Traffic Chaos In Bangkok As Protesters Close Main Roads

george

This whole thing is totally retarded, just like most of the people in these protests and the police. The blind leading the blind. I have been living in Thailand 11 years, and i have started to hate the red shirts to be honest. Close airports, mess up normal peoples lives in Bangkok. oh much love to your cause. i think NOT!!!!! Bring out the tear gas and let the police grow a pair of balls for god sake!!!

umm you got your shirt colors wrong, the yellow shirts are the ones that like closing airports

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read this on Thai asean news network

If it is true, that Thaksin is already in Koh Chang, than I would not be surprised if he will be in the middle of the red-shirt protesters in Bangkok coming Thursday...... If that happens, good buy amazing Thailand !

Nick , Switzerland (4/7/2009 2:44 AM)

Ha ha ha its like a mad snowball rolling down the mountain

Colino

ps keep updating please i'm ment to go to On Nut tomorow afternoon whats my chances 0000.1%

If I heard right, Abhisit has just declared tomorrow (Friday) a holiday? Is this to encourage more red shirts to come to the protests?

:o

No, it will actually encourage them to go home to start their Songkran Holiday early. Brilliant move.

What he said as well, is that starting tomorrow, the Government will have move some protesters, if they don't stop blocking public access to places, etc. He encouraged people to go home, and enjoy their holiday, etc.

Put me on a water cannon, Ill clear out those bozos in about 5 minutes lol. (And yes, I said the same thing during the yellow incidents, for all your mouth breathers)

My thoughts exactly. I understand it's a discussion forum and that the same people want to yell the same political arguments at each other another 15,000,000,000 times, but for those of us interested in the actual news pertaining to events in Bangkok going on it would be nice to have a thread for that.

I've already asked the Moderators for a locked news only thread, seems they dont want that - so we will just have to wade through 100 'opinions' to find one peice of news - oh well, its fun sometimes :D

What a genius of a PM. The markets are already closed 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th for the weekend and then Songkran. So may as well declare the 10th a holiday too and close Thailand for international business for 6 straight days in the middle of an economic crisis.

Edited by rainman

I cannt believe all you pathetic expats. I am also an expat here for only 8 years but since the first day I decided to live here I was 100% aware of the unstability and still chose to stay. You all sit here complaining about this political downfall along with the countries economy declining etc with your beer Hieneken, watching your 42" TV and probably climbing out of your private pool UNAWARE that these poor Thai's are only trying to get a stable government and set the economy strait once and for all. They are not concerned with their next payckeck but maybe for thier grand childrens well being. Countries do not change over night. You chose to live here and if you don't like it I'm sure the Airport is still open and there are several planes heading back to your countries so GET ON ONE. I am also a Business man here and would rather see the ousted PM back in. At least he has money where as the new cannot even afford a pint of milk. I have lost alot over these past months but am still here NOT complaining. These poor taxi drivers are doing what they think is right for their children NOT FOR US. I wonder what some of these Yankees would do if President Bush tried to get back in and the taxi drivers tried to stop it. Would you support them????? Sit back, open another beer and let the Thai's sort it out and if you can't handle the traffic jams and cannot get to your wifes village then GET ON THE NEXT PLANE OUT!!!!!

In other words: you can't complain about the things that are happening in the country you live in. Don't try to make it better, just get out if you don't like it.

hmm very solid arguments, these arguments could also be used in a situation not unlike yours, complaining about complainers and telling them not to complain or get out. pray tell, to which group do you apply your rules? the complainers or the complainers?

What an genius of a PM. The markets are already closed 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th for the weekend and then Songkran. So may as well declare the 10th a holiday too and close Thailand for international business for 6 straight days in the middle of an economic crisis.

5 minutes to Wapner Rainman, get your pudding and settle in!

PM Abhisit said that 70% of the protesters have gone home already, which seems to match up with the current pictures of what is happening in Bangkok.

He also said that all Asian Leaders confirmed that they will still come this weekend.

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/ also has traffic updates, as long as you don't mind long periods of mindless advertising inbetween. They did a good job on the translation of PM Abhisit's speach :-)

Impound the cars, how hard can it be?

The police here are inept for anything outside being part of the protection business for companies ( :o ) or blocking traffic so VIPs can go through unhindered...

Impound who's car? The police car?

If the police were to go to Victory Mom, I am sure the police car will be impound. Not the taxi.

Remember the police truck with loads of arms and shield drove to Swampy airport? The PAD surround them, and the police have to surrender all the arms to the PAD. The police just walk away (on foot), as they are out numbered.

What an genius of a PM. The markets are already closed 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th for the weekend and then Songkran. So may as well declare the 10th a holiday too and close Thailand for international business for 6 straight days in the middle of an economic crisis.

it does not matter that it is 6 days, it's norammly 5 days anyway so it won't make a lick of difference. A 1 day extra closure of most businesses will not hurt GDP and if it prevents another mob from closing down a major piece of the economy then it's all worth it.

Abhisit just called it "against the law" for protesters to call for a government to step down. Didn't the yellow shirts call for the previous government to step down, too?

Well you see Thai law apears to be selective... In this case its illegal because they are wearing red shirts... now it would be ok if they where wearing Yellow shirts....

Just like its "ok" to drive drunk if you have "extra" baht in your pocket, if your pockets are empty its not "ok"....

But at the end of the day the red shirts should stop this nonsense with the Taxi's blocking the roads, and the taxi drivers that left their cars should have to pay impound and storage fees or see the inside of a jail...

