Uk National Marrying In Thailand

:o Hi Folks I'm trying to help my Bro get married to his TGF in Bangkok next month, Need help quick as time is running out they are returning to Thailand on the 4th of May. Ive helped her come to Wales twice on a Tourist Visa now she's ready to marry in Thailand and return here on a Marriage visa. I'm getting together all the usual proof It's the actual wedding and registration I need to sort out for them. They have a two year old son "Samson" born in Thailand and they all want to live now in the UK as a family, So folks can you help? Where do they go and how much will it cost?

:D Khop Koon Carr

He will need to visit the Uk Embassy in Bangkok and get an Afirmation to Marry document. This will take a couple of days and cost 2,756 Baht. The couple can then go to any amphur armed with the ladies ID Card and House Registration plus the mans Passport and Embassy document and register the marriage for a few Baht.

Others will be able to give more details.

Information on the Afirmation Document here. http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for...gister-marriage

Lite Beer

you forgot the MFA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CharlieMike 11

First goto the British Embassy with the Affirmation to Marry, collect the next working day.

Get this translated into Thai, offices around the Embassy, near BTS Phloen Chit.

This translation and the original then need to be presented at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

on Chaengwattana Road, if your brother does not go, he needs to sign a form giving his

GF permission to submit the form, alternatively some of the translations services will charge

you extra and do this part for you.

Then when you have the form stamped by the MFA, your brother can goto the Amphur

and get married, Bangsue is usually good and quick (need 2 witnesses), one who can speak

English and Thai, as sometimes the wife to be cannot translate for her future husband. Collect

all the Wedding certificates, then next morning be at the Visa application office, and submit

all documentation, can be found on their website.

The whole Wedding thing should take 2 days if you use the quick service at MFA, if not it

will take 2 days plus the 1 day at the Embassy, the Visa application is going to be the problem

area, this can take a long time, tell your brother to be prepared for a long wait, maybe 10days

or more.

Use the squelch button in future!!!!!!!!

You needed it five years ago if you got married in Thailand. Having the Embassy document translated and certified by MFA has been a requirement for many years.

Maybe so but we did not. We got it translated.

EDIT.

I tell a lie. Just looked at it and there is a MFA Stamp.

We got an agency to do the whole process. Which inluding us registering the Marriage without the Embassy Document.

They collected the Afirmation from the Embassy the next day. So who knows what tricks they used.

Do you have a copy? They should not - and I can say for sure two offices in Bangkok and one in Lopburi would not - accept without a registration number from the MFA on the translation. This was about 15 years ago.

Maybe it is my narrow eyes that make me look suspect? But I have never heard of anyone being able to marry without that translation being registered with MFA. The District Office is supposed to verify it before allowing the marriage certificate to be issued. Below is the direct quote from the regulations they work under:

A Letter of Certification, issued by an Embassy or Consulate or a Government Organization from their country, regarding the marital status of the person. The Letter must be translated, then certified by the relevant Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

http://www.dopa.go.th/English/servi/marry.htm

This being Thailand I can only assume they had an arangment with the amphur where they took the Afirmation the next day for a small fee.

We arrived at the agents office near the British Embassy at 9.00 am and had the Marriage Cerificate before 11.00 Am.

We recieved the afirmation documents in the post about 2 weeks later. Not only us but others we knew on Samui also used this service.

Would it not be better to marry in the UK or not possible on a Tourist Visa?

It will be a lot cheaper and easier in Bangkok

And you can no longer marry in the UK on a tourist visa :o

When did that come in ???

I got married to the Thai Mrs in Glasgow in 1996, She had a tourist visa for the Uk, obtained in Bkk.

This being Thailand I can only assume they had an arangment with the amphur where they took the Afirmation the next day for a small fee.

We arrived at the agents office near the British Embassy at 9.00 am and had the Marriage Cerificate before 11.00 Am.

We recieved the afirmation documents in the post about 2 weeks later. Not only us but others we knew on Samui also used this service.

Correct - it is a fee based service. Am sure you will find the document has been registered if you check the file in office now.

Would it not be better to marry in the UK or not possible on a Tourist Visa?

It will be a lot cheaper and easier in Bangkok

And you can no longer marry in the UK on a tourist visa :o

I believe there is a Marriage Visitor Visa, but both applicants must leave the country at the end of their visa.

Alright Taff.

I married in 2005(i think).I had the usual village ceremony.Like one of the guys pointed out, this is not official.I used a company in BKK to deal with everything.They had me inside the embassy very quickly then to some office to sort some other paperwork out.Job done.If you need to know more send me a message.

As others have said, around the junction of Sukhumvit Road and the road that the UK embassy is in there are numerous translation offices. Use one of these, for a small cost they will do absolutely everything. They will accompany you to the embassy for youir affirmation then they will translate and take to get the official stamp and deliver the finished article to your hotel. After the legal ceremony the office will translate the wedding certificate and once again get it stamped and deliver or post it to wherever you want. I think the charge for their work is about 1000 baht plus official charges of course, and it is worth every single baht, believe me, for peace of mind.

HL :o

As others have said, around the junction of Sukhumvit Road and the road that the UK embassy is in there are numerous translation offices. Use one of these, for a small cost they will do absolutely everything. They will accompany you to the embassy for youir affirmation then they will translate and take to get the official stamp and deliver the finished article to your hotel. After the legal ceremony the office will translate the wedding certificate and once again get it stamped and deliver or post it to wherever you want. I think the charge for their work is about 1000 baht plus official charges of course, and it is worth every single baht, believe me, for peace of mind.

1,000 Baht, I don't think so. Try closer to 10,000 Baht

Hey litebeer surely you are including all the government charges in your price. If you look at my post I said just for the translation charges. Yes it may have been a bit more than a 1000, I cant remember for sure but it wasnt a lot more. Certainly not 9000 baht or I would have done all the running around myself. lol

Hey litebeer surely you are including all the government charges in your price. If you look at my post I said just for the translation charges. Yes it may have been a bit more than a 1000, I cant remember for sure but it wasnt a lot more. Certainly not 9000 baht or I would have done all the running around myself. lol

Everything exept the the cost of the Embassy letter. Plus the whole thing took about 3 hours from start to finish. So it probably included some tea money for the amphur who married us without the Embassy Letter. The company picked that up from the Embassy the next day.

happylarry, I invite you to reread your original post closely. Seems to me that you included a lot more than just translation services. Oh, I see that you left out a trip across town to the MFA to get things legalized. Also, the official government charges paid by the Thai doing all the running around are next to nothing.

Edited by InterestedObserver

Sorry guys, I stand corrected on all points. I have just checked with my wife (she has a much better memory than me) and she tells me we were charged 6000 baht for everything including translating the marriage certificates. I apologise for the wrong info.