Why Does Such A Rubbish Airport Need Its Own Forum?

Ive just returned from Singapore

What a delightful airport Chengi is compared with BKK.

Singapore:

Delightful check-in staff, easy and quick - no problems checking in early

Departures Area - Loads of shops selling electronics at VERY reasonable prices (bought a Mac Book Pro), plent of english language book shops, newsagents, FREE internet gaming place with PC games, free TV lounge, Massage for $30, Somewhere to sleep for 3 hours and have a shower for $30, loads of restaurants, SUNBEDS at the departure gate - great for long haul transfer passengers. Loads of plants and flowers growing all over the place - giving the whole airport a "fresh feeling",

Building: - Nice carpeted building, no long walks to departure gates (spread over several terminals with interconnecting skytrain). NIce music playing in the background.

Other Things: FREE TOUR of Singapore for transfer passengers with 2 hours to kill. Free Wi-fi

Bkk:

Rude check-in staff (Thai singapore Airways Staff) who directed me to a ticket office on 5th floor that didnt actually exist!

Departure Area - When you go through immigration you are confronted by a large gold Naga Dragon - but no signs (left or right) indicating which way the gate is - so you have to guess walk either left or right and then you will see the sign which will let you know if you went the right way or not - i asked an airport staff lady who didnt know where my gate was (she seemed to point in the air).

Shopping in Departure Area - A bunch of up market suit and clothes shops with very few customers, but I didnt find any book shops, magazines, newsagent, fast food, somewhere to get some sandalls, somewhere comfortable to sit down, nowhere to watch TV, a VERY long walk to the departure gate, couldnt use the Internet anwhere the pay treminals were not working - didnt see any wifi spots etc. Horrible metal chairs, no airport hotel or place to sleep.

Building: - Massive waste of vertical space, must cost a fortune to aircondition especially considering the whole airport is made of GLASS in a hot tropical country.

Arrivals Area: - To many fake taxi trivers hastling tourists, they shout (or whistle at you like a dog) and tell you that they are a proper taxi driver when they are not (could be dangerous getting into their car!) Gives a very bad impression of Thailand when your first experience when you are pounced on by these cowboys.

OTHER THINGS" - When leaving the esculator there is an announcement which says "Beware of the WAR" (obviously meant to say Mind the WALK way) - its repeated thousands of times a day - nobody seems to have spotted it.

I havent mentioned the "broken runway", mobs of communists hijacking the airport, rude people running the shops ( i politely asked to change a 500 note and a woman pactically threw the change at me).

Is it me or is Thailand no longer the land of smiles (now its only Amazing Thailand).

I have been out of the country for the past 6 months and have really noticed a change in attiduted of Bangkok people.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it me or is Thailand no longer the land of smiles (now its only Amazing Thailand).

I have been out of the country for the past 6 months and have really noticed a change in attiduted of Bangkok people.

Well, you know what you can do if you don't like it............#$%@ off home!!

agreed with thecatman, you can't even spell Changi correctly. go home!

thanks for the info about the 'fake taxi drivers' im sure nobody in this forum would have known about that before your informative post, not!

Edited by ozfarang81

My favourite dumb comment.

Unintentionally, it actually means: "Do not complain, if you don't like shit, go home and leave the pigs who do to roll in it and enjoy."

Singapore:

......................Free Wi-fi

Changi is, of course, one of the best if not the very best airport on the planet.

The WiFi is not free. Free are those flat screen terminals that let you have a 15 minutes Internet session before you have to login again.

To enjoy "Free WiFi" you have to register and they send you SMS message with your password to your mobile. That's where they make money: that message is sent through international roaming and they charge you for it. Not a big money for individuals but nice hefty sum for the provider of the "Free WiFi".

Singapore:

Departures Area - Loads of shops selling electronics at VERY reasonable prices (bought a Mac Book Pro), plent of english language book shops, newsagents, FREE internet gaming place with PC games, free TV lounge, Massage for $30, Somewhere to sleep for 3 hours and have a shower for $30, loads of restaurants, SUNBEDS at the departure gate - great for long haul transfer passengers. Loads of plants and flowers growing all over the place - giving the whole airport a "fresh feeling",

Building: - Nice carpeted building, no long walks to departure gates (spread over several terminals with interconnecting skytrain). NIce music playing in the background.

