Slain Briton's Body Recovered

george

Tragic of course for all involved, but why is it that people who "love Thailand" and spend three years travelling here not try to understand some simple dos and don'ts in Thailand?

It looks like this poor man was violently killed and put his wife's life at risk of being killed also as he reacted to the situation by being "Jai Ron". This whole problem can be seen every night in Pattaya and many die and are seriously injured for the very same reason but with less publicity.

Every one coming here should read the few lines which are told in all the tourist literature. They are true for a two week holiday as the are for a three year break. There's a reason why Thais don't do road rage.

A 17 year old accomplice deserving capital punishment might be a punishment seen by some here

to fit the crime, but i for one don't agree. The excuse for capital punishment must be that it acts as a deterrent for premeditated murder, then if that is true it must also suggest that this was not premeditated murder.

Hey Spikecm

What a saint you must be, why don't you see if you can gain custody of those three fricken monsters so you can clothe them and feed them and turn them into model citizens.

Give me a break I say execute them all and maybe the next hungry Burmese will try getting food some way other then killing for it.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Yankee Rose for the british sailor's family.

Maybe now we should not be so quick to judge the Thai Military’s treatment of refugees. Just maybe the Thai government knows a little something about the nature of what’s been breed into their neighbors over the past couple hundred years and does not wish to share in their genetic recipe. “When a person, by his reprehensible behavior, practically cries out to be destroyed, it is truly your moral obligation to indulge them their wish.” Anton Szandor LaVey ; 1976

Just maybe

breed into their neighbors over the past couple hundred years and does not wish to share in their genetic recipe

Just maybe that was one of the more hate-mongering posts of the week ...

Sounds straight out of Mein Kampf.

Edited by Jingthing

Tragic of course for all involved, but why is it that people who "love Thailand" and spend three years travelling here not try to understand some simple dos and don'ts in Thailand?

It looks like this poor man was violently killed and put his wife's life at risk of being killed also as he reacted to the situation by being "Jai Ron". This whole problem can be seen every night in Pattaya and many die and are seriously injured for the very same reason but with less publicity.

Every one coming here should read the few lines which are told in all the tourist literature. They are true for a two week holiday as the are for a three year break. There's a reason why Thais don't do road rage.

A 17 year old accomplice deserving capital punishment might be a punishment seen by some here

to fit the crime, but i for one don't agree. The excuse for capital punishment must be that it acts as a deterrent for premeditated murder, then if that is true it must also suggest that this was not premeditated murder.

Hey Spikecm

What a saint you must be, why don't you see if you can gain custody of those three fricken monsters so you can clothe them and feed them and turn them into model citizens.

Give me a break I say execute them all and maybe the next hungry Burmese will try getting food some way other then killing for it.

Trouble with executing them as an example to other Burmese is that most have no access to the media. Conversely, to say he was hot tempered towards these robbers is truely dispicable, we weren't there; anyway, anyone entering my abode would be rebuffed with aggresion. As for premeditation, arm yourself and board a vessel with intent; premeditation or what?

Slain Briton's body recovered

bull3302009-7209-1.jpg

The youngest of the three suspects grew up on

Koh Phi Phi and speaks English, Thai and Burmese

PHUKET CITY: After days of searching, the body of slain British sailor Malcolm Robertson was recovered by fisherman about 10 nautical miles north of Satun’s Lipeh Island at about 3pm today.

A source in the Marine Police said the fishermen are now bringing Mr Robertson’s remains by boat to Tu Tae Lam Pier in Satun’s La-Ngu District, where it is expected to arrive at about 7pm tonight.

Officials monitoring the case say a report on Friday that the missing man’s body had been found was incorrect – only debris from the yacht had been seen.

Three Burmese men, aged 17, 18 and 19, have said they climbed on to the Robertsons’ yacht because they were starving after fleeing to a nearby island from rough conditions on a Thai fishing vessel

For the original report, click here.

The discovery of the body diminishes the chance that the youths will be able to avoid murder charges and possible death sentences.

They claim they went two days without food and were challenged by Robertson while desperately searching his yacht for food.

The eldest of the three reportedly confessed to both Thai police and a British photographer that he killed Robertson with a hammer after a struggle, then lowered the Englishman’s body into the sea.

The man’s wife, Linda Robertson, confirmed the identity of the attackers and gave testimony in local courts on Friday.

Mrs Robertson was tied up during the ordeal, but managed to haul in the anchor and motor away to safety after the Burmese men left in a dinghy on Tuesday morning, about 10 hours after sneaking on board.

