Dozens Left To Die On Streets In Hit-and-run Accidents

george

HIT AND RUN

Dozens left to die on streets

BANGKOK: -- Eighty-one people have been killed in hit-and-run accidents on Thailand's roads over the past 90 days with most occurring in and around Bangkok, "FM 91 Traffic Pro" radio station revealed yesterday.

Police investigators, victims' relatives and members of public have been contacting the radio station via freecall numbers (02 5620033/4 and 02 9410847/50) in a bid to find people who witnessed hitandrun accidents, station executive Jaiton Sriwangpol said.

There were 23 such deaths in January, 30 deaths in February and 28 in March. Most of the accidents - 62 - took place at night (between 6pm and 6am), while 19 others occurred in daytime (between 6am and 6pm), she said.

Bangkok had the most hitandrun accidents with 34, followed by Samut Prakan with 15, Pathum Thani with 12, Nonthaburi with six and Ayutthaya (three), she said.

Nakhon Pathom and Samut Sakhon each had three such deaths, while there were others in Sing Buri, Saraburi, Nakhon Nayok, Chachoengsao and Tak, she added.

The law has required all vehicles to have accident insurance according to the Protection for Motor Vehicle Accident Victims Act 1992, she said but the report indicated that more than 80 motorists in the past 90 days acted more like coldblood murderers to run away after the accidents, leaving the victims to die in the streets.

In related news, the National Electronics and Computer Technology Center (NECTEC) yesterday gave 190 alcohol breath testing devices to police in support to the force's antidrunk driving policy.

In cooperation with Johnnie Walker whiskey distributor Diageo Moet Hennessy (Thailand) Ltd, NECTEC had produced more efficient devices and gave police the 190 portable devices in roadaccidentpreventing mission especially during the Songkran Holidays, said Acting Highway Police Commander Police Colonel Somyos Phromnim.

NECTEC director Pansak Siriruchatapong said that the devices were easy to use and could yield the result only in five second. If a driver has a Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) beyond the legal limit of 50 mg percent, the device would set off the alarm sound with blinking red light on screen, he said. This Thai innovation with each device cost Bt8,000 could save the country from importing similar products, he added.

-- The Nation 2009-04-02

Indeed it sounds terrible that drivers run away from accidents. After you realize how the law works then you can better understand why this happens. Drunken motorcycle drivers, no helmets, no lights and driving on the wrong side of the road is normal behavior. If a car or truck hits him it is the car or trucks fault.

I once had a Thai do a doggy dart out in front of me. She never looked and I had no way of missing her. Fortunately she wasn't badly hurt but I made the mistake of stopping. That stop got my car impounded and eventually cost me 10,000 baht even though I had first class insurance. Impound my car, WHY? That's why people hit and run.

I once came upon a guy who had been hit by a car in BKK. I swerved and missed hitting him again, but the car behind me ran right over him and sped off. I stopped, but my Thai friend told me to get out of there quickly. He said there is no way you won't get held responsible for the accident. It was clear the guy was dead so, sadly, I left.

it is a shame that so many hit and runs happen but as Gary A. points out its the underlying laws or the polices interpertation of the law that is the root cause to this problem....

This won't change until they change the underlying issue... and I would not hold my breath...

Killing somebody ensures you pay compensation,not killing them COULD lead to weeks and weeks of surgery,recovery,thats why many this actualy hit someone then reverse to make a bwetter job of it.

BUDDHIST

you ARE having a laugh arent you???

this has got to stop and public have a massive role to play to name and shame these excuses for a human being.The government and higher have got a huge role to play also,as tourism is affected tremendously,so what do they do,have a frigging Pattaya music festival.All that does is bring the gangs in to play at cops and robbers and The Godfather of Chonburi to be copied.

I love living here but it is still a third world country when there is no respect for life.

The law has required all vehicles to have accident insurance according to the Protection for Motor Vehicle Accident Victims Act 1992, she said but the report indicated that more than 80 motorists in the past 90 days acted more like coldblood murderers to run away after the accidents, leaving the victims to die in the streets.

YES YES YES. And until they are caught and given a life sentence for murder, they will continue to flee like the immoral cowards they are!

I have often wondered at the massive turmoil that would result if I hit a motorcycle carrying a family of four with children coming the wrong way towards me. It would be catastrophic all round. The pain and suffering for them and the stress of having to deal with potentially killing a child, together with legal strife and the costs. I have had to swerve to avoid a scooter carrying several people and a tiny child at the front so many times. And it would all be through no fault of your own, but you would probably have to foot the bill and suffer the stress. This must have happened to people and could easily happen to me. Terrible.

Richb2004v2 I often wonder that as well.

At least 3 times a week a motor bike switches lanes right in front of me with out looking, and I have to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting them...

