My Idea For A Solution To This Crisis...

davejonesbkk

Thaksin is allowed back but his charges are dropped or reduced

Thaksin is banned from politics still

Thaksin's frozen money is partially refunded to him and the rest is used to pay for damages that the reds have caused

Fresh elections are planned but with outside observers(perhaps from the UN?) to ensure no vote buying. Before elections are held both sides have to sit down and agree to accept whatever the outcome of the election is.

Would this work????

point number 4 is exactly what this country needs.What to do about thaki is anyones guess.

Another thing they could do regarding elections is make it compulsory to be on the electoral roll and compulsory to vote.So instead of bribing people to vote,fine them if they dont.

Edited by samuibeachcomber

Might work, but who ever lose the election will no doubt accuse the the winner of vote buying, around and around we go, frankly I think the UN would suck as observers, so who than over to you all. The idea has merit if some how the vote buy thing was not an issue.

You think they should let the guy in who is calling for a revolution? My wife thinks he wants to be President Thaksin. I do agree with point 4 but it would need a lot of election observers, one for every canvasser I'd say.

I don't think thaksin will agree to those terms

personally i would want thaksin to serve his jail time, he committed a crime and the fled the country while on trial.

Thaksin should always be banned from politics (a felony conviction will do that)

Using thaksins frozen money to pay for the damages is a good idea, i doubt there will be any left for him after all is said and done.

I definately agree with monitored elections, it's sad that it has to come to that but it really is necessary. Question is can the UDD accept the results if thaksin is not chosen and can PAD accept the results when he is (by proxy)?

Thaksin's frozen money is partially refunded to him and the rest is used to pay for damages that the reds have caused

Fresh elections are planned but with outside observers(perhaps from the UN?) to ensure no vote buying. Before elections are held both sides have to sit down and agree to accept whatever the outcome of the election is.

Would this work????

Even if charges are reduced, he doesn't stand a chance in the courts (he doesn't appear to have many sympathizers there) and thus he doesn't have the will to even attempt to make a comeback. I think it would only handicap him politically. Thaksin is not an idiot, he knows that his current political agenda is best served by him remaining in the capacity that he is currently in. He will never ride triumphantly through the streets of Rome, it just won't happen, but he will continue to be very effective on the outside. Thaksin knows he is the best position, the most effective position. If he tried this from the inside he would be in violation of the greater authority and he knows it.

Thaksin knows what he is doing.

Edited by Digitalman

Thaksin is allowed back but his charges are dropped or reduced [b]Resounding NO[/b] otherwise it sets a percedent for others to appeal.

Thaksin is banned from politics still Of course but banned needs to be defined.

Thaksin's frozen money is partially refunded to him Why? and the rest is used to pay for damages that the reds have caused[/b] No let the "reds pay for the damage they cause.

Fresh elections are planned but with outside observers(perhaps from the UN?) to ensure no vote buying. Before elections are held both sides have to sit down and agree to accept whatever the outcome of the election is. Unfortunately this AGREEMENT will never happen

Would this work???? Not in my opinion

Would this work????

Thaksin doesn't believe he did anythign wrong, but even prior to the coup, the election was annulled and there was clear proof that he and this executive deliberately attempted to defraud the electorate by buying off smaller parties to stand against them, and also anyway, the result was null since some seats standing unopposed some MPs were not able to get in. So you cannot really forigve the 111 and let them back into politics. And despite the ban, we see most of them openly flaunting it 'unofficially' on both sides now.

With regards to corruption, as the leader at the time, he needs to stand responsible for his actions, and so far only a few have gone to trial, if he is guilty (and the evidence on things like the Ua Athorn housing, elite card, various airport deals etc is overwhelming, as is the tax evasion of his family) then why should he or they get off - in fact if anything he should be the first to actually be shown that 'crime does not pay' - it has to start at some point; didn't start with his sidekick's sons (Chalerm) but with great power comes great responsibility.

Yes, most frozen money probably should be returned less any fines; it is, after all, his cash. Red shirts aren't anythign to do with him directly, so no legal basis to use his money to pay for their actions (despite that we all know otherwise, it is the same logic as the airport, chasing the individuals who camped out there is a legal route to no where as there is not a decent legal basis to hit up one person).

5 years ban should stand, they are almost 1/2 way through it.

So...with all of that, there is no way he goes for it; he was already given the sweetheart deal prior to the olympics; an unwritten, thanks f&*wad now please f&*k off and keep quiet, and eventually we'll get your money back to you on the sly; same deal as most politiciains.....since he believes he has done nothing wrong, he will do anythign to get his cash back.

