Tanks Mobilised In Bangkok

george

Tanks mobilised in Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Tanks have been mobilised in parts of Bangkok as part of the government's policy to maintain order under the state of emergency as declared by Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Sunday afternoon.

Army spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd said the announcement of the state of emergency did not mean that the authority to implement the policy would rest in the hands of the army. He said the military was a part of the effort to enforce the policy, which also included police.

Implementing the Emergency Decree, which was declared in Bangkok and some districts of Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan, Pathum Thani, Nakhon Pathom and Ayutthaya, means that authorities now had to mobilise to take care of and guard key installations and centres in Bangkok.

He said that this comprised of about 50 spots in Bangkok. Asked about the role of tanks which were spotted in certain areas of Bangkok such as the Pratunam area, Col Sansern said that certain equipment had to be deployed to enforce the state of emergency and restore order.

Col Sansern said key spots across the city where authorities would focus on are key intersections in the city which had in the past been blocked by red shirt protestors, key government installations, ministries, government offices, banks and department stores.

He added that in spots where taxis had blocked intersections, authorities would need to deploy equipment to remove the vehicles and if necessary arrest those responsible for the blockages.

The spokesman said that in the past security authorities had avoided confrontation or the use of force to maintain peace against protestors. He said that now that the state of emergency had been announced, it was time to act.

Earlier, Prime Minister Abhisit's limousine was blocked and attacked by United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) protestors at the Interior Ministry. The prime minister's car was able to break through the protestors who had broken into the ministry grounds by crashing through the ministry gates.

-- Bangkok Post 2009-04-12

Armour, troops on streets; Gunfire in scuffle after PM declares emergency

BANGKOK: -- Armoured military vehicles and soldiers have been deployed at 50 key locations in the capital as anti-government protests turn more violent and spread into several areas of Bangkok following the prime minister’s imposition of a State of Emergency.

Gunfire from unidentified sources was heard during a scuffle as the prime minister’s car left the Ministry of Interior Sunday afternoon.

Television footage showed protesters smashing the prime minister's car with clubs, iron bars, rocks, flower pots and bottles forcing the driver to take evasive action in the compound as protesters blocked all entrances. The car's window was shattered.

Thai Army spokesman Col. Sansern Kaewkamnerd said the military's presence is meant to restore order, after red-shirted anti-government protesters stormed into the ministry compound, and local television showed pictures of the mob armed with poles and paving slabs smashing a car they believed carried the prime minister.

However, Niphon Prompan, the premier's secretary-general, was seriously hurt in the incident and being detained by the protesters, according to Supachai Jaisamut, interior ministry spokesman.

Mr. Abhisit escaped unharmed and he later told reporters that he was safe but one of his security guards was nabbed by the protesters.

When the prime minister departed the interior ministry, a driver in another car was seriously injured after being beaten by the protesters.

He said he had not fired at the protesters but the gunshot was heard after the protesters tried to grab a gun from him.

Another security officer was handcuffed by the protesters and was taken to the anti-government United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) encampment at Government House.

Mr. Abhisit urged the protester to release his man and allow him to seek treatment at hospital.

The premier Sunday afternoon declared a State of Emergency in the capital and five neighbouring provinces.

Effective immediately, the state of emergency is imposed in Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan, Pathum Thani, Nakhon Pathom and Ayutthaya provinces because a group of people are inciting unrest.

It will be implemented by Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban, Mr. Abhisit said.

He said the government deemed it necessary to declare the state of emergency before the situation worsen.

Under the order, gatherings of more than five people are prohibited, the press is not allowed to present news reports which could incite worry among to the public. The order also allows the public to be evacuated from areas considered to be risky.

-- TNA 2009-04-12

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BCC is reporting, “Tanks been Hi-jacked on Bangkok streets by Red Shirts”. They are showing footage of red shirt people jumping all over the tanks and seen to have control of them. BBC reported the tanks were taken over with no resistance !!!!!

So there are now tanks in Bangkok streets under the control of red shirts. It’s kind of comical. I wonder how much tea money to the tank drivers????

I posted this in another thread, but maybe it belongs here:

Just got back from a quick drive. One tank is out at the Army base in Phaholyothin Road. Saw a squad of Army solders with weapons at the base of Ari BTS.

And something is happening at Paragon. Two armoured personnel carriers, soldiers with weapons running around, lots of red shirts scrambling out of pickups and hundred of onlookers on the flyovers and at Siam BTS. I was driving and ran right into the middle of it as it was starting, and thankfully managed to get past it before it got blocked.

Red shirts are back at Victory Monument, waving red flags all around at the entrances.

Things aren't looking good....

I posted this in another thread, but maybe it belongs here:

Just got back from a quick drive. One tank is out at the Army base in Phaholyothin Road. Saw a squad of Army solders with weapons at the base of Ari BTS.

And something is happening at Paragon. Two armoured personnel carriers, soldiers with weapons running around, lots of red shirts scrambling out of pickups and hundred of onlookers on the flyovers and at Siam BTS. I was driving and ran right into the middle of it as it was starting, and thankfully managed to get past it before it got blocked.

Red shirts are back at Victory Monument, waving red flags all around at the entrances.

Things aren't looking good....

What kind of tanks are they? Are they the old M4 Walker Bulldogs? The last coup they had the army had spiffed them up and really put a nice shine on them. Maybe the old crappy Stingrays? Possibly M48 Pattons? Does the Thai army have any M60s? Somebody get some pictures quick!

