Traffic And Demo Updates Only Please

sbk

Breaking news, traffic updates and demonstration information in this thread only please. Please keep the politics out and allow members who want information to find it here. Any political posts will be deleted without notification.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai PM Abhisit calls holiday to cope with protest

Thu Apr 9, 2009 10:47am EDT

BANGKOK, April 9 (Reuters) - Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said there would be a public holiday on Friday to help the government cope with the effects of political protests that caused traffic chaos in Bangkok on Thursday.

The anti-government protesters have also threatened to disrupt an Asian summit in the Thai resort town of Pattaya starting on Friday, which he said would go ahead as planned.

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssFinanci...K50039020090409

TURMOIL IN CITY

Abhisit refuses to budge, declares Friday national holiday

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has declared Friday a national holiday as he stands firm against the red-shirt protesters who caused traffic turmoil in Bangkok on Thursday.

Prime Minister Abhisit had flown back from Pattaya for a national TV address in the evening, as pro-Thaksin protesters blocked all entrances to Victory Monument and drastically raised the already-high political tension.

Abhisit, admitting that the anti-government protest involved as many as 100,000 people at its peak on Thursday, said 70 per cent of them had returned home, leaving about 30,000 encamped near Government House.

The remaining protesters, he said, carried out some activities that could be deemed illegal. He said the government remained committed to exercising restraint and tolerance but would proceed to take legal action against any act deemed detrimental to national security.

Abhisit was adamant that dissolving the House now would not do the Thai democracy any good, given the extreme political split and unusual situations. He also asked why the protesters are demanding his resignation while at the same time declaring that a government was "non-existent".

He said TV Channel 11 will now serve as a station to monitor "what really happens" and inform the public of the government's decision and action regarding the current turmoil.

Red-shirted protesters, who are taxi drivers of of the community radio clubs, parked their vehicles on all roads leading to the Victory Monument which is one of the busiest centre of Bangkok.

The anti-government protesters also onto the roads circling the monument, causing chaos. More red-shirted protesters are planning to move from the residence of Privy Council head Prem Tinsulanonda to the Victory Monument soon.

They vowed to block the access for three days if Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva did not agree to the protesters' demands for him to resign and dissolve the House.

"Everything happened quite fast," said a man who called The Nation in the afternoon. "When I came to the Victory Monument in the early afternoon, there was nothing. Then all of a sudden, I am now trapped and I can't go anywhere."

Taxi radio earlier in the day called on a gathering at the Vibhavadirangsit Soi 3, a taxi radio headquarters, "to receive instructions."

Ramathibodi Hospital bore the blunt of the blockade, with its director going on TV asking those who planning to come to the hospital to go to other hospitals instead. She also said some patients wanting to go home were having difficulties leaving the hospital.

Red-shirted protesters also appeared at the Hua Lampong train station in the afternoon, another busy and key logistic area of Bangkok. It was not immediately clear if the intention was to stop train service. There has been no report of untoward incident at Hua Lampong Thursday night.

The red-shirted movement also held a big gathering on the Rajadamnoen Avenue around the Democracy Monument. "Very symbolic," an observer said. "After "victory", now "democracy".

Many red-shirted protesters were leaving for Pattaya Thursday night with an aim to disrupt the Asean summit with dialogue partners being hosted by Thailand in the resort city. Protest leaders said they would consider it a major triumph if the summit was prevented from taking place.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said in the afternoon his government learnt in advance that red shirts protesters will block access to the Victory Monument. Arriving in Pattaya where he would host Asean Summit plus six, Abhisit said that the government already prepared how to solve the problems.

Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Theugsubhan echoed what Abhisit said, saying the government knew in advance of the movement.

Suthep said in Bangkok that police will use tow trucks to tow taxis as many as possible from the roads.

BTS allowed stranded travellers to use the skytrain service without having to buy tickets at the Victory Monument stations. The passengers were instructed to pay at their destination stations.

Government sources said it was feared the blockade could be just the beginning, and that security forces were on alert for potential bigger trouble in the evening.

Reporters were trying to locate the last remaining members of the "Shinawatra" clan after Thaksin Shinawatra's ex-wife Pojaman, their three children, his brother Chaisit Shinawatra and brother-in-law Somchai Wongsawat had left the country.

Somchai, however, appeared at the Government House rally Thursday night to address the crowds. He said the other Shinawatras only left the country "temporarily".

Unconfirmed reports said Thaksin's sisters _ Yaowapa Wongsawat and Yingluck Shinawatra _ may have also left the country.