Anyone knowing the background of how he got the AIS deal and how he sold it or his asset declaration would know the guy has no real desire to pay tax or 'what he owes' so why try proposing solutions like this, he won't keep his side of the deal unless it is change the constitution, get his 111 executive back, give him all his money back, let him shag Lydia et al, and possibly allow him to continue to write whatever FTAs and deals he wants with a whos who of corrupt businessmen worldwide.

Edited by bertlamar

Would this work????

Even if charges are reduced, he doesn't stand a chance and thus doesn't have the will to even attempt to make a comeback. All indications would suggest that he doesn't stand a chance in the court. I think it would only handicap him politically. Thaksin is not an idiot, he knows that his current political agenda is best served in the capacity that he is currently in. He will never ride triumphantly through the streets of Rome, it just won't happen, but he will continue to be very effective on the outside. Thaksin knows he is the best position, the most effective position. If he tried this from the inside he would be in violation of the greater authority and he knows it.

open up thaksins seized funds and offer each red 10, 000 baht to go home and enjoy sohgkran with their family

bangkok would empty faster than zeus can thow lightening bolts

Would this work????

Even if charges are reduced, he doesn't stand a chance and thus doesn't have the will to even attempt to make a comeback. All indications would suggest that he doesn't stand a chance in the court. I think it would only handicap him politically. Thaksin is not an idiot, he knows that his current political agenda is best served in the capacity that he is currently in. He will never ride triumphantly through the streets of Rome, it just won't happen, but he will continue to be very effective on the outside. Thaksin knows he is the best position, the most effective position. If he tried this from the inside he would be in violation of the greater authority and he knows it.

open up thaksins seized funds and offer each red 10, 000 baht to go home and enjoy sohgkran with their family

I disagree, I believe that there are those who are calling for elements of change. In my opinion, I feel on each side there are social movements that have been hijacked by political powers only to be used for their own advantage. The problem is real, and it goes beyond money. It is just so unfortunate because elements of Thai society really need a just voice to lead them, instead they found Thaksin, or is it Thaksin found them?

Would this work????

I disagree, I believe that there are those who are calling for elements of change. In my opinion, I feel on each side there are social movements that have been hijacked by political powers only to be used for their own advantage. The problem is real, and it goes beyond money. It is just so unfortunate because elements of Thai society really need a just voice to lead them, instead they found Thaksin, or is it Thaksin found them?

NOW LET ME THINK ABOUT THIS?

500 baht and risk a bullet

or

10,000 baht and go home?

the hardliners may stay and that would be a good thing

it would sort out the wheat from the chaff and make it a simple turkey shoot to resolve

:o Keep it simple !

Whoever wins a new election committed fraude !

There is NO serious un-corrupt party nor politician in Thailand !

So whatever is the result,there will be trouble !

So lets keep it simple !

Elections,YES !

But no parties !

Anyone who feels capable can enlist for a job,let's say prime minister.

The job will be UNPAID !

It will be an honour job !

Those on this list and not elected,can check out if the "elected"is doing

his job seriously .If not he (and his accomplices)will be hanged and all his welth and that from his familywill

go to the poor.

Every elected politician,will have a list to accomplish,he knows this before he applies for the job.

After 1 year we see if he did what he promised.If he didn'f : he will be hanged.............

You understand that the list of candidates will be not so long !

Only true honnest people will aply ,becouse there is notting to steal !

please react :D

Would this work????

It would work, but Thaksin's lot would get re-elected, causing the PAD to protest, toppling the government, causing the Reds to protest, and so on. The PAD would never believe that any elected government except the Democrats is not influenced by Thaksin.

Can't see how either side is going to save face on this issue - the country has become completely polarised over it.

Fresh elections are planned but with outside observers(perhaps from the UN?) to ensure no vote buying.

Would this work????

Nope, too many work permits required. :o

at time of election they would still sit at the immigration and sign papers.

There would be an even easier way to fix the issue:

A. Charge Taksin under terrorism charges for basically subverting the government from his proxy position

-> introduce such terrorism laws if they don't exist.

B. Make the charges known internationally, wait for everyone to start blacklisting him

C. He gets sent home

D. Jail for life.

It would work, but Thaksin's lot would get re-elected, causing the PAD to protest, toppling the government, causing the Reds to protest, and so on. The PAD would never believe that any elected government except the Democrats is not influenced by Thaksin.

Can't see how either side is going to save face on this issue - the country has become completely polarised over it.

I doubt that Thaksin would get in; this is the myth from Thaksin....at the moment they can't get a majority in the house and the number of defectors is likely to grow not shrink as the majority of the country (excluding upcountry thugs perhaps) are probably not particularly enjoying watching face covering red shirt thugs wandering around Bangkok uninvited.

