Is It A Motorcycle Or A Scooter?

I'm old enough to know that this is more than just a question of engineering concept ... scooters and bikes have totally different life-style philosophies that have resulted in running battles in Brighton (UK) in the past that make Red-shirts v Yellow look like a game of tiddly-winks.

In Europe it's easy to tell a scooter from a motorbike. Scooters have little wheels, a small engine sitting on the swing arm, and a girl on the seat. Bikes have big engines slung below a fuel tank, oily chains, big wheels and a man on board.

But here, where most bikes have small single cylinder motors, big wheels and a person of indeterminate sex on board, it's not so simple.

At the extremes it's easy enough. A Fino is a scooter and a Fireblade is a motorcycle. A Boxer is also clearly a motorcycle and a Mio or Click is probably a scooter?

But what about a Honda Sonic? I reckon it's a motorcycle .... chain drive, engine in frame. And a Nouvo? Looks like a Honda Wave (motorbike?) but has a swinging motor and underseat storage?

What's your view on this most vital of topics.

And what's your ride .... scooter or motorbike?

My view is that this is not a vital topic :D

Up until coming out here, I used to attend the Pioneer run/Ace Cafe(real one) runs to Brighton and Scooterists(as they are now known) and (real) Bikers get along together. Both have examples of works of art and are equally admired.

:o

Dave (Biker)

My view is that this is not a vital topic :D

Up until coming out here, I used to attend the Pioneer run/Ace Cafe(real one) runs to Brighton and Scooterists(as they are now known) and (real) Bikers get along together. Both have examples of works of art and are equally admired.

:o

Dave (Biker)

Used to be a MOD when I was a youngster but these days I am a Biker but I still love the look of Vespas and Lambrettas

I used to care about it. Being cool meant hangin' with other bikers like myself and scooters didn't rate batting an eyelid. Now I just do my own thing and if someone wants to gas bag I'll swap a few stories with em. That someone can be a 1%er or a scooter rider. Life is to short to worry.....