Other Things: FREE TOUR of Singapore for transfer passengers with 2 hours to kill. Free Wi-fi

Bkk:

Rude check-in staff (Thai singapore Airways Staff) who directed me to a ticket office on 5th floor that didnt actually exist!

Departure Area - When you go through immigration you are confronted by a large gold Naga Dragon - but no signs (left or right) indicating which way the gate is - so you have to guess walk either left or right and then you will see the sign which will let you know if you went the right way or not - i asked an airport staff lady who didnt know where my gate was (she seemed to point in the air).

Shopping in Departure Area - A bunch of up market suit and clothes shops with very few customers, but I didnt find any book shops, magazines, newsagent, fast food, somewhere to get some sandalls, somewhere comfortable to sit down, nowhere to watch TV, a VERY long walk to the departure gate, couldnt use the Internet anwhere the pay treminals were not working - didnt see any wifi spots etc. Horrible metal chairs, no airport hotel or place to sleep.

Building: - Massive waste of vertical space, must cost a fortune to aircondition especially considering the whole airport is made of GLASS in a hot tropical country.

Arrivals Area: - To many fake taxi trivers hastling tourists, they shout (or whistle at you like a dog) and tell you that they are a proper taxi driver when they are not (could be dangerous getting into their car!) Gives a very bad impression of Thailand when your first experience when you are pounced on by these cowboys.

OTHER THINGS" - When leaving the esculator there is an announcement which says "Beware of the WAR" (obviously meant to say Mind the WALK way) - its repeated thousands of times a day - nobody seems to have spotted it.

I havent mentioned the "broken runway", mobs of communists hijacking the airport, rude people running the shops ( i politely asked to change a 500 note and a woman pactically threw the change at me).

Actually it says " Beware of the end of the rug"

Sure there is lots to complain about @ BKK, but the part on the hotels is way off. I have stayed at the SIN transit hotel. It is shabby, without windows, smelly and feels like a prison cell. I regularly use the Novotel at BKK and it's one of the better airport hotel experiences with the exception of the Hong Kong Airport Regent. Have you even stayed at the airport hotels?

The OP is exactly right. How come you are allowed to use such disgusting abuse. It is obvious you are saying f-ck of home. Do you really think that the stupid ignorant attitude of the Thai immigration is a good thing and should just go unchalenged. Can you offer a reason - othere than psychosis - for this attitude.

Edited by deprogrammed

My favourite dumb comment.

Unintentionally, it actually means: "Do not complain, if you don't like shit, go home and leave the pigs who do to roll in it and enjoy."

Well, I didn't feel the post warranted any better a reply, but if you like I'll bite now.

Firstly, it's an airport, it's there to get people from A to B and, barring protests, it carries out it's purpose adequately.

When I go to an airport, generally I go there to catch a flight, not to shop, eat, have a massage, sleep, shower, or play PC games. Like I've already mentioned, it's a airport, not a hotel or a shopping mall, but an airport.

The OP claims he couldn't find a fast food outlet or anywhere selling books or Magazines at BKK airport.....<deleted>!! I think even his strongest backer would have to admit these are crazy and false claims.

I could go on.

Also, Singapore airport is in many peoples opinion the best in the world. Fair play to them for that, nice job and all that.

If you compare BKK airport to pretty much any other airport then I don't really think you'll find there's too much between them, I've been to alot that are slightly better than BKK and alot that are slightly worse, but at the end of the day I've alway got to where I wanted to go, which is why I went there in the first place.

Edited by thecatman

Singapore:

The WiFi is not free. Free are those flat screen terminals that let you have a 15 minutes Internet session before you have to login again.

To enjoy "Free WiFi" you have to register and they send you SMS message with your password to your mobile. That's where they make money: that message is sent through international roaming and they charge you for it. Not a big money for individuals but nice hefty sum for the provider of the "Free WiFi".

