You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

Visa To The Usa

Hi All,

Nationality : Thai (Female)

I was issued a multiple entry 10yr (B1/B2) visa back in August 1998, but the trip got cancelled & so as yet, I have never actually used the visa.

Now there is an opportunity for me to visit the United States through my work, but I am just worried about whether the visa although technically valid, will still be accepted?

To complicate the matter, the visa is in an old (cancelled) passport, I have since gotten married thus changing my surname & I am employed by a different company to the one that I was working for, when I lodged the application back in 1998.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm guessing a visit to the embassy is in order?

Ask with the embassy if it is still valid, though I am sure it is if it is undamaged it will be fine. The only concern is that you have a different surname, so it is best to ring and ask the embassy on that one.

Otherwise, the important thing to check is if the visa remains intact, and that when your old passport was 'cancelled and cut' around the edges, that the actual US visa wasn't cut also. If it was cut, then it is now invalid.

If the visa is undamaged in the old passport, then you can travel to the US as long as you take both your old and new passports together, presenting them both to immigration when you arrive.

I have a Thai passport and a 10 year multi entry US visa issued in 1996. The visa is affixed in my old thai passport which expired in 1998 (remember the 'big brown' old style passports?). I last travelled to the US in 2000 with my new passport. I took the old PP with me too and had no problems entering the country using the old visa.

I

Edited by samran