The sad thing is that if I hit them I would be the one paying, when in fact it was their fault.

A friend of mine was driving down a main road (in front of a small tesco lotus) when a motor bike whipped out of the tesco parking lot and slammed straight into the side of my friends car... This clearly was the motor bikes fault, when the police came you know whos fault they determined it was?.... You guessed it the "rich" farang was considered to be at fault...

So while its wrong to run and I personally would not, I understand why so many do...

The one thing I don't understand is why the Thai drivers run? Is it because they are drunk or no insuranse, or do the cops always side with motor bikes even when a fellow Thai is driving the car?

Cost a friend of mine 500,000 baht for accidently running over a thai girl when a truck came from a side road and smacked her off a bike,totaly is fault but a friend killed her when he drove over her in the road.The truck sped away and he got the police blame him even though he had witnesses.He suffered major trauma also as he met the family.

So while its wrong to run and I personally would not, I understand why so many do...

The one thing I don't understand is why the Thai drivers run? Is it because they are drunk or no insuranse, or do the cops always side with motor bikes even when a fellow Thai is driving the car?

Some(many)are drunk;many others don't have even the compulsory insurance or a DL,others don't trust the lottery.Oh,I did mean the Law!

As a farang,guilty by definition,I find morally injustifiable to run,but,if possible,financially and emotionally rewarding! :o

Tragedies but an often occurence in the Kingdom. I for one am hoping for a slow accident/death rate over the Songkhran Holiday period, the saftey words/warnings are out all over the land of smiles, will the rank and file get the messages and reduce the speed, no drinking and driving, I hope so but my GUT feeling is it will a busy a deadly holiday period on the roads of Thailand. Best of luck to all stay safe. :o

Edited by BigSnake

Insurance makes no difference. I had first class insurance. My car was impounded by the police and they wouldn't release it until I settled with the woman. The insurance company said it wasn't their problem. Three days and 10,000 baht later, I got my car back. The 10,000 baht wasn't for the hospital bill or any other damage. It was for her suffering and her loss of pay.

I used to drive on a regular basis here. Owned several cars. Drove the length and breadth of the country at one time or another.

I now hire a Thai driver and own a VIP minivan.

Can't be bothered with the childish, irresponsible and dishonest nonsense that goes on on Thai roads.

Insurance makes no difference. I had first class insurance. My car was impounded by the police and they wouldn't release it until I settled with the woman. The insurance company said it wasn't their problem. Three days and 10,000 baht later, I got my car back. The 10,000 baht wasn't for the hospital bill or any other damage. It was for her suffering and her loss of pay.

She probably got 2,000 Baht, and the Bib kept the rest :o

Getting hit and run is my single greatest fear living here in Bangkok. Even trying to get home walking down my Soi I constantly have near death experiences with one of the innumerable Toyota Vans carting around people and of which have tremendous blind spots that I'm sure few drivers bother to check. There have been at least ten times where I had to jump out of the way to avoid getting hit. There is no dam_n sidewalk and people are always double parking making the narrow soi a death trap. The roads, the drivers, the enforcement of law all are a tremendous joke here in Thailand.

Cost a friend of mine 500,000 baht for accidently running over a thai girl when a truck came from a side road and smacked her off a bike,totaly is fault but a friend killed her when he drove over her in the road.The truck sped away and he got the police blame him even though he had witnesses.He suffered major trauma also as he met the family.

Thats exactly the kind of thing I worry about. No matter how you try to drive safely and stay alert you can never anticipate the irrational things that happen on the Thai roads.

Jeez, I ride a bicycle, and have about one near-miss a week, usually with a college student who just whips a corner without even checking. Even tho my bike is wimpy (just a cheepo one-speed from the market area) I still shudder to think of what it could cost me to be hit...

Indeed it sounds terrible that drivers run away from accidents. After you realize how the law works then you can better understand why this happens. Drunken motorcycle drivers, no helmets, no lights and driving on the wrong side of the road is normal behavior. If a car or truck hits him it is the car or trucks fault.

I once had a Thai do a doggy dart out in front of me. She never looked and I had no way of missing her. Fortunately she wasn't badly hurt but I made the mistake of stopping. That stop got my car impounded and eventually cost me 10,000 baht even though I had first class insurance. Impound my car, WHY? That's why people hit and run.

hands up guilty, i did this no helmet, drinking thing 4 years ago....i learnt a lesson the hard way. Now i have license, insurance, helmet and NEVER drink and drive. I also get rather angry at cars that drive at ridiculous speeds, dont look where they are going and don't indicate, bike drivers that are obviously drunk or driving like pratts or drivers that are just plain oblivious.... i am not a hypocrite, i learnt my lesson and flash/ beep/shout if someone is behaving badly(but in as polite a way as possible lol) and try and point out if possible they have forgotten to indicate, have stand down, indicator left flashing etc...... All this death is so unneccessary. i hope they take my signals in the intention it is meant...that to be aware and careful and safe!