For anyone who wants free wi-fi in Singapore, not just at the airport but in thousands of locations across the island you can register ahead of time from your home country over the internet. You receive an SMS with your password on your local mobile number at no cost to you in seconds. There are 3 companies you can register with but for those outside of Singapore this one is the simplest. You need to have your passport details handy.

http://login.icellwireless.net/regterms.html

CrossBones, the lady pointing in the air was probably pointing at the overhead signs with the gate numbers listed...

As for fast food places, there's Burger King, Coffee World and many others all grouped together in mini foodcourt style at both ends of the terminal, not far from the security check. Most people seem to find them okay as they're usually very busy.

Edited by jeffer

The OP is exactly right. How come you are allowed to use such disgusting abuse. It is obvious you are saying f-ck of home. Do you really think that the stupid ignorant attitude of the Thai immigration is a good thing and should just go unchalenged. Can you offer a reason - othere than psychosis - for this attitude.

Not really. Could be b*gger, p*ss, nick, rack, sod, <deleted> etc..

Singapore:

Changi is, of course, one of the best if not the very best airport on the planet.

I have found unsecured WiFi at Swampy.

AOT does not supply it.

There is a ridiclously priced internet service on the dep level.

Only really freebie WiFi I have found supplied by the airport authorities is at KLIA and KL_LCC.

Lotsa power points too, Malaysian plug needed.

There are fully functioning free computers at Auckland Int Airport.

They are supplied by Sanyo or Samsung, forget which, used them so often too..... Alzheimers is getting at me.

WiFi is at AIA as well, costs 12 dollars an hour last time I did NOT use it.

Edit, nearly forgot, Swampy is a great airport, not a rabbit warren like so many.

Brilliant simple open plan, easy to get anywhere.

Only complaint is marathon walks to gates.

Edited by Zpete

For anyone who wants free wi-fi in Singapore, not just at the airport but in thousands of locations across the island you can register ahead of time from your home country over the internet. You receive an SMS with your password on your local mobile number at no cost to you in seconds. There are 3 companies you can register with but for those outside of Singapore this one is the simplest. You need to have your passport details handy.

How does it really work?

Most of locals would already have WiFi.

Those with international roaming, to receive an SMS, it must go through that system and the WiFi providers are not to pay for sending you a message. You will pay.

If only 10 million people a year (out of 40 mil passengers) register for WiFi while at Changi, even if the SMS charge is 1 cent, makes up a nice money. Why are all those personal details needed? Could be they data mine them and sell the results to someone.

7 years ago, when I had a private mobile and wanted roaming for Singapore, the operator in Australia advised I should switch off the SMS capability as each SMS would cost me 1$.

That's probably where they get their money for "free WiFi".

If not, why don't they allow you to use a free terminal and get your password via email to yahoo, msn or google? Or any other email address you might have? Or get it before even going to Singapore via email?

Singapore:

Bkk:

:o

The airport store was designed for tourist shopping, the idea of formr PM Thaksin (also known as Tax Sin). It does not intend to provide a "service" to airport passengers, it is intended to simply sell a lot of overpriced (my humble opinion) goods to tourists at rip off prices. They don't want you buying an English magazine, you should buy perfume or designer clothes.

Back when the airport was nearly finished, one of the airport officials was asked why there were so few seats for passengers and family in the departure/check-in area. His commnt was, "We don't want them to sit down and wait. We want them in the stores buying things." That comment illustrates the whole idea of the airport at the time, and how it was built. It was simply designed as a place to pick up as much money from foriegn tourists leaving Thailand as it could before they left.

Your absolutely right that Changi has "airport services" for passengers that are far superior to Swampy.

That's because their reasons for existence are different.

You have to remember also that Bangkok is not Singapore, and does not wish to be. Singapore is for working, Bangkok is for fun. (I had a Thai man working in Singapore tell me that several years ago).

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

How does it really work?

Those with international roaming, to receive an SMS, it must go through that system and the WiFi providers are not to pay for sending you a message. You will pay.

