Korat To Chiang Mai

Komerican

Suggest you learn how to use Google maps.

All the info you need is there. Kms, Miles, times, routes.....

Have a safe drive. :o

I googled it. Give me some credit. I live in the 21st century, you know. :D

But it said it is about 800 Kms and take over 12 hours. That is why I want to know if anyone has actually drove the route.

Trouble is that Korat does not have an airport. The only fly options are to return to Bangkok and fly or to go to Buriram (airport at Satuk) which is about 130km and fly from there to Bangkok and up to Chiang Mai.

I drive to and from Buriram sometimes (Bangkok and Pattaya) and it is not an easy drive. I would not want to do both ways (about 5/6 hours each way with stops) in one day. I sure as hel_l would not want to think about the return drive a few days later !

If you are in Korat, I'd probably go to Bangkok and fly. If nearer another airport (say within 100km), go there and fly to Bangkok and up to Chiang Mai.

I've done the trip many times on several different routes although the last time was several years ago. My preferred (and fastest) route is:

H'way 205 to where it intersects with 201

Turn right on 201 and follow it just past Chaturat

Turn left on to 2170

Turn left again when you reach 225 (near Nong Bua Raheo)

Stay on 225 until you get to Nong Bua

Turn right onto H'way 11 to Chiangmai.

I'd allow 8-9 hours. Good blacktop roads all the way and Highway 11 is four lanes.

The best thing about Google Maps is their consistency. They are always wrong.

To the OP.

Do you live here ? Bangkok ?

Have you got a car ?

Reason for wanting to drive ?

How long are you intending to stay there ?

I live in Bangok and, yes, I do have a car.

I am going with my GF and her sisters and they live in Korat. And I enjoy driving, at least in the States I did.

I booked 3 nights in Chiang Mai but with all the driving I might have to stay couple of days more.

I've done the trip many times on several different routes although the last time was several years ago. My preferred (and fastest) route is:

Turn left on to 2170

I'd allow 8-9 hours. Good blacktop roads all the way and Highway 11 is four lanes.

The best thing about Google Maps is their consistency. They are always wrong.

Thanks for the direction, Boksida.

I was hoping the drive is shorter than 12 hours.

Edited by Komerican

Turn left on to 2170

Eight to nine hours is a fair time, depending on traffic and how fast you like to travel. Done the trip many times on different roads, and personally for a quick trip I head straight to Saraburi from Korat, then head north east joining the main highway at Inburi. Nakon Sawan, Kamphaeng Phet,Tak, Toen, Lampang and onto Chiangmai. I did the trip from Chiangmai to Phitsanulok the other week and would suggest you stay off highway #11 on account of the road works between Denchai and Phitsanulok. Normally a great scenic route, and will be again in a few months when they complete the new highway.

I returned to Chiangmai throught Nakon Sawan, and found the main highway quite reasonable bar the usual minor roadworks....Enjoy your trip

Turn left on to 2170

Eight to nine hours is a fair time, depending on traffic and how fast you like to travel. Done the trip many times on different roads, and personally for a quick trip I head straight to Saraburi from Korat, then head north east joining the main highway at Inburi. Nakon Sawan, Kamphaeng Phet,Tak, Toen, Lampang and onto Chiangmai. I did the trip from Chiangmai to Phitsanulok the other week and would suggest you stay off highway #11 on account of the road works between Denchai and Phitsanulok. Normally a great scenic route, and will be again in a few months when they complete the new highway.

I returned to Chiangmai throught Nakon Sawan, and found the main highway quite reasonable bar the usual minor roadworks....Enjoy your trip

Thanks for the tip, Maejo Man. I will try to avoid highway 11.

Konamerican, this is good, and recent, information from Maejo Man. You can't really go wrong on that route.

• 5 months later...

Konamerican, this is good, and recent, information from Maejo Man. You can't really go wrong on that route.

Any update on road works highway 11 shall be going early October

How far a drive is Korat to Chiang Mai?

Does anyone driven from Korat to Chiang Mai?

How was the drive if you drove?

My preference is to break the journey in Phitsanaluk, giving 2 days of 5 or 6 hour drives. The rain in the mountains can seriously affect travel times.

If you drive north on 2 as far as Khon Kaen and then head west to Phitsanaluk, the scenery is spectacular. Fill up with gas near KK. There is a stretch thro' the mountains with no gas stations for about 80k.

If you want to minimise time, go back to Sariburi and travel north on 1. The roadworks on 11 make it slow in places.

Have a safe journey.