As long as Newin, Sanoh, Khunpluem and a couple of other factions aren't joining with the Thaksin side (and now there is a chasm) then they simply don't have the numbers. The only way they could get the numbers would be to get the 111 back and allowed to stand again.

We've already seen that the TRT policies only worked in good times globally; last year as times got harder, they did nothing to improve anything other than trying to get Thaksin off and get the 111 back in.

The myth is dying by the day.

Why do we need another election? We already have an elected majority coalition now.

Best solution :

- All protest leaders (Red and Yellow) get a 10 years suspended sentence and banned for life from politic

- Blanket amnesty for all politicians (for those who worry to see Thaksin back, he still convicted and banned as a protest leader)

- New election, who ever win win and everybody agree not to contest in any way the result.

Most probable solution :

People get sick of this mess, the Army tried and failed, the Democrats tried and failed, all other forms of coalition tried and failed. Then you know where I'm going .... people realize that Thaksin is worst PM except all the others that have been tried ...

As long as Newin, Sanoh, Khunpluem and a couple of other factions aren't joining with the Thaksin side (and now there is a chasm) then they simply don't have the numbers. The only way they could get the numbers would be to get the 111 back and allowed to stand again.

These Thai coalition partners are notoriously fickle, and they side with anyone whom they believe has the most support, making up various excuses when changing sides to cover up for their disloyalty. They are always welcomed with open arms, if they help to make up the numbers. Look at the way Newin, an outspoken critic of Abhisit, grovelled to him as soon as he was selected to be the new PM and it looked like Thaksin was finally a gonner. If the coalition elements see that Thaksin, or anyone else, has a mandate, they queue up to join in and gain the power which they themselves would not be able to get. Thai politics is a dog-eat-dog world - loyalty is not part of the vocabulary.

We've already seen that the TRT policies only worked in good times globally; last year as times got harder, they did nothing to improve anything other than trying to get Thaksin off and get the 111 back in.

The myth is dying by the day.

Why do we need another election? We already have an elected majority coalition now.

I don't see how we can describe as 'elected' a government that has been installed after a military then a judicial coup, toppling one that was democratically elected by a majority. All that happened was that coalition elements had no other choice than to join the government that was being moulded by the army and the judiciary. At that time, Thaksin and the Reds were viewed as defeated, a spent force, so support for hs party rapidly dwindled, but could just as easily return if Thaksin is seen to be regaining strength. As stated above, coalition partners in Thailand jump into whichever camp they believe is winning, so don't be surprised if they all run for Thaksin, as soon as he appears to have majority popular support and is unfettered by the powers that be.

The grass roots Thais, who make up the majority, see things is black and white - they recall that Thaksin improved their lives in a way that was not previously seen, and they like him for it. They see him as a man who walks the walk, while other politicians could only ever talk the talk. He is now tapping into that support and creating a class struggle to get back into power. The fact that this generosity toward the masses coincided with an economic boom is of no consequence to your average Thai peasant, and is not even understood at all. All they care about is who put money into their pockets, and they believe that this can be repeated and that the money will flow their way again if Thaksin gets back in.

Now that he is gaining momentum, don't be surprised to see Thaksin getting majority support and winning the next election, as he did previously. He is revelling in martyr status. With the Reds now paralysing the country, and far outnumbering the PAD, it is hard to envisage any outcome, barring perhaps Royal intervention and even that might not work, that does not involve either an election or murder of civilians by the army on a grand scale that would be more reminiscent of Myanmar.

I don't like Thaksin, but he was a democratically elected civilian Prime Minister who had a mandate. The PAD made a huge mistake by setting a precedent for mob rule and ignoring the will of the majority - they should have defeated Thaksin at the ballot box, not on the streets, and now the whole country is paying for it.

Edited by dbrenn

Best solution :

people realize that Thaksin is worst PM except all the others that have been tried ...

Very good! :o

I usually don't like when people edit my post to make me say something I didn't say but as this time it was what I thought, I will make an exception :D

It's shocking how many of you sympathize with this crook. He should go to prison, get only the money back that is left after he paid for the damage done and of course be banned from politics.

They're all crooks who call each other crooks - welcome to Thailand

Would this work????

Yeah that'll fix it. Nice 1.

It's shocking how many of you sympathize with this crook. He should go to prison, get only the money back that is left after he paid for the damage done and of course be banned from politics.

None of the money was his to start with - HE STOLE IT !

And I think it's shocking how many of you have this obsession with Thaksin.. Without seeing the elephant in the room. Oh well.