If only 10 million people a year (out of 40 mil passengers) register for WiFi while at Changi, even if the SMS charge is 1 cent, makes up a nice money. Why are all those personal details needed? Could be they data mine them and sell the results to someone.

7 years ago, when I had a private mobile and wanted roaming for Singapore, the operator in Australia advised I should switch off the SMS capability as each SMS would cost me 1$.

If not, why don't they allow you to use a free terminal and get your password via email to yahoo, msn or google? Or any other email address you might have? Or get it before even going to Singapore via email?

think_too_mut, If there is ever a contest for most tight fisted poster on Thai Visa then I'll be nominating you. You are able to obtain free wi-fi from the Singapore authorities and you expect them to cover the cost of sending an SMS with your password because you nominate a number that uses roaming??? I don't use roaming so please, tell me exactly how much this SMS cost you.

I obviously wasn't clear enough before so I will try again. If for example you are in Bangkok and you go to the link I provided, fill in your details with your Thai mobile number and you will receive an SMS in seconds with your password. I don't know what type of mobile account you have but if someone sends me an SMS I don't pay one baht. Apart from maybe the USA I don't know if there are very many places that charge you for an incoming SMS. If you want an e-mail then I will put a link at the end of this post for one of the other ISPs that will send you one when you sign up. They may still send an SMS, can't remember since it's been a while since I subscribed.

As to why all the personal details are needed, simple, we're talking Singapore not Thailand. You want a SIM in Singapore? You go for example to Seven Eleven and ask to purchase a SIM and before you hand over your $15 they will ask to see your passport. No passport, no SIM as without proper ID they can't register your SIM as required by Singapore law. A couple of Thais I know would have problems living in Singapore because they also have a maximum of 12 mobile numbers registered per person. Want free wi-fi in Singapore? Same deal, no ID no free wi-fi. It's their rules however I think most people believe there is less chance in Singapore of your details being used for the wrong reason than in many other places. In return you get access 24/7 for at least the next year at speeds better than many paid connections in Thailand, and at thousands of hotspots including pretty much the entire CBD. Sounds good to me especially when they make it available to anyone visiting Singapore, not just local taxpayers.

http://qmax.com.sg/

"Do you really think that the stupid ignorant attitude of the Thai immigration is a good thing and should just go unchalenged. Can you offer a reason - othere than psychosis - for this attitude."

I don't think anybody said anything about imm here.

agreed with thecatman, you can't even spell Changi correctly. go home!

thanks for the info about the 'fake taxi drivers' im sure nobody in this forum would have known about that before your informative post, not!

Dumb @ss both of you :D , you might realise millions of tourists arriving Savanaboom looking for a taxi are easy targets for this scum.

Imagine the insurance problems if ever the "taxi" gets into an accident.

It must be soooo difficult for airport security to get rid of these touts, they must have been trying for the last 50 years by now!

As for swampy itself, it's a nice factory hall , lots of noise included for free and don't forget to pay more for your last souvenirs at the over-the-top luxury shops before you go home than you would at Siam Paragon.

Go home yourself :o

How does it really work?

think_too_mut, If there is ever a contest for most tight fisted poster on Thai Visa then I'll be nominating you. You are able to obtain free wi-fi from the Singapore authorities and you expect them to cover the cost of sending an SMS with your password because you nominate a number that uses roaming??? I don't use roaming so please, tell me exactly how much this SMS cost you.

1 dollar. But there is more before that.

First, I have to have roaming, which is 50$ a month.

Then, I have to have a phone that works in Singapore. My Japanese phone does not work but SIM, with international roaming, does.

That means, I had to take it out from my jp phone and insert it into GSM phone. But I don't have a GSM phone, I had to buy it.

So, for me, instead of getting WiFi password via free terminal in the hall in email and start using it from my laptop, the process was more complicated.

To receive the password via SMS I needed to buy a cheap Nokia phone (50$) without a SIM card.

Then, insert my JP SIM card that had to have roaming , another 50$.

I went to register but thing would not send SMS to my jp phone number. I was ready to bear the cost - 1$ for SMS via roaming.