Anarchy.

This is Thaksin's stage two. Third stage is coup. Fourth stage is some kind of military break up or one part of the military being taken over by the other (may not involve any fighting). Fifth stage is Thaksin returning to "clear the mess up".

Anyhow, the tank I just saw isn't really much of a tank. More of a armored vehicle with a gun on top. It was already taken over by reds.

I think the army and police can't do this. Whether because most of the army support the reds or just they haven't a clue or both. Now the army will be scattered to 50 places....they can't handle one spot.

Problem is that Abhisit is too young. Arny generals just aren't going to follow his orders, and the police feel and injustice occured over the PAD which Abihisit failed to resolve. I blame Abhisit for most of the current problems. He had time to heal some of the divisions. He could have arrested the PAD for the airport closures, and indoing so shown to be unbiased and upholding the law over anarchy. HE NOT ONLY DIDN'T BUT congratulated PAD by placing one of their men as the foreign ministry. If Abhisit had arrested the PAD the current problems could not have occured and Thaksin would still be running country from country like a rat.

I guess its too late to do anything now. They need to come down heavy on the reds and hope others' don't join in. But writing from the north east, probably about 60% of everyone is wearing red, so there's plenty.

A short term solution is dissolve the house. I think Abhisis has little choice. Either this or a coup. And a coup is far too risky for the country and Abhisist wouldn't win in any outcome.

On BBC worldnews, defiantly full sized tanks, with red shirts doing vioctory dances on them with wood and steal bars in their hands. The Army guys had big smiles, welcome to LOS !!!! :o

Looks like it will be a new difinition of 'low season' this year. A real shame for the silent majority. ( I don't mean majority as in Red or Yellow shiorts, but the people who's jobs are going to be hit hard, who would want to invest in this joke)

Edited by goofie

On BBC worldnews, defiantly full sized tanks, with red shirts doing vioctory dances on them with wood and steal bars in their hands. The Army guys had big smiles, welcome to LOS !!!! :o

Looks like it will be a new difinition of 'low season' this year. A real shame for the silent majority.

Always knew they should have been colonised by the Brits and had some common sense and honesty knocked into them. You don;t get this sort of carry on in Singapore now do you?

Always knew they should have been colonised by the Brits and had some common sense and honesty knocked into them. You don;t get this sort of carry on in Singapore now do you?

I agree DragonFly. Iam not a Brit. However Iam sure if the Thais were colonized, they

would have alot more common sense :o . eg Malayasia,Singapore

I agree DragonFly. Iam not a Brit. However Iam sure if the Thais were colonized, they

Haha... yeah, and Cambodia, Vietnam, and Burma. Common sense indeed!

Haha... yeah, and Cambodia, Vietnam, and Burma. Common sense indeed!

And the Philippines, "controlled", for hundred of years! LMAO

I once worked in a Thai military office. I always that any potential would just need to wait until 3.30pm by which time the miltary would have all gone home. 3.00 pm on a Friday plus the weekend without anyone to worry about. Most of them are probably off for Songkran and left a few boys to mind the fort.

On the last coup my father saw the tanks on the TV and he told they are the same as when he was in the army (as young man).

I don't know at what age he was at the army but he is 67 years old.

But can't recall the name. He was surprised that such old tanks still work.

On the last coup my father saw the tanks on the TV and he told they are the same as when he was in the army (as young man).

I don't know at what age he was at the army but he is 67 years old.

But can't recall the name. He was surprised that such old tanks still work.

Good that their still using the old tanks if they work - What is the point in spending money on new tanks and for what in Thailand ?

Looks like it will be a new difinition of 'low season' this year. A real shame for the silent majority.

Nothing bad going on in Burma, Afghanistan, Iraq or Zimbabwe either. I like the cut of your logic.

It seems to go from one extreem to another 1) Do nothing , 2) Send in Tanks

Crazy .

I heard that the RE#D leader has been taken down here to Hua Hin's Army base, just north of Hua Hin, and south of Cha-Am, maybe the REDS will mobilize down here to break him out :o

Wow.

You've met some Brit's that have the qualities of common sense and HONESTY?

I'm shocked.

I thought they were made extinct around the time of the Roman occupation.

I hope they are being kept somewhere safe, and a breeding program established.

Actually both sides do have tanks now. The protestors have seized at least two, plus immobilized numerous vehicles from the army. Ther is always a rambo under the protestors who know how to operate machine guns which they seem to have taken too or a tank.

The problem is of course that this government is very very hypocrite. They try to let us believe that seizing the summit was worse than two weeks Bangkok airport seizure. NOBODY is in jail for the airport seizure Than you can expect that the other side copy the methods.

In the end it is entertaining TV because if crooks like Newin are allowed to play a role than this government has no legitimacy either.

. He was surprised that such old tanks still work.

If you get down low enough and look underneath them you will probably see 3 or 4 sets of legs sticking out wearing trainers and looking very muscular. Sadly, the assisted rubber band wind up mechanism can not be seen. :o

Edited by Bangyai

Just watching it on the BBC in the UK. They are not tanks that have been taken they are Armoured personel carriers. The soldiers in them were laughing and smiling with the Reds.

They have also taken at least one tank, most probably two, plus some armored vehicles. Anyhow the army should be very careful if people get killed they will be vilified. Precisely because of that the police will never ever interfere anymore. When they took rightful action on the yellow shirts they were accused of using extreme violence, which they did not, at least not for Thai standards.