Arrest Warrants Issued For 14 Red Shirt Leaders And Thaksin

bangkokrick

So they clearly advocate the use of elections, they are arguing over the amount of influence they should have in the appointment of MPs.

Heck, even the appointment of the 70% would be with elections from within their respective fields...

Can you explain the role of elections for the appointed 70% of the MPs?

Try reading my post, it should be quite clear as to what [PAD/some of them] wanted.

Unless you think they would use lottery within the respected fields or go ini-mini-mainie-mo...

:)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The PAD has changed their stance on that since around the prehistoric age I think. You still wanna talk about it? And if the PAD were so hellbent on being anti-democratic as you purported to, why did they change? Why did they listen to people who questioned or opposed it?

If I'm not wrong they said that the 70/30 ratio was flexible.

So they clearly advocate the use of elections, they are arguing over the amount of influence they should have in the appointment of MPs.

Heck, even the appointment of the 70% would be with elections from within their respective fields...

Try reading my post, it should be quite clear as to what [PAD/some of them] wanted.

Unless you think they would use lottery within the respected fields or go ini-mini-mainie-mo...

:)

Are there anything clever here? How exactly do you hold elections within your respected field, and who are voting?

Edited by chrislarsson

Are there anything clever here?

Yeah, obviously. :):D

How exactly do you hold elections within your respected field,

I'm sure this is not that hard of a problem of HOW if majority of Thais could agree to hold elections in such a way. You think human beings would never be able to find a way to hold such elections? :D If this type of election does happen, it would be for the benefits of everyone in Thailand. The representatives would hopefully be the real representatives of the people who really serve the people's interests, not their own or their family's. They would be certainly different from nowadays' professional politicians. It sure would be quite a change from today's politics, wouldn't it? And how exactly is it not democratic? Huh?

and who are voting?

People in the respective professional fields? Who else? :D:D

Are there anything clever here? How exactly do you hold elections within your respected field, and who are voting?

Other than the whole idea being thrown out long ago by PAD et al,

it would be a return to something like the classic Guild System of Europe.

But the ONLY reason PAD ever proposed the 70/30 was to rid the electoral process,

of the TRT / Thaksin political machine and it's corrupt control over al large percentage

of the country and it's regional electorate.

No to deprive the average person of a vote,

but more to free them from their Thaksin created / subjugation via manipulation.

If there was an even playing field for ALL candidates and no beatings and murders

and puyai manipulations PAD would not be bothered with that.

70/30 was nothing more then ONE of MANY proposals to clean up Thailands politics.

Edited by animatic

I'm sure this is not that hard of a problem of HOW if majority of Thais could agree to hold elections in such a way. You think human beings would never be able to find a way to hold such elections? :D If this type of election does happen, it would be for the benefits of everyone in Thailand. The representatives would hopefully be the real representatives of the people who really serve the people's interests, not their own or their family's. They would be certainly different from nowadays' professional politicians. It sure would be quite a change from today's politics, wouldn't it? And how exactly is it not democratic? Huh?

and who are voting?

Are there any other countries with this kind of democracy?

70/30 was nothing more then ONE of MANY proposals to clean up Thailands politics.

I don't think it was ever a PAD policy or proposal. It was put forward by someone on the stage (Sondhi? Chamlong?...?), but the official PAD Announcement Number 20/2008 stated that "The proposal on the PAD stage of a 70:30 ratio of public representatives to elected representatives is merely an example of how the old-style politics should be replaced and is open to discussions."

But the ONLY reason PAD ever proposed the 70/30 was to rid the electoral process,

of the TRT / Thaksin political machine and it's corrupt control over al large percentage

but more to free them from their Thaksin created / subjugation via manipulation.

If there was an even playing field for ALL candidates and no beatings and murders

I think I'm beginning to understand. When Thaksin said democracy is not his goal, his one of the most evil men in the world. When PAD is saying that they don't want democracy, it's just one proposal of many.

and who are voting?

I would have to say that I would wait until pigs flew to believe that an election could be held in Thailand that would be for "the benefit of everyone". Like it or not, the farmers represent 20mn people in the country, the situation is to live with it or live with Chinese style democracy where important industries get mandatory seats. The so called civil service or state employee is already massively padded in their benefits over the common man in Thailand.

Do you honestly believe that these people are more or less corrupt than anyone else simply because they come from a "professional" body? EGAT and such "professional" organisations are absolutely rife with corruption so why should their position be of any greater importance than a humble farmer.

