as the say silence is golden :D

But if you get sprung, all over $US 10,000 is forfeited. Them's the rules.

You can certainly bring in as much cash as you like.Taking it out is another matter.

No problem if it has been declared on the way in.

better not to declare as it may raise red flags :o

anyway, its just as easy to bring it as it is to take it out, as the say silence is golden :D

But if you get sprung, all over $US 10,000 is forfeited. Them's the rules.

And then they will come looking for more -- a can of worms better left closed.

• 9 months later...
Kreon,

There is NO limit to how much you can bring in -- the more you bring in,  the happier THEY are -- the trouble many fellas get into is when they then, at a later date, decide they want to take most or some of these funds OUT -- without the original transfer receipt it is just plain tough! .. that's the kicker. 

Get the "incoming funds transfer" document issued to you when the funds arrive (with you or by SWIFT transfer etc.) -- guard that doc. dearly.  You can then safely, and with only a little hemming and hawing, send it all back out again when you later choose to do so.

If you declare your cash at the airport what taxes are you eligable for?

most countries is 10k, but hong kong, singapore, thailand seems to be no limit, i've taken 50k into paris, no probs, usa is a different cattle of fish

You're not related to Salvador Dali are you? :o

i thought this was the case, but as i was asked at the airport, after they checked my bag(1st time ever in 20 yrs!), why i had 50K on me, i was not so sure 

50k??? That seems a very low amount to be questioned about! I've brought in 1 million baht in cash and declared this in the red channel. Customs officers didn't bat an eyelid and just sent me on my way.

Clearly, I must look to be an outstanding member of western society :o

i thought this was the case, but as i was asked at the airport, after they checked my bag(1st time ever in 20 yrs!), why i had 50K on me, i was not so sure 

50k??? That seems a very low amount to be questioned about! I've brought in 1 million baht in cash and declared this in the red channel. Customs officers didn't bat an eyelid and just sent me on my way.

Clearly, I must look to be an outstanding member of western society :o

I assumed he meant 50K USD, but on second thoughts maybe you are right!