'i Dont Have An Opinion On That'

davejonesbkk

I think it's best to say I am only a Farang I don't understand.

ผมเป็นแต่ฝรั่งก็เลยไม่เข้าใจสถานการณ์นี้ครับ

I'm not sure, but I think แค่ should come before เป็น

I think it's best to say I am only a Farang I don't understand.

ผมเป็นแต่ฝรั่งก็เลยไม่เข้าใจสถานการณ์นี้ครับ

agree with แค่ instead of แต่. however, in a tactical sense, this sentence is like an invitation for the taxi driver to give you a complete rundown...

Hi dave, yes good idea. I too get asked and I usually just ignore the question pretending not to hear or understand.

But I disagree slightly with the wording in wasabi's statement ie: I'm "ONLY A FARANG" I am definately proud of my background and not at all ashamed as wasabi gives the impression he is.

What's wrong with as you say "I don't have an opinion" or "I don't know" or even "I'm not really interested in politics".

If someone more skilled than I could provide the phonetic English for one or other of my suggestions I'd be appreciative.

You could always say ไม่มีความเห็น or ไม่มีความคิดเห็น, "I have no opinion."

Other things you might say... เรื่องมันซับซ้อน "it's a complex situation" and/or ไม่ค่อยเข้าใจทั้งหมด "I don't really understand it all."

One could always quote the words of พล.อ.เปรม ติณสูลานนท์ - General Prem Tinsulanon, the chief of the Privy Counsel, "ผมไม่เกี่ยว", (I am not involved). It would be as useful for you as it is for him, and, the taxi driver would immediately understand the double meaning.

One could always quote the words of พล.อ.เปรม ติณสูลานนท์ - General Prem Tinsulanon, the chief of the Privy Counsel, "ผมไม่เกี่ยว", (I am not involved). It would be as useful for you as it is for him, and, the taxi driver would immediately understand the double meaning.

But if you say that, the taxi driver might think you are really the secret mastermind behind the country's political struggles! :o

But if you say that, the taxi driver might think you are really the secret mastermind behind the country's political struggles! :o

This is a country that bets lots of money on blood sports, so there must be an equivalent to, "I don't have a dog in that fight." "อย่าเสิยมเชา" comes close. I have pix of an illustration of the latter saying taken at That Phanom, but don't know how to post it. The full expression:

"อย่าเสิ้ยมเขาตวายให้ช่นกัน"

Edited by PawyiLee

This is a country that bets lots of money on blood sports, so there must be an equivalent to, "I don't have a dog in that fight." "อย่าเสิยมเชา" comes close. I have pix of an illustration of the latter saying taken at That Phanom, but don't know how to post it. The full expression:

My wife suggests not using any expression with Thai for dog or kwai, but something more along the lines of, "I don't care for cock fights." The best I can do is, "ส่วนผม ผมไม่ใดเลี้ยงไก่ชน"

I sometimes get asked by taxi drivers what my opinion is of the red/yellow shirts and I want to say something (politely) along the lines of 'I don't really have an opinion on that' or 'I'm not sure, it's such a complex situation'...

If you don't want to criticise about it, you can say"ผมเป็นคนนอก ไม่อยากยุ่งเกี่ยวกับเรื่องการเมืองของประเทศอื่น ขอไม่ออกความเห็นนะครับ".

'I don't really have an opinion on that' - ผมไม่มีความเห็นในเรื่องนี้

'I'm not sure, it's such a complex situation' - ผมไม่แน่ใจครับ สถานการณ์มันซับซ้อนจนเกินกว่าจะเข้าใจได้

เสี้ยมเขาควายให้ชนกัน - To incite a quarrel.

My wife suggests not using any expression with Thai for dog or kwai, but something more along the lines of, "I don't care for cock fights." The best I can do is, "ส่วนผม ผมไม่ใดเลี้ยงไก่ชน"

That's closer. You shouldn't say anything, mai puht Thai, just give them a look like I don't give a fuc_k.

I sometimes get asked by taxi drivers what my opinion is of the red/yellow shirts and I want to say something (politely) along the lines of 'I don't really have an opinion on that' or 'I'm not sure, it's such a complex situation'...

If you don't want to criticise about it, you can say"ผมเป็นคนนอก ไม่อยากยุ่งเกี่ยวกับเรื่องการเมืองของประเทศอื่น ขอไม่ออกความเห็นนะครับ".

'I don't really have an opinion on that' - ผมไม่มีความเห็นในเรื่องนี้

'I'm not sure, it's such a complex situation' - ผมไม่แน่ใจครับ สถานการณ์มันซับซ้อนจนเกินกว่าจะเข้าใจได้

เสี้ยมเขาควายให้ชนกัน - To incite a quarrel.

How about ไม่สนไก่ชน