Boat Accident

Has anyone heard any details about a boat accident.  Our neihbor's husband is policeman on Samui and she is reorting through the proverbial grapevine there at about 5am today there was a boat accident claiming the lives of many full moon party goers.

I've heard at 11.30 pm: 8 dead (6 farang and 2 thai) and +20 missing, but no more news yet, no identifications yet.

News should be updated within the next few hours...

Reports on Aus radio a few hours ago, overloaded by at least 10 pax...... vessel was described as a 'speedboat'(?) coming back from a full moon party.

Sad news again :D

PS

The only time i've been to Samui by boat was from Sura Thani and it was overloaded to h*ll. :o & not enough lifejackets on board.

---------------------------

UPDATE:

Thai tourist boat capsize kills 7, 10 missing

At least seven people have been killed and at least 10 people are missing after a speedboat overloaded with tourists capsized off the Thai island of Koh Samui.

Police say the boat had been returning to the south-eastern island of Samui from the famous all-night full moon party on the neighbouring island of Koh Phangan, which attracts thousands of travellers and ravers from around the world.

Colonel Bandid Tungkaseni, commander of Surat Thani marine police, says seven bodies have been recovered - three foreign men, one foreign woman, two Thais, and one body that could not be identified.

The Australian embassy in Bangkok is trying to establish if any Australians are involved in the accident.

Disaster management officials say 10 people are missing.

"There were 40 passengers on the boat and half of them were rescued," Major Samai Prompakol, a senior police officer in Samui, said.

Police say the passengers had been to the huge party, which is held every month on the beach at Haad Rin in Koh Phangan.

In peak season the party draws tens of thousands of partygoers to the island.

Col Bandid says the speedboat had been carrying too many passengers when it capsized a few kilometres from Koh Samui.

"The cause of the accident was likely that the boat was overloaded, because it was not allowed to carry more than 30 passengers," he said.

The accident comes as Thailand's vital tourism industry is still reeling from the December 26 tsunami that killed more than 5,300 people, half of them believed to be foreign holidaymakers.

The tsunami struck six south-western provinces on Thailand's Andaman coast.

The boat accident happened off the other coast, which had been unaffected by the killer waves and had seen a surge in bookings as tourists rearranged their holidays.

Deputy Interior Minister Sutham Sangprathum says "the accident will absolutely affect the tourism industry, as we had placed our hopes on the Gulf of Thailand" for a rebound in tourism.

Mr Sutham says he has charged the deputy director general of the ministry's disaster management unit to oversee the rescue operation.

- AFP

Edited by udon

Was at the pier this morning, a speedboat got into trouble inbetween Phangan and Samui at around 5am.

The boat was pulled into Bang Rak pier and 8 bodies have been recovered, 6 foreigners and 2 young Thai male (staff I assume).

Apparently one body was still stuck in the wreck and 10 persons still missing.

Hope that this tragic event will start a regulation on the wild west scenes many times happening during the Full Moon transfers.

Overloading was and is a common problem and accidents were bound to happen.

Never saw that much police on Samui in one spot.

There is 2 posts on this in General Discussion as well.

Seven drown as boat sinks off Samui

KOH SAMUI: Seven people have drowned and 10 are still missing after a boat returning to Koh Samui after a full moon party on Koh Pha-ngan sank early this morning

Speaking with the Gazette at midday today, Pol Col Arkom Saisamai, Superintendent of Samui Police Station, told the Gazette that about 40 passengers were aboard the Sea Breeze on a return trip to Koh Samui at about 5 am, when the overloaded boat started to take on water.

The trip from the Koh Pha-ngan, famed for its all-night full moon parties, to Koh Samui usually takes about 20 minutes.

Col Arkom told the Gazette that the seven victims were three Thais, an American man, an Israeli woman and two other foreign victims who have yet to be identified.

“About 10 people are still missing. The Marine Police and other officers are searching for them now.

“The injured survivors have already been transfered to Koh Samui H ospital, but none were seriously injured,” Col Arkom said.

He added that the victims had most likely been drinking and had little sleep, both factors that would have contributed to their deaths.

Brought to you by:

The Phuket Gazette

12:48 local time (GMT +7)

http://www.mcot.org/query.php?nid=35192

Tourist boat driver blames fatal crash on mechanical failure

SURAT THANI, Jan26 (TNA) -

The driver of a tourist speedboat that capsized in the Gulf of Thailand killing at least seven people has blamed the accident on a combination of speed and mechanical failure.