In an interview by phone, she expressed relief yesterday that the trio had been caught so swiftly by the police, whose efforts she lauded.

She said she certainly felt the youngest of the Burmese was anguished about her husband’s death, but she was not sure if the older pair were as remorseful as they said. But she felt it was "irrelevant" if they faced a murder charge or manslaughter, as “it wouldn’t bring Malcolm back”.

She and her husband left the UK 10 years ago to sail around the world, but “loved Thailand so much” they remained here for three years. On Saturday, she and the couple's four children, all in their 30s, held a service on the yacht Mr Bean to remember Malcolm.

“The family are with me, and that is a huge difference,” she said, adding that the service brought out laughter, as well as tears. “I wasn’t quite as horrified to be on the boat as I thought I’d be,” she said.

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-03-30

I absolutely don't condone this attack - but questions need to be asked about why more and more young Thai - Cambodian - Loatian and Burmese males are finding themselves - for whatever reasons - entrapped - enduring terrible conditions - against their will - on Thai fishing vessels.

It is ridiculous to blame Mr Robertson for reacting aggressively to the three Burmese who surprised him on his boat. We weren't there and we don't know exactly what happened. It doesn't seem likely that they politely asked him for food and killed him because he refused to hand any over. He was no doubt scared to find the three youths and may have overreacted but similarly they may have just attacked him immediately. Many Thais have been murdered by Burmese, often their own servants or workers, and it seems that many kill their bosses or other without hesitation to carry out a robbery even for a small amount. That is one of the problems of having a million marginalized people, who are regarded as subhuman by the local authorities, working or looking for work in Thailand. That is certainly not to say the murder was in any way justified or that Thais don't commit murders too but many Burmese are desperate and feel they have nothing to lose. Thailand's treatment of the Burmese and the appeasement of the Burmese junta by Thailand, China and India, prolonging the dreadful economic conditions there, don't help matters much.

Of course this is a very terrible incident. But first of all the Thai fishing vessel owners who treated the Burmese so badly should be blamed for this horrible story. They were the cause of the whole affair. Had they treated their workers just a bit more humanly there wouldn't have been any hi-jacking of the Britisch Yacht by the desperate young fishermen. Who will be prosecuting these mean Thai employers? My guess is, no body, as usual in Thailand.... :o

This is a very sad story which will do no good to the present situation of the Thai Tourism.

RIP

Carlos

Can we please stop all the crap about Burmese fishermen and their rights

Let's think about Mrs Robertson and her family who are going through this gruelling time in their lives.

Yeez, 10 years yhating around the world and this happems...

RIP

There is an awful amount of bitching at each other going on here and a few of the judge, jury and executioner breed about- Its fine to have an opinion of course, but lets not get too bitter folks! Its a terrible crime that's been committed and our thoughts must really go out to the friends and family of Mr Robertson, especially to his wife having to endure such a heinous act.

Rest in Peace Mr Robertson and condolences to the friends and family. Good luck for the future Mrs Robertson.

So sad. Would they be punished here in Thailand or in their country? What is the death penalty here?

Gibs

The youngest one at least is more or less thai, grew up in Thailand and speaks thai. But of course very convenient that he probably is ethnic burmese. They are genetically uncapable of being decent people, unlike the thais.

I am assuming you are saying this with tongue well placed in cheek. If not then you have for sure shown us where the gentic disorder can be found.

Very well put and I agree absolutely.

Looking at the photos of the murderers, they don’t appear to be hardened criminals, but more so as a bunch of no hoper, desperate kids.

When people are desperate, they can do desperate things, especially if they had been brutally treated and starving.

I’m sure that their employment on that ship was no QE2 cruise.

Although the Mr Bean and the kids employment ship was nearby on the same waters, they were in reality sailing in completely different worlds.

I do believe that these kids must pay for their crime and the suffering they caused to the victims of this outrage, but whether they spend many years in a hellhole prison or receive the death penalty, the fact is that this is 3 young lives destroyed.

Fate through circumstances, has ruined the lives of 5 people including it`s knock on affects to the families, but in my heart, I feel compassion for all concerned with this case.

There is an awful amount of bitching at each other going on here and a few of the judge, jury and executioner breed about- Its fine to have an opinion of course, but lets not get too bitter folks! Its a terrible crime that's been committed and our thoughts must really go out to the friends and family of Mr Robertson, especially to his wife having to endure such a heinous act.

After you have been here a while, you will realise that it is quite normal for the average punter to get home at 12:00 midnight, and go on a holier than thou rant. It doesn't mean they actually think before they post, it's just they have so little else in their lives. Just grin and bear it and welcome to the nuanced world of Thai Visa.

