Do You Think It's Possible To Burnout?

ukme

It is not as easy as "just learn the darn language". Firstly, some people DO NOT have the propensity for languages and avoiding a foreign one altogether maybe a way to "save face" ie not to be laughed at. I don't mean to be rude, but is your wife even fully literate (reading and writing) in Thai...because that may indicate to you her ability to grasp a new language.

How many farangs here HAVE TRIED to learn and find Thai almost impossible beyond sawasdee khrub? It maybe age (way past learning a foreign language) or it maybe a lack of ability in picking up a new language.

First generation migrants to a new country tend to flock to familiar surroundings (reverse the situation: farangs hanging out with their own kind in Thaland) and it's usually the next generation that start to assimilate and become proficient in the language of their new country.

True some people pick up languages very easily,not all.

If your going to get hitched to a thai lady in the first place,would n't you want to find one that spoke good english so you could communicate?

Sure if your going to live in thailand and in an area like Isaan,to survive you are going to have to learn thai to survive,in tourist areas not so as most thais will speak some if not good english.

For the OP maybe your lady finds it difficult to pick up the language or maybe she's just lazy.

English is more or less the "world" language and for anyone to get on in life they need to speak it.As she is living in an english speaking country i think it is beholden on her to learn it.My g/f learnt english on the internet and speaks very good english that has enabled her to find good work that pays well and she's never been outside thailand.

Sounds like your lady and her friends have the ghetto mentality,time to take a stand.