It is better to encourage the union or organisation leaders to run for election and campaign nationally or within their constituencies than to state that a given organisation should be granted a parliamentary seat. The PAD model is classic modern Chinese government where leaders of important industries are granted politburo seats. Of course, to get elected to such a seat in China, there are free fair, and transparent elections!

One could argue that such organisations are under represented, but at the same time so are many others, and rather than tearing up the current system and replacing it with another, I believe it would be infinitely better to clean up the current system.

I am glad the PAD backed down about their idea. It may have been cooked up to gain union support since Thaksin wanted to privatise them anyway. They are fair game to be accused of whatever type of "ism" one can call this type of idea, since someone within their leadership did say it!

I think I'm beginning to understand. When Thaksin said democracy is not his goal, his one of the most evil men in the world. When PAD is saying that they don't want democracy, it's just one proposal of many.

Uh, what? Obviously you are not beginning to understand anything.

Thaksinistans claim he is pro-democracy but both his words and actions contradict it and he has been in power.

PAD put out a suggestion, amongst many, that seem to have been withdrawn and they have never been in power.

(And the suggestion's aim was to reduce electorial fraud and misconduct issues, which could be seen as protecting democracy in the long run. But anyway, withdrawn so moot.)

Do you understand the difference?

Thaksin was allegedly evil in that he was grandly duplicitous WHILE IN OFFICE,

and was actively making profits using his position.

Which he had garnered via said political machine.

He was actively working to cut back all Democratic principles and FUNCTIONS that effected HIS CONTROL.

If he had stayed relatively light handed or 'typical' with his graft efforts,

he likely would be still the greatest PM the country ever had, and still in office.

But his hubris and greed overwhelmed what little common sense he had.

The PAD on the other hand is not in office and has every right to make public proposals

on possible ways to correct the issues of the day in Thailand.

By the way PAD never said they don't want democracy.

They said the present 'so called democracy' is not working properly,

and proposed SEVERAL ways to correct that in the long run.

They never said anything about ending democracy completely, nor forever.

There are much more evil en in this world that Thaksin Shinawatra.

But in this case his particular actions both past and current impact DIRECTLY

on the land I live in, not comment on from far off or based on several visits.

I live here I have seen the effects, and most or least evil is irrelevant,

I am protesting the devil that affects my life, not some hypothetical

or distant evil in another sphere.

Further investigation requested on UDD crowd dispersal during Songkran

BANGKOK, 12 May 2009 (NNT) – Puea Thai Party has asked the National Human Rights Commission of Thailand (NHRC) to probe the use of weapons and force used to disperse the crowd of the United Front of Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) supporters.

Puea Thai Party Spokesperson Prompong Nopparit, accompanied by some other Puea Thai MPs, filed a complaint to NHRC against government officials and political position holders involved with the use of force and weapons in the dispersal of anti-government protesters during 13-14 April 2009. Mr. Prompong said that currently, his party had been receiving complaints from people who lost their relatives during the crowd dispersal by military personnel.

The Spokesperson cited that the Government and officials involved with this case had violated section 253 and 257(1) in the law of human rights according to the constitution. In addition, Mr. Prompong said that it was against the Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) that Thailand had inked with the United Nations on 29 October 1996. Therefore, NHRC was obliged to investigate whether human rights were violated or not under Mr. Abhisit’s Government.

He commented that this request is done under the same standard of the previous government since the crowd dispersal during former Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat was also investigated.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 12 May 2009

(article here)

The PAD has changed their stance on that since around the prehistoric age I think. You still wanna talk about it? And if the PAD were so hellbent on being anti-democratic as you purported to, why did they change? Why did they listen to people who questioned or opposed it?

If you ask me, I say PAD no longer comes out. Their leader being shot shows that PAD is no longer a need. Now they have the blues who look a lot like PAD.

PAD said 70% should be appointed. I understand that those people among the ruling class will be chosen as they are a lot better, educated, polite and clean.

30% will come from election by people. Because Thais in general in PAD's view don't know about rights and wrongs, uneducated, can by bought by a few hundred Baht, have no famous family names and so on.

I thought PAD changed it to 50/50.

Red leaders are released on bail with conditions.

One is they are not allowed to go out of Thailand.

Two is they are not allowed to instigate people doing wrong things.

From what I know, Sondhi is not in Thailand now. Double standard as always.

The red leaders were back to the stage on 10th May at Wat Phai Kiew:

Why not? That was the way that most democratic (ignoring slaves, foreigners and women) of city states, Athens, selected its council of 500 (boule).

It is better to encourage the union or organisation leaders to run for election and campaign nationally or within their constituencies than to state that a given organisation should be granted a parliamentary seat.