The law is designed to always find the driver guilty, no matter what, and one could end up doing a lot of time and/or paying out a huge wad of compensation.

So, nobody wants to stop, would you?

'The Farang driver' if possible

Yes, if possible, but this also happens to Thais when only Thais are involved. The richer party in an accident is assessed, and assigned responsibility for compensating the injured (or the family of the deceased). Until Thai law enforcement changes this extremely unjust policy of arbitrarily punishing the richer person regardless of their guilt or innocence, this problem of hit-and-run accidents will continue, and lives will continue to be needlessly destroyed.

Many lives could be saved if the system were set up to encourage people to do the right thing and report accidents when they occur, rather than flee the scene to avoid potentially unjust prosecution. This would also discourage irresponsible behavior, since perpetrators would be held responsible for the consequences of their actions. The way I see it, the responsibility for this lies squarely in the hands of the police and court system. Nothing new here.

Edited by oevna

Perhaps folk here are missing the point concerning accidents and their aftermath although at least one poster seems to have got to the nub of it.

In any accident it is inevitable that one participant will be richer than the other. The police ensure that the poorer party receives compensation, regardless of the fault or culpability. In return for this outcome the police extract a share of the payoff. This dividend is as much a perquisite as their take from traffic fines. It is a source of income, nothing more nothing less. Farang involvement naturally results in a bigger take for obvious reasons but racism and nationalism are not necessarily a factor. The increased profit is what matters.

This practice will only cease when the police force is modernised and changed from its original function, that of providing border security and the suppression of dissidents, to one of a more conventional role such as upholding the rule of law.

Of course pigs will fly before that happens.

I must say that it is often perpetuating a myth that the "rich foreigner" pays in an accident where he or she is not at fault. Something along the lines of "I was stopped by the police for no reason and had to pay them 200 baht." One expat I know says this happens to him every time he's stopped. He must just be unlucky or a bullshitter because I've been driving here for over 15 years, been stopped countless times and never paid a single baht.

A couple of years ago a guy on a motorcycle coming the other way at speed swerved to avoid a dog, fell off and I ran straight over him. Luckily he just had to spend a couple of nights in hospital. Although I speak Thai I called my wife and she came down to the scene just as the police arrived so she could translate exactly what I said without misinterpretation. They checked my license and insurance, wrote a report, took my details and left. All very polite and above board. I've never heard anything since. No reporting to the police station. Nothing.

My Thai brother in law killed a drunk guy who came straight across a junction at night without slowing. The police breathalysed my brother in law, impounded his car and he had to report to the police station the next day to give a statement. The deceased's family came down demanding compensation. Not a chance. The police informed them that unfortunately their relative was at fault.

I'm not saying that these "innocent people having to pay" situations don't happen. I can only talk from personal experience.

I must say that it is often perpetuating a myth that the "rich foreigner" pays in an accident where he or she is not at fault. Something along the lines of "I was stopped by the police for no reason and had to pay them 200 baht." One expat I know says this happens to him every time he's stopped. He must just be unlucky or a bullshitter because I've been driving here for over 15 years, been stopped countless times and never paid a single baht.

I'm not saying that these "innocent people having to pay" situations don't happen. I can only talk from personal experience.

Wow! I find this very hard to believe. I've been hit up by the cops as they stood at an awkward lane change point near the Bangkok work permit office. When I refused to pay the fine for their 'creative' offence. They told me that it was little money for me but a lot for them and that I should pay them because they think I should and so on...

I did have a touching moment when I was going around the roundabout on the new road out of Bangkok which runs on the other side of the river starting at Thaksin Bridge. This big merc drove out of one of the approaches straight into the traffic stream with out looking right. Of course she slammed into the side of my pick-up truck with a hel_l of a smash. I pulled off the roundabout onto my exit and pulled over to the side of the road. The merc was in the middle of the road with most of its front end on the tamac. I walked around to the passenger side to check the damage to my Toyota Tiger - not a scratch! Couldn't believe it!. She must have connected with the running board along the side of my truck!! Thank you God!! I got right back behind the wheel and took off quick smart. I knew who would get stuffed with the bill over this and it wouldn't be the trophy wife/mia noi who was tottering at a run on her high heels towards me. Indeed, the sight of her desperation in my rear view mirror as I continued on with my journey bought a tear to my eye and is a moment I will treasure for as long as my alzyma's is held at bay!

Wow! I find this very hard to believe.

