Rumor Control Please Atm Foriegn Usage Fees

Reading the Thai Bank Association rule carefully, it does not mention fees for use of ATM cards. It mentions a 150 baht fee for use of CREDIT OR DEBIT cards in an ATM machine.

So - it is not clear that users of ATM cards will face any new fees. This past week, I was locally charged 20 baht for one ATM withdrawal, and nothing for a withdrawal using a different machine.

Cheers!

Indo-Siam

Already covered in a thread / topic 2 days ago.

Use the search facility. :D

edit: here ya go Mr Lazybones. It's true! April 17th. :o

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Banks-S...it-t255263.html

Due to the large movement of new topics and ongoing thread information.

Is it possible to allow a bit of understanding towards those who have for one reason or another failed to see or locate a similar topic.

It doesn,t take much to just post a ref. url in a courteous way, not that this one is meant to be discourteous in any way but it highlights others ( thanks to the smiley and :D GD )

Some other members tend to be more acidic and sarcastic towards our membership.

Come on fellow members, let,s have a bit of understanding and friendlier responses to those who inadvertantly fail to be up to speed on the forum.

Thank you

Edited by sheff_mick

Reading the Thai Bank Association rule carefully, it does not mention fees for use of ATM cards. It mentions a 150 baht fee for use of CREDIT OR DEBIT cards in an ATM machine.

So - it is not clear that users of ATM cards will face any new fees. This past week, I was locally charged 20 baht for one ATM withdrawal, and nothing for a withdrawal using a different machine.

Cheers!

Indo-Siam

to be technically precise , all financial cards are either debit or credit , there is no such thing as an "ATM card". this is an erroneous/lay person term used by Joe Blogs on the street. So the Bank Association are correct.

when the transaction messages are sent down the wire(from a payment terminal in a store or an ATM machine etc,,,) the PAN field in the message is inspected by the payments switch to determine whether the card is credit or debit.

In the U.S. at least, banks do use separate terminology for ATM vs debit cards....

Usually, when they say debit card, that means it's VISA or MasterCard branded and can be used for online purchases, point of sale purchases and such, although the money is taken directly from your bank account (unlike a credit card).

But when they say ATM only, and I have some of those, it typically only carries the issuing bank's name and can only be used to make ATM withdrawals.

Anyone know if the new fee will apply to just the one type, or to both??

Cheers!

Indo-Siam

to be technically precise , all financial cards are either debit or credit , there is no such thing as an "ATM card". this is an erroneous/lay person term used by Joe Blogs on the street. So the Bank Association are correct.

when the transaction messages are sent down the wire(from a payment terminal in a store or an ATM machine etc,,,) the PAN field in the message is inspected by the payments switch to determine whether the card is credit or debit.

My financial card is neither a debit or credit card,it's a cash card.

In the U.S. at least, banks do use separate terminology for ATM vs debit cards....

Usually, when they say debit card, that means it's VISA or MasterCard branded and can be used for online purchases, point of sale purchases and such, although the money is taken directly from your bank account (unlike a credit card).

But when they say ATM only, and I have some of those, it typically only carries the issuing bank's name and can only be used to make ATM withdrawals.

The core banking software that processes card transactions knows cards as being debit or credit. 2 categories for financial cards, period. There are also non financial cards ie: loyalty cards, fleet cards etc...

How a card is advertised,marketed, branded, etc... by an issuer, is obviously irrelvant to a computer system processing ISO standard messages to complete the transaction ie: in the context of the transaction...... a "cash card" would be "debit", a bank issued card that some people refer to as "ATM card" would be "debit" , a Visa credit card would be "credit". a Visa Electon card would be "debit" etc......

So when the Thai Bank Association refer to debit and credit cards, I would have to assume that they are being technically correct and referring to all financial cards.

Probably a SCB ATM - they charge 20THB a pop for withdrawals, whereas most others do not (until the 17th that is, then we'll see).

