Death Wish In Thailand

Last week i made by first visit to Surin by car. The single lane parts of Route 24 made me cringe with some of the crazy overtaking going on ! At one point a police pick-up was undertaking trucks on the verge. Driving through vehicle check-points managed to avoid any contact with the boys in brown, but the general attitude to over-taking gave me a few more grey hairs !

A couple of weeks ago we drove to Bangkok to pick up some birds of the feathered variety,I have to admit to driving at a fairly fast speed where appropiate but why oh why do thai drivers insist on driving in the outside lane when theres no traffic in front for miles and if they do move over to let you pass then you look in the mirror and they have moved straight back into the outside lane again, hence most drivers seem to under take all of the time, such a dangerous manouvre.

A couple of weeks ago we drove to Bangkok to pick up some birds of the feathered variety,I have to admit to driving at a fairly fast speed where appropiate but why oh why do thai drivers insist on driving in the outside lane when theres no traffic in front for miles and if they do move over to let you pass then you look in the mirror and they have moved straight back into the outside lane again, hence most drivers seem to under take all of the time, such a dangerous manouvre.

Hi

Whilst stupid,dangerous and Illegal here, its done to avoid the potholes usually.

Asianrider

Hope you enjoyed Sulin and after more Asian riding you will see that this standard of driving is widespread throughout Thailand.

Dave

Sad to say what you saw was the NORM in the land of smiles, I like many just have to deal with it the best we know how. It also make me nutty/PO, but I have learn just to lookout for the nutty :o:D drivers and give the fools the ride of way :D you could as I'm sure some have report it to the police, but unless they are on the scene not very much they can or will do about. I seen many police check point during the day to get red light jumper, bad parking, etc, however much of this bad driving take place at night, I have also seen one or two policemen in there favorite spot waiting for speeder, light jumper, no helmet, but these one or two cops are smart they never do this at night, do you wonder WHY!!

Sad to say what you saw was the NORM in the land of smiles, I like many just have to deal with it the best we know how. It also make me nutty/PO, but I have learn just to lookout for the nutty :o:D drivers and give the fools the ride of way :D you could as I'm sure some have report it to the police, but unless they are on the scene not very much they can or will do about. I seen many police check point during the day to get red light jumper, bad parking, etc, however much of this bad driving take place at night, I have also seen one or two policemen in there favorite spot waiting for speeder, light jumper, no helmet, but these one or two cops are smart they never do this at night, do you wonder WHY!!

Mmmmm, never thought of that. I know in the States, the biggest killer of cops is domestic violence calls; the second biggest is traffic stops. No one can accuse our BIB of being stupid!