The unconfirmed departure would leave the red-shirted movement with virtually no immediate, on-hand guidances, the sources said. This could either weaken or, on the contrary, galvanise the movement and things could get out of control.

-- The Nation 2009-04-09

Tomorrow (Friday) is 'Wan Ratchakan' (public holiday) just as the days for Songkran are 'Wan Ratchakan' (excuse spelling if wrong). Educated Thais inform me that this is normal public holiday and therefore the main places still open will be banks.

Therefore, I will not be going to school.

Edited by Sunderland

In addition, the premier said the cabinet agreed to make Friday an additional holiday for the long Songkran weekend, and the government will later enforce regulations to prosecute the wrongdoers.

However, the Bank of Thailand (BoT) announced that commercial banks and the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) will not close Friday, because many transactions need to be completed.

Bangkok post

11pm

Just heard the expressway and highway to Pattaya are still open despite rumours of attempts to blockade them. However anyone travelling to the Eastern Seaboard at this time of night and in the early hours of Friday may encounter police checkpoints.

The intersection at Sukhumvit / Rama IV and Pridi (Suk 71) is a huge mess at the moment. The Sukhumvit / Rama IV intersection is completely blocked by the red shirts. Traffic inbound is being diverted onto Sukhumvit 71 towards Phattanakarn. Outbound on Sukhumvit is moving slowly.

Traffic heading into Jomtien from Sth Pattaya is a mess with roadblocks everywhere. My office is in Pratumnak hill and i had to turn around and go home because i couldn't get access. A cop told me tomorrow will be worse as the ASEAN summit begins. Best to steer clear of this area for the next few days.

Demo update:

In am on Taxi Radio now (FM 107.5). They were call for more Taxi/people/red to go to Victory Monument. They are claiming that they have news that fully armed soliders is on the move.

I am only translating. I cannot confirm if the information is correct. Please don't shoot the massenger.

Edited by samgrowth

I am a bit baffled as to why they would have the Asean summit in Pattaya to begin with. Its really not the image Thailand has tried hard to suppress. Secondly given the current political situation and protests why not pick somewhere like Koh Samui or Phuket with limited access from Issan where all the protestors seem to be from. Simply set it up in Samui and close off the island due to security concerns. Block all incoming boats period. Easy and safe. Thaksin won't shell out airfare for the cronies and even if he did it wouldn't amount to many.

Not as much traffic in my Sukhumvit Soi (36) this morning. but motobike said avoid Rama 1v and Asoke intersection I can't see any traffic from my room but appreciate the info steam - i have to go out soon - my motobike taxi last night had to wear a red scarf otherwise the Prakanong taxi block wouldn't let him ride.He wasn't happy !

Friday 8.50am

Traffic on Sukumvit/Ploenchit area very light, similar to an early Sunday morning. Skytrain running fine as well. One of the ladies that I work with has just told me that there are plans for the Reds to block the tollways today. Cabbie told me this morning that there was about 1000 Reds at Sukumvit 71.

My journey to work this morning was very easy... light traffic on the roads and the BTS was strangely quiet also.

I really hope the Cabbies don't block the Tollways today - a lot of people (myself included) are planning to go away for Songkran :o

This is bol”c”ks, this morning I have driven from Suk 31 to Pink Lao via Sukhumvit, Rama1 and democracy monument…NO red shirts or blocked roads anywhere.

Pink Lao back to Asoke via Hua lampoon, Rama 4 and Asoke to Soi 31 …NOT 1 red shirt or blocked road

All I can see are closed are Post Office and Gov buildings…this is madness Abasit

Soi 31 all police have gone outside Abasits house the usual 6-8 police

NATIONAL holiday for what..just before Songkran…better start giving away 10,000 baht next as 2,000 just won’t cut it

Red shirts block traffic in three locations

As of Friday's morning, police said the red shirts have continued to block traffic in three locations - Victory Monument, in front of Government House and a section of Sukhumvit 71 Road.

Motorists should avoid all four routes, Phaya Thai, Rajavithi, Phaholyothin and Din Daeng, leading in and out of Victory Monument.

Traffic around Tuek Chai, near Victory Monument is also closed.

Inbound vehicles from Din Daeng Road, the route under Din Daeng Tollway, Vibhavadi and Rama IX, are not allowed to proceed toward Victory Monument.

The area in front of Government House, particularly at the Panitchakan intersection of Phitsanulok Road, is closed to traffic.

The red shirts have blocked inbound and outbound traffic at Charoenchai intersection of Sukhumvit 71.

The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...three-locations