I'm currently stock-piling cash to give me a buffer until others can report on what is being charged by whom.

Another forum saying that banks will raise the use of foriegn ATM cards to 150 Baht. Haven't been able to confirm it one way or another. Anyone have any solid information?

OK, So the OP couldn't find any solid information, fair enough, the solid information is provided here

Now, as there is already a thread on this topic running, would it be too much to ask for one of the site monitors to now close this thread. (They don't normally need an invitation to do so).

Is it possible to allow a bit of understanding towards those who have for one reason or another failed to see or locate a similar topic.

<snip>

let,s have a bit of understanding and friendlier responses to those who inadvertantly fail to be up to speed on the forum.

Good grief. Inadvertant? Maybe if they were blind. Op must have opened up the business forum to start the thread .. you run your eyes down the list of active threads on the first page ... not too hard thus far ... and see one or more existing threads on atm charges ... open one up and within the first few posts you have links. A big part of the reason for so much "ongoing thread information" in the first place is folks starting up duplicate threads, often in only vaguely relevant sub-forums. I'm with gunga-din on this one

:o

<snip>

let,s have a bit of understanding and friendlier responses to those who inadvertantly fail to be up to speed on the forum.

Good grief. Inadvertant? Maybe if they were blind. Op must have opened up the business forum to start the thread .. you run your eyes down the list of active threads on the first page ... not too hard thus far ... and see one or more existing threads on atm charges ... open one up and within the first few posts you have links. A big part of the reason for so much "ongoing thread information" in the first place is folks starting up duplicate threads, often in only vaguely relevant sub-forums. I'm with gunga-din on this one

:o

That's enough!

Ray23 is a 6 year veteran of very good standing, we all slip up, hence my friendly roast. :D

There was no malice in my post. OK? :D

gd

I wonder how they're going to make the charge - through the foreign card holder's account in farangland? Surely farangland's bankers' associations will start doing the same?

A double-whammy. An average 10,000 Baht withdrawal will now cost a Fiver, or 2.5%.

Nationwide are joining the happy band of bankers who are passing on the VISA transaction charge (0.84% from 6th May and 1% from 1st July). Add the exhorbitant 150 baht charge and bingo! - you have many unhappy Teeraks and/or their sponsors :D

I shall spend the next week withdrawing 15.000 Baht a day and pay it into my Thai account. Then on 5th May I shall make a judgement call on where the exchange rate is/is going and make a heavier withdrwal over the counter at my local bank and pay Baht into that account.

The disturbing thing is that this starts to make a good case for carrying Sterling cash into Thailand - something that is absolutely ridiculous in 2009.

Additionally, I shall have to revert to transferring money to my G/F monthly rather than weekly - unless she can manage on 150 baht a week less than now :o

Kiakaha, I don't know about banking software, but I do know about banking networks.

If you have a U.S. based VISA or MasterCard branded credit or debit card, and use it here in Thailand, the transaction is handled by the VISA or MC networks and they typically impose a 1% processing charge on credit card transactions, apart from anything more the issuing U.S. bank may add on.

If you have a straight ATM card (non VISA or MasterCard), the transaction typically is handled by a different network (such as Cirrus or STAR), and typically there is little or no transaction fee, and VISA and MC are not involved. So usually, straight bank ATM cards (non VISA or MC) are more economical to use here in Thailand.

The core banking software that processes card transactions knows cards as being debit or credit. 2 categories for financial cards, period. There are also non financial cards ie: loyalty cards, fleet cards etc...

How a card is advertised,marketed, branded, etc... by an issuer, is obviously irrelvant to a computer system processing ISO standard messages to complete the transaction ie: in the context of the transaction...... a "cash card" would be "debit", a bank issued card that some people refer to as "ATM card" would be "debit" , a Visa credit card would be "credit". a Visa Electon card would be "debit" etc......

So when the Thai Bank Association refer to debit and credit cards, I would have to assume that they are being technically correct and referring to all financial cards.