So sad. Would they be punished here in Thailand or in their country? What is the death penalty here?

Gibs

The youngest one at least is more or less thai, grew up in Thailand and speaks thai. But of course very convenient that he probably is ethnic burmese. They are genetically uncapable of being decent people, unlike the thais.

I am assuming you are saying this with tongue well placed in cheek. If not then you have for sure shown us where the gentic disorder can be found.

Hear hear

killing someone for food....?????

Where are we heading to with this world .....?????

May Mr Robertson RIP. Charlie

people kill for the most ridiculous reasons: two brief true stories from Wash.D.C. in 1973 (my final year as a resident there):

A. two guys in an elevator. First guy presses the button for a specific floor. Second guy says, "can you press #4 for me, brother?" First guy says, "I'm not your brother," and shoots the other guy dead.

B. Some young guys enter a house to attend a party. At the door, they brusquely pass by a young gal without allowing her to go in first. She says, half jokingly, "that's no way to treat a lady." One of the punks pulls out a pistol and shoots her dead on the spot.

Of course this is a very terrible incident. But first of all the Thai fishing vessel owners who treated the Burmese so badly should be blamed for this horrible story. They were the cause of the whole affair. Had they treated their workers just a bit more humanly there wouldn't have been any hi-jacking of the Britisch Yacht by the desperate young fishermen. Who will be prosecuting these mean Thai employers? My guess is, no body, as usual in Thailand.... :o

This is a very sad story which will do no good to the present situation of the Thai Tourism.

RIP Carlos

Not to justify Thai fishing bosses and their draconian ways, but they're not directly to blame. the 3 youngsters did the dastardly deeds. Thai fishing boats should be monitored by a responsible gov't agency (oxymoron?) and brought up to at least minimum standards of decency for the crew's (and environmental) sake. Won't happen anytime soon, though. Thai employers are masters of taking advantage of the disadvantaged, and offering as little compensation (and as little decency) as they can get away with.

In other words, if they can get workers to function for 90 baht for a 14 hour shift, they'll do it. If another group of workers says they'll do the same for 80 baht a day, they'll chuck the earlier guys in a minute.

Edited by brahmburgers

To quote toret

I assume you have an education in genetics? if not how else could you come to that conclusion, Other than be a bigotted small minded person.

myanmar is full of good people who circumstances force them to deviant from the good. I think very much same deprived areas in the uk or any other country, Right or wrong?

RIP Mr robertson I am sure your god goes with you.

To quote toret

I assume you have an education in genetics? if not how else could you come to that conclusion, Other than be a bigotted small minded person.

myanmar is full of good people who circumstances force them to deviant from the good. I think very much same deprived areas in the uk or any other country, Right or wrong?

RIP Mr robertson I am sure your god goes with you.

By the way that should have spelt incapable not uncapable. At least if English is your native language then learn to spell correctly.

are you for real. the accomplice could have tried to stop the hammer man but did not as such he is just as guilty..... [snip]

'SPIKECM'

There's a reason why the Thais DONT do rage rage?

Are you being ironic?

My sincere sympathy with Mrs. Robertson!

Being a sailor myself, I would be interested how the criminals managed to board and take controll. Sharing this information can maybe save another one's life and Mr. Robertson's death would not have been completely in vain.

What a ridiculous statement to make!

I'm sure if three unknown menacing disheveled youths boarded your yacht and threatened your safety, you would behave in a similar manner to protect yourself and possibly your wife. This poor unfortunate couple were enjoying the twilight years of their retirement and from what I understand had sold up to travel the world. They no doubt had most of their worldly possessions on the yacht and I'm sure they wouldn't be alone in protecting what they hold dearest. You do not know what happened on that yacht, so statements like he was "Jai Ron" are totally uncalled for, or are you just showing of the full extent of your Thai vocabulary?

You sound like one of these do gooders in the UK who would rather send these unmerciful evil youths on a five star holiday to help them get through their trauma, rather than letting them face the music to the full extent of the law. I for one think that the authorities should come down on them as hard as possible and give the maximum penalty, if that means death than so be it.

With the world economy the way it is and the lagging tourist numbers, publicity like this does Thailand no favours whatsoever. Criminals should be shown that crimes against foreigners will not be tolerated and dealt with severely. From what I see crime in Thailand will reach epidemic proportions due to industrial and tourism staff layoffs and poor economy, anyone thinking about stealing gold or money to buy food, drugs or alchohol should think again, because stealing can go wrong and people get hurt or worse as we've seen from this terrible story.