Going To France - Does The Wife Need A Schengen Visa?

Hi there guys. The situation is, I'm british, the wife's thai, she lives here in the UK with me, she is on a settlement visa with FLR (but hasn't got around to passing that stupid life in the UK test as to get ILR/british passport etc.) I'm going to France for a couple of days, she'd like to come along as well so I looked on the French embassy site thinking she'd need a visa; but now I'm not sure. I'm no expert on all things visa so I thought I'd post this in hope that one a bit sharper than myself would look over it.

On the site, under the 'Do I need a visa?' bit it says

"The foreign spouse of a EU national (except French national) may enter France without visa if they are holding:

a valid travel document;

a valid UK residence permit with the endorsement "family member of EEA national";

and if they are meeting up or travelling with the EU national.

However if you do not satisfy the above conditions, you will need to apply for a visa to travel to France (for instance if your residency is not explicit or if you are travelling to France for business). Note that children and parents of EU Nationals still require visas to travel to France."

and it also has this little table thingy,

http://www.ambafrance-uk.org/Passports-iss...he-British.html

Now I don't want to presume here - but it sounds like she doesn't need one. But I don't want to wait until we get off the plane in Nice to find out that I was wrong. We went to Venice a year or so ago and she needed a schengen then.

Edited by a man with a plan

You won't be Pasport checked into France or any other EU country

Unless you arrive by Air

You will be Pasport checked back into the UK

But your wife as a Valid passport to enter. So personaly don't think you will need a Visa

You can check for peace of mind but I would be very suprised if you needed a visa.

Have a lovely time I always have in France.

I kind of feel I'd rather get a schengen to be safe (unless I can get written conformation that it is not required... won't hold my breath) as we are going by air. Does anyone know if the visa can be done by mail? Or are we going to have to do that 'scramble down to london and battle with the commuters to get to the embassy before a certain time, queue up and deal with someone who feels disdain for all man-kind' malarky.

As usually seems to be the case when acquiring a visa?

Before traveling we always check here about Visa Requirements:

http://www.aua.com/at/eng/About_Flight/pre...nts/default.htm

Here are results on your question:

timlogo.gif

/ 12APR09 / 1213 UTC

National Thailand (TH)

Residence United Kingdom (Great Britain) (GB)

Destination France (FR)

vi_de.gif

France (FR)

in_on_no.gif

Passport required.

- Passports and/or passport replacing documents must be valid

on arrival.

Visa required, except for A max. stay of 3 months:

- for those, irrespective of nationality, holding family

member" residence permit issued by United Kingdom (Great

Britain) to a family member of an E.E.A. national or

national of Switzerland, provided travelling with or

travelling to join the E.E.A. national or national of

Switzerland;

If your wife holds a Thai passport only she most certainly does need a Schengen visa.FLR/ILR is only good for the UK because we are outside the Schengen agreement.

We went to Paris last November by train and the passport and visa were both checked before she was allowed on the train in London.

We also flew to Italy a couple of weeks ago and were briefly delayed by the airline staff whilst we provided the documents to show she had a return ticket booked before the expiry date of her Schengen visa.

• 2 weeks later...
A schengen visa is 60 euros

For the spouse of an EU national, it is free.

As of the 1st of January 2007, ALL Schengen visa applications are charged at

>60 €uros, irrespective of the duration of stay requested. The payment remains payable in cash and Pound Sterling ONLY (The fee is accorded to the exchange rate of the British Pound against the Euro, so varies between £40 and £60).

Where about does it say that the visa is free for spouse of an EU national, because I can't find it but I did find the info above?

Brigante7.

If your wife is traveling with you she DOES NOT REQUIRE A VISA . all these people are still ignoring the fact that this is NEW as of March 2009 .I believe your wifes residency is specific, the uk is in the required group and you meet their requirements.

Im not sure if my wife can go on a 2 year settlement visa. I have tried calling the visa information line which was useless but I think not. visa applications for spouses are free and available by post if you live far enough away from the consulate[Devon ok Somerset not in my case]So my wife would have to visit London or use an agent.

If your wife is traveling with you she DOES NOT REQUIRE A VISA . all these people are still ignoring the fact that this is NEW as of March 2009 .I believe your wifes residency is specific, the uk is in the required group and you meet their requirements.

You misunderstand the information posted by the French Embassy, which was previously quoted by the OP but I cut and paste again as follows:

"March 2009 - FAO the foreign spouse of a EU national (except French national):

The foreign spouse of a EU national (except French national) may enter France without visa if they are holding:

a valid travel document;

a valid UK residence permit with the endorsement "family member of EEA national";

and if they are meeting up or travelling with their EU spouse.

However if you do not satisfy the above conditions, you will need to apply for a visa to travel to France (for instance if your residency is not explicit or if you are travelling to France for business). Note that children and parents of EU Nationals still require visas to travel to France."

This clearly refers to those issued with Residence Permits as Family Members under the EEA Regulations, not granted entry for 2 years or ILR as a spouse under UK Immigration Rules. Unless the visa in your spouse's passport carries the endorsement highlighted in bold above, he/she has to get a visa.