The speedboat driver, Samran Rungruang, gave himself up to police this morning and now faces negligence and manslaughter charges.

Surat Thani Governor Vijit Vichaisarn told a news conference today that there were 47 passengers aboard the speedboat on its journey from Pha-ngan island to Samui. Seven people have been confirmed dead, including four foreign tourists; 15 people are missing; and 25 were rescued.

The speedboat driver said he had picked up more than 30 passengers from Haad Rin, site of a popular beach party held every full moon. He said he lost control when the boat's hydraulic system failed at high speed, hurling all the passengers to one side and causing the vessel to capsize.

The Royal Thai Navy and local marine police are continuing to search the area for survivors. It is hoped some of those still listed as missing managed to make it ashore on surrounding islets. (TNA)--E113

:o

Let's all hope that at least the police in Had Rin will be waiting for the boats to come in and give fines to those captains arriving with over loaded boats and prevent captains from over loading the boats as they leave. I think it would be very diffacult for the Samui police to monitor the boats. But all the captains come in to one spot in Had Rin.

Hi Seville,

I can't imagine in my wildest dreams or real thoughts the Koh Phangnan police officers standing in 2 meters of pis* during the night on Haad Rin beach, telling the captains not to overload.

A great thought by you, but not workable. I fully agree with you though that something has to be done about the wild west scenes involving the speedboats and their crews during each full moon party.

BKK may impose some action, but who's going to enforce in 3 months time? There's too much money involved for all parties.

Let's all hope that at least the police in Had Rin will be waiting for the boats to come in and give fines to those captains arriving with over loaded boats and prevent captains from over loading the boats as they leave. I think it would be very diffacult for the Samui police to monitor the boats. But all the captains come in to one spot in Had Rin.

Hi Seville,

I can't imagine in my wildest dreams or real thoughts the Koh Phangnan police officers standing in 2 meters of pis* during the night on Haad Rin beach, telling the captains not to overload.

A great thought by you, but not workable. I fully agree with you though that something has to be done about the wild west scenes involving the speedboats and their crews during each full moon party.

BKK may impose some action, but who's going to enforce in 3 months time? There's too much money involved for all parties.

I agree... the speedboat companies are probably too well connected.

Hi Seville,

The basic thought and line of thinking is good though!

I'm a total supporter of regulations on these speedboats, however, reality is that probably not too much will happen a few months down the line.

BTW, yesterday another person was found.

It's more like :o

Tragic event indeed :D

I dont know about other tv members but I just wouldn't get into a boat at 5.00 am after a full moon party, it just doesn't make sense to me. Ive been to more than a few full moons and dont even bother going back to my room usually a few kilometres north of Had Rin in a taxi as its better to stick around until daylight kicks in and you can sober up a little.

Would you go swimming when your pissed up? Put your life in the hands of a pissed up boat driver? If you do get in the boat and you see it becoming overloaded, for Christ's sake get out, kip on the beach and get a proper ferry back the next day.

The only thing that can make a difference are the people who use the boats, use your comon sense, dont get on them when they are overloaded or when your pissed.

Condolences to all involved.

I agree with you 100%, but so many people out there in world just don't think!

I've helped my friends take people to the party by long tail and truck taxi and given people some advice on how to keep themselves safe. Everytime at least one or two of the people come back with stories of how this and that happened and it was because they just simply did not want to take advice.

It is sad and it is tragic. It's a party for Gods sake, but you have to be able to take care of yourself.

I agree with you 100%, but so many people out there in world just don't think!

I've helped my friends take people to the party by long tail and truck taxi and given people some advice on how to keep themselves safe. Everytime at least one or two of the people come back with stories of how this and that happened and it was because they just simply did not want to take advice.

It is sad and it is tragic. It's a party for Gods sake, but you have to be able to take care of yourself.

Completely right , in fact : these people give extra money ( probably 1000 bath or more ) to get on this overcrowded boat with drunk pilot to get on it !!! They probably ( very likely ) got a return ticket in their pockets but just are to drunk , stoned , tired and want to go back to Samui to sleep on the first boat who takes them . That is the ways this thing works around here, nobody cared before , nobody will after this event and to be honest , nobody wants it to be different . The less interference of officials , the better the island stays . Better said , this is a island where everything goes his/her way and has a special kind of ruling things . The whole atmosfear is , no government interference .... and FMP is the big standard in this game , allthough it maybe pulling strings at some times .