Expats Id Cards

Last year it was announced by the Immigration that Long Stays and Expats should be issued/could apply for a Thai plastic card (ID card) with all their details.

This should (according to the Immigration) ease the immigration procedures when leaving /re-entering Thailand.

Has anybody got one of these cards, or does anybody know anybody who has got one??

I too recall some anouncement about such a scheme awhile back...alas...have heard nothing more since :o

This is one area where even the Philippines is ahead of Thailand...with their program for long-term expatriate and retiree residents and their official photo ID cards (ACR cards I think they're called). It's a pretty shameful position to be in by the way.

This is one area where even the Philippines is ahead of Thailand...with their program for long-term expatriate and retiree residents and their official photo ID cards (ACR cards I think they're called). It's a pretty shameful position to be in by the way.

Retirees are welcome in the Philippines. Retirees are tolerated in Thailand. There is a big difference between the two.

Notariousus

Yes ..... Where did you read/see this announcement??

mr newbie .

Please enlighten us.

im waiting with baited breath for your source of this ( load off #rap ) info !

dave2

You should not come off so angry, it just makes you look that much worse when you find out it was an official announcement and it was featured on this site....

I renewed my Thai Longstay Card for a third year to give me fast track service going in and out of the country at the airports. It's a crazy system but it works but the lowest level card is now Bt12,000. It's an Thai Elite Card for the poor.

The plan to introduce the Expat ID card died with the last government.

Notariousus

Yes ..... Where did you read/see this announcement??

mr newbie .

Please enlighten us.

im waiting with baited breath for your source of this ( load off #rap ) info !

dave2

It was published in the Phuket Gazette.

On 2 October 2008 Phuket Gazette writes:

http://' target="_blank">Thursday, October 2, 2008

'Immigration Cards' coming by year end

BANGKOK (TNA): A new immigration card will be introduced for Thais and foreigners who frequently enter and leave Thailand, the state-run Thai News Agency (TNA) has reported.

The agency quoted Immigration Police chief Pol Lt Gen Chatchawan Suksomchit as saying holders of the “Immigration Card” will include those who travel in and out of the country three to five times a year, regardless of their nationality.

Immigration Card holders will bypass some Immigration procedures such as being screened for being a criminal suspect or being on a police or immigration watch list.

The Immigration Card is part of the efforts to promote tourism and investment in Thailand, TNA reported.

Meanwhile, Immigration Police will open a 1178 call center early next year to provide tourism-related information in eight languages.

In addition, Immigration Police will take part in the nationwide crackdown on the exploitation of foreign labor and the flesh trade throughout the country, Lt Gen Chatchawan was quoted as saying.

The report set off a frenzy of speculation and commentary on web forums, where many people posted comments such as “I’ll believe it when I see it”. Others called for more details – such as how much the card would cost and what the procedures might be to obtain one.