Excuse me, but that's sheer nonsense. I don't even know what makes you hope that, after decades of trying in vain. No representative of teachers/farmers/small traders has ever made it into parliament. Never. Even dogs would eventually learn that it doesn't work.

A teacher representative, for example, will never ever get elected because teachers make only very small percentage of voters, and if they campaign for votes of the entire consituency they won't be representing teachers anymore. The system effectively bars professional representatives from entry into politiics.

That's why we have a nurse in charge of Information and Communications Ministry, before that we had a guy who couldn't use e-mail, and before that we had a spa operator. There's 21st century outside, for christsakes.

Are there any other countries with this kind of democracy?

Hong Kong.

Probe Committee on Red-Shirt Riot to Summon Concerned Individuals

The probe committee charged with looking into the red-shirt riot met for the first time yesterday and revealed its 45-day execution plan, which includes summonses for concerned individuals from various sectors to give their accounts of the Songkran riot.

Following the first meeting of the probe committee, presided over by chairman Somsak Boonthong, it was revealed that the committee will be requesting documents from relevant agencies and hearing testimony from witnesses as to the events surrounding the Songkran riot.

These accounts will be considered as the panel works to establish the truth about the incident.

The people to be summoned will have an opportunity to speak before the panel on May 18 to 20. However, the committee has not yet determined who it will summon, as this is contingent upon a discussion between the chairman and the vice chairman of the probe committee, which will take place at a later date.

However, the methods to be used during the investigation have not been finalised.

Police Lieutenant Colonel Somchai Petprasert, the Pheu Thai Party representative serving on the probe committee, revealed that in the meeting, panel members agreed to call in only those who were really involved in or affected by the incident and who are in a position to answer questions regarding the incident.

These individuals would come from seven sectors: the protesters, the government, the police, the army, the civil service, the public and non-partisan groups. The committee will try to establish the truth as far as possible. However, a sub-committee may be set up to conduct an in-depth investigation into any further questions that may arise.

The first meeting of the probe committee was held yesterday, but the press was not allowed to sit in. Subsequent meetings of the committee will be broadcasted via parliamentary radio, except when a third-party is mentioned or there is content that might affect national security.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 13 May 2009

article here

Opposition Party asks UN to look into Songkran mayhem

BANGKOK, 13 May 2009 (NNT) - Opposition party members led by Puea Thai spokesman Prompong Nopparit bring video clips and photos to the United Nations (UN) to call for an investigation into the government's crackdown on protests by the United front of Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD).

Mr. Prompong said authorities had infringed upon human rights and abused their power beyond legal frameworks during the crackdown. He stated further that the party planned to seek cooperation from human rights organizations worldwide in probing the matter.

The spokesman said relatives of the UDD protesters disappearing after the crackdown were scared to file complaints with the police.

The party would gather more information concerning the incident and hand it to the UN and other related human rights organizations for further investigations, said the spokesman.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 13 May 2009

article here

199-1.jpgArisman-AP.jpg

Singer-turned-politician former MP from Banned Thai Rak Thai Party and current Red Shirt Leader Arisman Phongruangrong

Arisman Ponggruengrong, before (music CD cover) and after

More red-shirt leaders turn themselves in

Three red-shirt leaders were released on bail after they turned themselves in yesterday to face charges in connection with the Songkran Day riots.

Red-shirt leaders Arisman Pongruangrong and Adisorn Piangket surrendered at the Metropolitan Police Bureau headquarters yesterday morning, while Surachai "Saedan" Danwattananusorn surrendered at a police station in Nakhon Si Thammarat.

Police later released Arisman and Adisorn on Bt500,000 bail each after they agreed to three conditions: not to leave the country, not to organise political rallies or incite any unrest and not to interfere with police investigation.

Police Summon Red-Shirt Leaders for Violations of Bail Conditions

Red-shirt leaders who were released on bail are being summoned by police again for allegedly participating in anti-government activities that violate the conditions of their bail.

Investigators from Metropolitan Police Division 1 have issued summons for senior leaders of the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship who were released on bail after their arrests last month on charges of inciting public chaos.

Police say the red-shirt leaders may have violated the terms of their bail by participating in an anti-government rally at Sanam Luang. During the rally they called on their supporters to pressure the government during the ASEAN Summit scheduled for next month in Phuket.

The summons required the suspects to report to police today, but the deadline was relaxed until Tuesday.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2009-05-13

Anti-government protesters to hold events marking Black May anniversary

BANGKOK, May 14 (TNA) - Anti-government protesters of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) will hold four days of speeches and a parade in the Thai capital, starting Friday, to mark the 17th anniversary of “Bloody May” in 1992.