Both sides have acted foolish, and both sides should be held accountable for their actions.

PM Abhisit said that 70% of the protesters have gone home already, which seems to match up with the current pictures of what is happening in Bangkok.

Probably because unlike the yellow shirts, the red shirt protesters have a house and a bed to sleep in, unlike the barefoot yellow shirt protesters who enjoyed living in the airport terminal rather than under the highway bridge.

it does not matter that it is 6 days, it's norammly 5 days anyway so it won't make a lick of difference. A 1 day extra closure of most businesses will not hurt GDP and if it prevents another mob from closing down a major piece of the economy then it's all worth it.

Maybe not for somtam vendors, but it makes a big difference on the market.

I understand the frustration of the people, but surely by now they must realise, the rich always win......

I weep for Thailands image.

Which rich people. The red shirt rich or yellow shirt rich :o:D

Yes indeed! Whose got more to lose? Rich is rich and it's all about the dosh.

He also said that all Asian Leaders confirmed that they will still come this weekend.

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/ also has traffic updates, as long as you don't mind long periods of mindless advertising inbetween. They did a good job on the translation of PM Abhisit's speach :-)

That translation was outstanding good. Good job!

I don't agree 100 % but still think he handled it good and the demonstrations are past now (or they do something complete crazy tonight)

What about office workers.

Many won't be able to go to work if things get bad eough tonight. I think I heard on the news that the Red are heading out to Prakhanong, where I've heard the inhabitants there are generally strongly anti-Thaksin.

I understand the frustration of the people, but surely by now they must realise, the rich always win......

I weep for Thailands image.

Which rich people. The red shirt rich or yellow shirt rich :o:D

Yes indeed! Whose got more to lose? Rich is rich and it's all about the dosh.

My sincere condolences to all of you trying to get yourselves and families up north (out of the city) for the Songkran festivities. Someone mentioned earlier "I hope you have a tank". Good call.

Protests to heavily damage tourism: Operators, ministry warn

BANGKOK: -- The Federation of Thai Tourism Associations (FETTA) and the Ministry of Tourism and Sports joined together Thursday to urge the ‘Red Shirt’ anti-government protesters to demonstrate peacefully but expressed concern that a prolonged with violence must eventually heavily affect Thai tourism industry.

The protest will inevitably have a negative impact on foreigners’ confidence in Thai tourism, and be reflected in cancellations and redirected travel to other destinations.

FETTA’s Prasit Shinarmornpong, Thai Hotel Association chairman, said Thailand’s tourism industry is deeply worried about the ongoing protest as it would affect the upcoming Songkran Festival or Thai traditional New Year, one of the most popular among foreign tourists.

"If the protest continues and turns violent, it will negatively impact on the number of tourists entering the country, particularly on the upcoming Songkran festival and on Labour Day, when a large number of Chinese tourists are expected," he said.

As Thai tourism has not fully recovered since the closure of the Thai two main airports late last year, Mr. Prasit said the ongoing political turmoil could possibly affect the planned summits of the members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations and its international dialogue partners (ASEAN+3 and ASEAN+6) this weekend in Pattaya and other official meetings to be held at the end of this year might be cancelled or postponed.

So far, the United Kingdom, Canada and Australia have already issued travel advisory warnings to their citizens who planned to visit Thailand.

Meanwhile, Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silpa-archa affirmed he would not permit any demonstrator action to close any airport. If such a situation occurs, he is ready to resign immediately to take responsibility.

-- TNA 2009-04-09

What market? the SET ? i doubt it would make much of a dent there either, but i guess it could technically be possible this is thailand after all. That being said, the diffusion of the current tension might actually lift the markets or at least keep them stable. I must say i don't know much about the SET and what influences it, i took 1 look at the futures liquidity and spread and decided to pass on the markets here in thailand.

I don't agree 100 % but still think he handled it good and the demonstrations are past now (or they do something complete crazy tonight)

Yes, I think this is it. Hopefully, the reds will do the smart thing right now...Tthis is the season for making amends. They can get out of this lost situation, by making amends right now. People would even respect them for it, while on the other hand, if they get violent, it will only hurt any future political chances they might have.

Edited by kurtgruen

OOOOooooo I did n't expect to be watching the Foreign and Commonwealth website closely again for January 2010. Hubby says if we have to cancel then we wont bother booking Thailand again (this would be a great shame). We loose £300 a time which is alot of money at this time in our economic situation. I have every sympathy with people expressing their right to free speeh and true democracy, but I feel another coup is maybe on the cards to prevent all out civil war.

What a genius of a PM. The markets are already closed 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th and 15th for the weekend and then Songkran. So may as well declare the 10th a holiday too and close Thailand for international business for 6 straight days in the middle of an economic crisis.

As I said earlier, all that education but still Thai brain = no common sense or foresight...

Oh I don't know.

If I was going to kick the living day lights out of some my naughty citizens

and it was featured on the international telly

I might also want the foresight to close the stock markets until I had finished the job.

I say that in jest, and I seriously hope that it will remain a jest.

British sense of humour, folks. British sense of humour.

Watch the opening credits of Dad's Army and you'll understand.

Yes, I think this is it. Hopefully, the reds will do the smart thing right now...Tthis is the season for making amends. They can get out of this lost situation, by making amends right now. People would even respect them for it, while on the other hand, if they get violent, it will only hurt any future political chances they might have.

The Reds will be headless soon. Video footage, license plates, names, places of residences etc. Without their leaders, they will go home eventually. Except for Thaksin, of course, who won't come home.