It's the plain and simple truth bungy. I've got no reason to b/s. It'd be more of an interesting story if I said "I was doing nothing wrong but the cops told me they were hungry and it was lunchtime so I donated to the cause" but that simply hasn't been the case. I've always been driving within the speed limit and obeying the traffic laws when waved over by the police. This has resulted in either a simple "move along" gesture when I put the window down by a cop who looked bored to tears or a cursory glance at my driving license and a "Where are you going?" question. The closest I've been to a reprimand was one cop told me not to drive in the right lane because it was for overtaking only and another, ( after much brain racking and much to the merriment of me and his fellow officers) said, in English, "You too quick OK!"

Got to speak as I find. :o

Edited by minimart

I got hit by a runner last year. I came out of a big moobahn, saw the coast was clear, and crossed the road to get in the motosai lane. BAMM she hits me from behind, shoves me and the bike off the road, and drives away. As far as she knew, I was dead. Next morning she repented and turned herself in. The police impounded both vehicles for about a month. We each paid about 1K to the police and then she paid a huge sum - 10K baht or more - to the police, because she hit and ran. We both had license and insurance. Police decided I was at fault for crossing the highway, but refused to believe she was running without lights. We each paid our own damages.

A friend of mine hit a girl a year or two ago. Not my friend's fault. Had a court case. I believe she won.

I think another reason they run is because of the possible on-the-spot repercussions - ie, getting the <deleted> beaten out of them.

Personally, as with the lady who hit PB, I don't think I'd be able to overcome the guilt if I did run, even if it weren't my fault.

A couple of years ago a guy on a motorcycle coming the other way at speed swerved to avoid a dog, fell off and I ran straight over him. Luckily he just had to spend a couple of nights in hospital. Although I speak Thai I called my wife and she came down to the scene just as the police arrived so she could translate exactly what I said without misinterpretation. They checked my license and insurance, wrote a report, took my details and left. All very polite and above board. I've never heard anything since. No reporting to the police station. Nothing.

My Thai brother in law killed a drunk guy who came straight across a junction at night without slowing. The police breathalysed my brother in law, impounded his car and he had to report to the police station the next day to give a statement. The deceased's family came down demanding compensation. Not a chance. The police informed them that unfortunately their relative was at fault.

the part highlighted in red says it all: you spoke Thai and, most important of all, your Thai wife came on the scene and likely said all the most polite and important things needed to be said at that moment. It's doubtful she neglected to mention what an important guy you are, and the important VIP Thais you'all are chummy with. It simply reinforces what we know about Thailand already: Whether someone gets penalized by cops, has nothing to do with what's right and what's wrong, and have everything to do how you present your social strata, and who you know .....oh, and a some tea money offered in the accepted manner. As long as this is how the legal system continues to function in Thailand, innocent people will continue to face the possibility of dire consequences - and completely guilty people will continue to get off the hook.

It's not about what's right or what's wrong or adhering to the rules, it's how the game is played.

Thais know how the game is played, that's part of the reason why they often hit and run (plus, they're irresponsible). Some farang are inclined to run from the scene of a crime also, because doing 'the responsible thing' might unfairly cost them dearly in money and other ways - as mentioned in this thread.

A relatively small item, in comparison, but I got pulled over by a C.Mai cop. He was sorely disappointed to see I had my seat belt on. However, he didn't miss a beat in threatening to haul me and my g.f. to the station because she was not wearing hers in the passenger seat. Now, I ask you, how often does a passenger in Thailand wear a seat belt? Perhaps one in 1,000, or one in 10,000? Well, we couldn't try to speak reason with the cop, because the g.f. was Akha hill tribe from C.Rai, and didn't have formal permission to be in Chiang Mai (didn't matter that 3 generations of her ancestors were born and resided in Thailand). So I paid the Bt.400 (which the cop put in his upper pocket with a grin) and we went on our way. Yet another reason (for me) to avoid C.Mai.

the part highlighted in red says it all: you spoke Thai and, most important of all, your Thai wife came on the scene and likely said all the most polite and important things needed to be said at that moment. It's doubtful she neglected to mention what an important guy you are, and the important VIP Thais you'all are chummy with.

Can't say I know any Thai who's puu yai could help me out of a bind. I once saw the governor of Khon Kaen sitting at the traffic lights in his car but he didn't see me. Oh, and I went to the dentist last year. Could he help me out? Does that count? I guess the reason I spoke Thai is having made the effort to learn the language after living here a fair number of years. I guess the reason I called my wife was to ensure nothing was lost in translation. I guess the reason why nothing happened was it was a clear case of the fault of the other party. I guess the reason you made such a moronic statement knowing nothing about me, my wife or witnessing the situation is, well, the simple fact that you're a moron.

Go on. Get your 200 baht out and pay "Da Man" when you've done nothing wrong. It'll give you something to tell your fellow bar-propping Thai experts the next time you're having a drink with them.

:o