Major events to be held during the period include a plan to destroy and burn deposit books of Bangkok Bank by UDD members on Saturday in protest against the bank which the UDD charges that it has supported the present coalition government of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva.

On Sunday morning, Buddhist religious rites will be held at the Democracy Monument to be followed by a candle-lit procession in memory of people who were killed during “Bloody May”.

Hundreds of people were killed and many remain missing after the military in May 1992 under the government of then prime minister Gen. Suchinda Kraprayoon opened fire on demonstrators calling for his resignation who had seized power in a bloodless coup.

The bloody massacre ended after His Majesty the King intervened and Gen. Suchinda resigned from his short-lived premiership.

Also, UDD leaders are organising a dinner event on May 23 to raise funds for their movement as well as launching a Thai-language weekly newspaper called the ‘Red News’.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-05-13

Have we lost our humanity over the shade of a shirt?

By Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation

Published on May 13, 2009

Hatred towards those of different political colours reached alarming new heights last Saturday night when a man wielding a samurai sword stabbed and slashed a red-shirted woman to death and wounded another in Nakhon Ratchasima.

"Are you red-shirted people? Was my boss Sondhi [Limthongkul, the yellow-shirted People's Alliance for Democracy leader] shot because of you people or not?" was the question posed by 33-year-old Pratheep Trairat-rudee, the killer, as quoted by the Daily News newspaper on Sunday.

Pornsiri Otsansri was busy eating her noodles and didn't bother to reply. She didn't even get to finish her soup as she was stabbed twice on her back and slashed on her neck by Pratheep.

In the current climate of deep political divide, some people have literally gone colour mad. One red-shirt leader told a symposium on Sunday it was not safe for him to wear red in public so he would rather keep his red identity in his heart.

The killer didn't really know if Pornsiri, the victim, was a member of the red-shirted, pro-Thaksin Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship (DAAD) or not, but the political identity has been literally thrust upon her by this yellow-shirted pro-People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) assailant.

She has been made "the other" and dehumanised as an object of hatred and this writer would argue that some red-shirted protesters also see those with yellow shirts as their enemy.

Notice the absence of red-shirted leaders expressing any sense of sorrow or regret about the deaths of two Nang Lerng residents back on the night of April 13 when the two killed were amongst those residents who clashed with people who were supposedly red shirts.

Some red-shirted leaders still insist some of those donning red on that night were in fact agents provocateur sent in to make the reds look bad and kill the two men.

However, no one can deny that the fatalities occurred in the Nang Lerng area of Bangkok. And so the question is whether the loss of two human lives is not enough to warrant some form of sympathy on the part of the red shirts and why?

Is it because those killed "are not red-shirts", and thus "the other", otherwise they would have been mourned by the thousands of reds and lauded as their "martyrs"? How then does it differ from the samurai sword killing incident in which the PAD's mouthpiece - ASTV-Manager daily newspapers - didn't even bother to report about it on Monday?

It's now quite apparent that there's a need to keep political conflict as "civil" as possible with as little hatred as possible.

Your political opponent, people donning a different shirt colour for political reasons, need not be viewed as evil personified and warranting a vigilante death sentence. They deserve the same standard of emotional treatment.

In a democracy, they should merely be viewed as political opponents with different political beliefs worthy of respect, as they all do care about politics to lesser or greater extent.

Ask yourself whether you negatively and automatically react to the colour red or yellow (or both) due to your political beliefs or not.

If the answer is yes, then this is not a good sign because your hatred has apparently been coloured and deeply ingrained to a symbolic level.

Perhaps cultivating a new appreciation or even fondness for the colour of your political opponent is worth trying.

It may sound romantic or irrelevant but actually there's a valid and serious cause for concern when hatred is tinted beyond reason and brings out the worse in human instincts and reactions as it inscribes those with the "wrong" colour, or wrong political beliefs, as their enemy, subject to dehumanisation and abuse.

This colour issue must be earnestly addressed before it degenerates into something even worse.

Let no political ideology or group deny you the beauty of the colours yellow and red. Lets tackle colour discrimination now because blue, green and white are quickly becoming politically abused too.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation May 13, 2009

article here

Police offer rewards to locate attackers in Interior Ministry

Police have put a bounty of Bt50,000 for each suspect who allegedly was involved in the attack of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's motorcade in the Interior Ministry's compound.

Among them, police could identify one; Suporn Attawaong, a former Nakhon Ratchasima MP of defunct People Power Party.

- The Nation / 2009-04-19

==================================

Fact check:

Actually Suporn is a banned MP from the Thai Rak Thai Party (TRT Banned #48). After his banning, he had his brother Samphat run in the election as a People Power Party candidate.