So, it ended up as this: the waitress in the restaurant I was sitting in, quickly realized I am another passenger going through the "free WiFi" ordeal and quickly slipped a postit note with her login and password. Obviously, she does that all day long, every day

So, a man with laptop and mobile phone that does not work in Singapore has to shell 100$ to use free WiFi while in transit. Plus disclose personal details as if he was getting SIM cards that can be used to trigger bombs.

...A couple of Thais I know would have problems living in Singapore because they also have a maximum of 12 mobile numbers registered per person...

Sorry to ask this... and maybe my imagination is not working now, but who would need 12 mobile phones registered to themselves?

TheWalkingMan

To receive the password via SMS I needed to buy a cheap Nokia phone (50$) without a SIM card.

Instead of using your JP SIM you could have bought a new SingTel SIM for $7.00S. That's what I paid about 2 years ago.

OP obviously hasn't transited through Heathrow lately or passed through customs into the USA. Now US customs could give Thai customs a pasting when it comes to being rude, ignorant and arrogant. Heathrow makes Swampy look like a perfect airport. Personally I have flown in and out of Swampy and never had a problem. Yes sometimes you have to queue for a few minutes but it happens the world over. I have also found the attitude of the traveller also determines the courtesy of the staff. I have always found that if you are polite and courteous to them they respond the same way. It also works the other way round. Your trip is in their hands remember. They can cause you more trouble than you can give them!

Instead of using your JP SIM you could have bought a new SingTel SIM for $7.00S. That's what I paid about 2 years ago.

No, I must have my Japanese phone operational, that's work requirement. Staff/customers form Japan call normal number without knowing where I am or in which handset my SIM card may be inserted.

I used to use wife's phone while in BKK but for Singapore I bought another one and even that one did not work well enough to receive free WiFi access.

As it turns out, the necessary device for Internet access (a capable laptop) is not enough, even if there are free fixed stations for 15 minutes sessions at the airport to receive password and login.

Edited by think_too_mut

OP obviously hasn't transited through Heathrow lately or passed through customs into the USA. Now US customs could give Thai customs a pasting when it comes to being rude, ignorant and arrogant. Heathrow makes Swampy look like a perfect airport. Personally I have flown in and out of Swampy and never had a problem. Yes sometimes you have to queue for a few minutes but it happens the world over. I have also found the attitude of the traveller also determines the courtesy of the staff. I have always found that if you are polite and courteous to them they respond the same way. It also works the other way round. Your trip is in their hands remember. They can cause you more trouble than you can give them!

Hmmmm, any comment would be superfluous.

If you had used that 500 note to buy something then you would have got change. The shops are'nt banks you know.

I got free wifi just the other day in Changi. I went to the information counter, and they gave me a slip of paper with a passcode... no SMS required

How does it really work?

I obviously wasn't clear enough before so I will try again. If for example you are in Bangkok and you go to the link I provided, fill in your details with your Thai mobile number and you will receive an SMS in seconds with your password. I don't know what type of mobile account you have but if someone sends me an SMS I don't pay one baht. Apart from maybe the USA I don't know if there are very many places that charge you for an incoming SMS. If you want an e-mail then I will put a link at the end of this post for one of the other ISPs that will send you one when you sign up. They may still send an SMS, can't remember since it's been a while since I subscribed.

As to why all the personal details are needed, simple, we're talking Singapore not Thailand. You want a SIM in Singapore? You go for example to Seven Eleven and ask to purchase a SIM and before you hand over your $15 they will ask to see your passport. No passport, no SIM as without proper ID they can't register your SIM as required by Singapore law. A couple of Thais I know would have problems living in Singapore because they also have a maximum of 12 mobile numbers registered per person. Want free wi-fi in Singapore? Same deal, no ID no free wi-fi. It's their rules however I think most people believe there is less chance in Singapore of your details being used for the wrong reason than in many other places. In return you get access 24/7 for at least the next year at speeds better than many paid connections in Thailand, and at thousands of hotspots including pretty much the entire CBD. Sounds good to me especially when they make it available to anyone visiting Singapore, not just local taxpayers.

http://qmax.com.sg/