Suporn has an interesting background....

Additional information on the in-fighting amongst the Thai Rak Thai Party...

173943__rambo_l.jpg

(Due to the unavailability of a photo of Suporn Attawong, I have opted for one of his namesake)

Former TRT Party's 'Rambo' shot and wounded in ambush

Nakhon Ratchasima - A former Thai Rak Thai MP was slightly injured when shot on Sunday night and he says he believes the motive was political. Suporn Attawong, also known as 'Rambo,' was attacked while driving home on Khon Buri-Soeng Sang road in Khon Buri district about 11.25 pm, after dinner with a senior local police officer in Soeng Sang district. He said a group of armed men in a pick-up truck without a registration plate number opened fire at his car. He briefly returned fire, got out of the car and hid in a cassava field for about half an hour. Mr Suporn, a three-time MP for Nakhon Ratchasima's constituency 12, believed the attack was political. He said a rival he refused to name wanted to be elected in the general election. Mr Suporn is one of the 111 former executive members of TRT banned from politics for five years by the Constitution Tribunal on May 30. Mr Suporn said although he was not allowed to hold office for the time being, he was not opting out of politics and was looking for a capable person to run in his constituency. (Incidentally, he's #48 on the List of Banned Thai Rak Thai executives who are banned from political activity for 5 years).

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/03Jul2007_news07.php

================================================================================

In typical Rambo fashion, it's great that he decided to open fire (perhaps with a M-60 machine gun as pictured above and that Rambo seemed to prefer), but what on Earth is this nonsense about hiding in a cassava field for half an hour like a sissy??!!? :) Rambo would never do that. He would have stormed the attackers with nothing more than a Bowie knife, if need be.

btw, any real photos of Suporn 'Rambo' Atthawong would be appreciated.

Update:

I was able to locate photos of Suporn (including one from the shooting described above)... and uhmm... he's not exactly what I portrayed above nor was he what I imagined he might look like...

"Issan Rambo" Suporn Atthawong:

showpicasp.jpg7d05d766.jpg

151955_002.jpg

Investigators Seek Indictment of Red-Shirt Leader

Police investigators have sought indictment of a core leader of the anti-government Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship for allegedly instigating chaos during the state of emergency in Bangkok last month.

Investigators from the Dusit police station today brought Suporn Attawong, a top leader of the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship, or DAAD, to the special public prosecutors' office at Dusit District Court to request his indictment.

Suporn has been accused of inciting chaos among DAAD anti-government protesters during the state of emergency in the capital last month. He has denied the charges and refused to answer police questions, saying he would answer the charges only in a court of law.

Public prosecutors said they will decide on May 13 whether to prosecute Suporn.

A group of DAAD supporters rallied outside the Dusit police station today in a show of support for Suporn.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2009-05-07

UDD core-leader submits to arrest

BANGKOK, 14 May 2009 (NNT) - One of the United Fronts for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) core-figure surrendered to police after an arrest warrant was issued against him today.

The UDD core-leader Suporn Uttawong, alias Rambo Issan, surrounded by his supporters earlier turned himself in to police.

He then traveled to Samranrat Police Station to listen to additional charges against him and was investigated by Acting Commissioner of Metropolitan Police Division 6 Police Colonel Wallop Patummuang and Police Colonel Samarn Rodkamnerd.

He was charged with manipulating the UDD protesters to attack the Interior Ministry and incited them to create social turmoil during Songkran mayhem on April 12.

Suporn denied all allegations against him while claiming that his speech and actions were constitutional aiming at demanding true democracy.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2009-05-14

The saga continues. One of the red shirt leaders, Jatuporn, now claims Abhisit was in not in the car when it was attacked. Let's just rewrite everything, regardless of facts. Bless my soul, I keep forgetting that the red shirts are nothing more than totally innocent angels, and any violence, destruction, or attacks cannot ever be committed by them.

Jatuporn: PM not in attacked car

The trashing of the prime minister's bullet-proof car at the Ministry of the Interior during the Bangkok protests last month was carried out by soldiers wearing red shirts, according to UDD leader Jatuporn Promphan.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's statement he was in the vehicle with Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban when it came under attack by protestors was a lie, Jatuporn said.

Bangkok Post » Poll

PM Abhisit said he was in a car that was attacked by UDD protesters. The UDD claim he was in another car. Who do you believe?

PM = 93.2%

UDD = 6.8%

* Voters: 10,943

http://www.bangkokpost.com/poll/1310/aaaaaaaaa